Onion News Network - debuts tonight on IFC!

21 Jan 2011 08:46 #1 by ScienceChic
If you like the Daily Show, you might want to check this out! I'm going to go set up a timer on my DVR right now...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48177
No Joke!! Hercules Deems IFC’s ONION NEWS NETWORK One Of The Funniest Things In The History of History!!
Published on: Jan 21, 2011 8:23:40 CST

“The Onion News Network” leaves me in tears.

The often very silly but superbly crafted parody, whose DNA much more closely resembles “Kentucky Fried Movie” than “The Daily Show,” is a marvel. I’ll even say it compares not unfavorably to the work of the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker team (which crafted KFM before it moved on to “Airplane!” and “The Naked Gun”) at the height of their considerable powers.

If the premises don’t seem ground-breaking, viewers will discover they are handled with extraordinary wit and precision in an inordinate number of series’ many segments.

Somebody involved with writing this show really knows what he or she is doing, and seems certain to mine a mint in the big-screen trade at some point.

It helps a bit that the show airs on cable’s IFC, which zero qualms about serving up uncensored TV-MA material.

Don't miss this one.

Time Magazine says:

… The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are both personality-driven … ONN is darker and more deadpan, an immersive satire that, much like the Onion's Web and print editions, skewers the medium's form above all. …

The New York Times says:

Has it seemed to you lately that the fake-news business has run out of gas? That Jon Stewart and certainly “Weekend Update” on “Saturday Night Live” have grown predictable, even a little desperate? Hang on; there’s a jump-start coming. The real question is whether your brain can handle the surge. “Onion News Network,” a flashy phony news show from The Onion’s humor factory, makes its debut on IFC on Friday night, and it quickly reveals those forerunners to be sluggish by comparison. … unlike with the written wisecracks on, say, “The Colbert Report,” the ONN folks don’t wait around to make sure you caught the joke. It’s as if they’re taunting you: “Maybe you should’ve TiVo’d it, pal.” This is news without mercy in another sense as well: Some of the humor is pretty harsh …

Variety says:

… delightfully deadpan … Admittedly, "The Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" already have this terrain pretty well covered, but given how rare good satire is, there's always room for more.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2011 09:01 #2 by JMC
should be fun.

21 Jan 2011 09:04 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Onion News Network - debuts tonight on IFC!
I saw the onion sports thing and I am not good with satire. i didn't get it. As someone said I am humor challenged with some things.

Wiseguy33 liked it.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds