Stephen King's Dark Tower series on TV and in movie

10 Sep 2010 17:22 #1 by ScienceChic
This is one of my all-time favorite series of books. It's been in the works for a long time to be adapted to movie or TV, and it looks like it might be a combo of both. Ron Howard running it makes me happy.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46462

If you’ve not heard, Ron Howard’s plan is to put Stephen King’s “Dark Tower” series of novels into a series a movies, as well as an NBC TV series that would run between the movies.

Find all of EW’s exclusive here. http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/09/steph ... r-casting/

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Oct 2010 14:44 #2 by TPP
They've already made them into comic series, with OUTSTANDING ARTWORK!

04 Oct 2010 18:23 #3 by ScienceChic
I know - I own most of them!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Oct 2010 08:26 #4 by TPP
Waiting until they are in trades, do have the first & second series though.

31 Dec 2010 15:46 #5 by ScienceChic
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47892
New Dark Tower rumoring suggests a ranger and a friend-o in the lead to play The Gunslinger!
Published on: Dec 31, 2010 12:42:32 CST

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with a little bit of rumoring going on with the Ron Howard Dark Tower adaptation.

Last we heard, Howard threw out a bunch of names that they're thinking of for the lead of the franchise, one Roland Deschain. That list included everyone from Viggo Mortensen (the acknowledged fan favorite) to Daniel Craig.

Now the NY Post has run a story http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/wood_ho ... hcuPfV0a0H that there's blood in the water in Hollywood, with agents and managers of all types trying to get in on this franchise. The two most likely at this point are Viggo and Mr. Javier Bardem, according to the Post.

Viggo has the experience in a franchise as large as The Dark Tower could be, but I think that very experience might work against him. Who knows, though. Maybe Roland could be the Indiana Jones to his Han Solo. I love Bardem, but I don't really see that as a perfect fit. He's a fantastic actor and could nail the drama and dark emotion always swelling inside Roland in the later books as well as the cold emotionlessness of The Gunslinger when we first meet him.

My vote is still Guy Pearce. I'd love to hear he's at least in the running. But listen, if either of these two get it I'll be happy. They could be talking about Sam Worthington, you know?

Oh, and while I'm at it, Aaron Paul for Eddie. And just go ahead and cast Zoe Saldana as Detta/Odetta/Susannah. We know you're going to do it anyway, so just go ahead and lock that in early.

What do you guys think?

29 Jan 2011 15:51 #6 by ScienceChic
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48244
Still more THE DARK TOWER updates, including news on shooting schedule, Game component, and release date!!!
Published on: Jan 27, 2011 9:05:24 AM CST

Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here, with yet another update to yesterday's update on THE DARK TOWER.

A source with verifiable inside info on THE DARK TOWER project sent me these handy tidbits:

Hey, Capone. There are genuine plans for a May 13th, 2013, release theatrical, with T.V. hours to follow. [However,] there is no green light in place yet, as the scripts are not done, which means the budgets are not done, but Universal is giving very strong support. There's also a very ambitious Game component being planned that will further utilize elements from the books. [If everything continues on schedule and the budget is approved], it looks like things are coming together for a late-summer or early-September start. Call me Eddie Dean.

Thanks, Eddie. Let me just wrap my brain around the fact that I'm on the brink of living in a world where feature film versions of THE HOBBIT and THE DARK TOWER will be shooting at the same time. *CRRRAAAACKKKK!!!* And, that was the sound of my brain splitting in two.

I also really love the idea that possible THE DARK TOWER game(s) would factor in more of this fully-loaded mythology and story. My hope for this project is growing like a rose in a vacant lot. What does everyone think?

I had to post this - the opening date would be my 13th wedding anniversary, occurring on the 13th of course - it doesn't get any better than that!!! :thumbsup:

29 Jan 2011 16:02 #7 by daisypusher
It does get better. It is on a Friday the 13th.

29 Jan 2011 16:23 #8 by ScienceChic
SWEET!!! Thanks for that info daisypusher!

13 Aug 2011 23:21 #9 by ScienceChic
It's a no-go now. :sadKeenex:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50433
DARK TOWER Collapses!! NBC Universal Pulls Plug On Ron Howard’s Movies And TV Series!!
Published at: Jul 18, 2011

Ron Howard’s plan to mount three Universal motion pictures and two NBC miniseries based on Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” series of novels has collapsed with Comcast-owned NBC Universal’s decision to pass on the sprawling project, according to Deadline Hollywood.

Execs apparently considered the adaptation too costly.

I'll still hold out hope though...
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50598
This Should Happen: A new editorial column by Quint!
Published at: Jul 29, 2011

Darabont has left The Walking Dead amongst word of tension with AMC. His series had the biggest numbers of any pilot ever aired on AMC and brought zombies into the mainstream yet again.

The Dark Tower has crumbled at Universal. Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman’s take on the project, including the very ambitious plan to split the epic story between movies and episodic network TV, is looking for a home.

I think it’s Ka (or fate, if you’re not a Tower junkie yet) these two things happened so close to each other. Can you imagine Darabont being able to tell The Dark Tower at HBO with a Game of Thrones level production value?

15 Aug 2011 06:33 #10 by TPP
[center:1kvvzgip] :Crying: FUDGESICLE! POOPYHEADS!!!!! tongue: [/center:1kvvzgip]

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds