Tron:Legacy (last, but not least!)

08 Dec 2010 00:54 #1 by ScienceChic
The first review! Caution, strong language!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47636

The first TRON was about what a corporation does to things it doesn’t understand or value. In TRON LEGACY, it’s about the artist playing GOD and $!^@&*# it all up. Where does it go from here? I don’t know, I hope we get to find out.

Is it perfect? No. It feels like a middle film. Something that’s getting ready to really kick it up even higher.

Whether you dig the story or not, even the naysayers are going to be blown away by the visuals of the film. The aerial number that takes place on the race to the I/O tower… I think another 5 viewings are in line, just to attempt to process what I was seeing. It’s visually beyond stunning.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Dec 2010 13:18 #2 by ScienceChic
More reviews. I'll be seeing it later this week when my Dad, who introduced me to Science Fiction, comes into town.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47791
Massawyrm Enjoys TRON: LEGACY
Published on: Dec 17, 2010 12:02:14 CST

TRON: LEGACY is an allegory for the dawn of the digital age. Now, be careful how you read that last sentence; it isn’t some lofty, overinflated pomp rhetoric that is supposed to sound cool while actually saying little. I mean it quite literally. This film is an argument about the nature of information and whether or not it should be free, beginning first as a blunt, aggressive, seemingly reckless condoning of digital anarchy before slipping into metaphor and becoming a tale about the naivety of our digital infancy. Make no mistake; there is a very definite through line here about digital freedom and almost every element of the film supports it. That said, as this discussion isn’t as in your face as the visuals, action and music, it can be overlooked and pronounced hollow by those wanting something more overtly complex.

Admittedly, my reaction walking out of the theater was that the film was good, but not great. It wasn’t until the movie began to soak in and I began to wrap my mind around what it was saying that I really started to love it. I get that many folks aren’t going to want to take the time to pick it apart and see what TRON: LEGACY is doing; if you are expecting a tentpole film, odds are you aren’t exactly watching with a mind to dissect it. And in the wake of films like AVATAR, MOON, DISTRICT 9, INCEPTION and STAR TREK, this does seem, at first glance, to be rather simple.

But that by no means is to say that it is.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47786
Capone finds TRON: LEGACY a shiny, sparkly disappointment!!!
Published on: Dec 17, 2010 9:33:02 CST

I've heard some other critics truly bury TRON: LEGACY and I don't think it's film worthy of such a complete panning. There's good stuff here, but it gets lost in so much talk. There was an enthusiasm and loose feeling to the first film that is utterly drained out of this sequel, and that's the biggest shame. And if this entire film is merely a set up for another sequel--as a certain cameo might indicate--then Disney has wasted our time setting us up for something that will likely be bigger and possibly better. Whatever the reasons or motivations, the sad fact is that TRON: LEGACY is a disappointment, but one I'd be willing to see again in theaters just to see it once more with lowered expectations.

And the fanboys talkback, if you have a LOT of time to kill and don't mind spoilers! :pop
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47787

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Dec 2010 15:16 #3 by ScienceChic
Finally saw it myself today. Liked it a lot! If you are into science fiction/fantasy it's worth the big screen price (we did not blow the extra on 3D since we took the kids too). Good story, good acting, fast-paced action, loads of visual eye candy!

Next up: The Green Hornet!

14 Jan 2011 10:31 #4 by ScienceChic
A sequel...? :woo hoo:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48054
The Grapevine says, Disney is about to Green Light a TRON LEGACY sequel...
Published on: Jan 13, 2011 12:54:00 CST

And this was the happy word I received today on the Grapevine of Industry Insiders. TRON LEGACY, a film that many people loved, and a lot of people wanted more from, and that a very vocal minority incessantly bitch about... is getting close, incredibly close to having its SEQUEL announced!

As TRON LEGACY is set to cross $300 million worldwide, the film has proved, beyond a doubt that there is an audience that buys this science fiction fantasy. And as DAFT PUNK's blisteringly awesome TRON LEGACY score continues to power the geek work force of the nation to plow through mindnumbing task after task... Disney is beginning to realize, TRON could be a franchise.

As kids around the country pulled out wall crawling light trail leaving Tron LIGHT CYCLES from under their Christmas trees, Disney has been counting the receipts - and I'm told... it's about to hit the tipping point.

Now the real question is... Where does TRON go from here? There is a plan, but it is being closely guarded. There's a TV show in the works to keep the brand popping till the next Theatrical run, but it looks like us TRON geeks won't be having to sit around for 28 years hanging onto this last one, like we did the first one.

09 Jun 2011 18:15 #5 by ScienceChic
Ooh, TRONification of Earth! Sign me up!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49950
3rd TRON movie has a writer... slowly it begins... the absolute TRONification of Earth! Oh yes!
Published at: Jun 08, 2011

This teaser trailer is longish, but sweet!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhkp04 ... shortfilms

TRON Destiny (TR3N Teaser 2)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xij1tk ... shortfilms

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds