Your favorite authors

27 Dec 2012 17:15 #21 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Your favorite authors
Another poll of best science fiction books, this time by GeekDad. I like this article, just because they show the entire list of votes - gives me ideas of what to read!

And the Winner is… Reader’s Choice for Top 10 Science-Fiction Novels
By Jason CranfordTeague

With a total of 5,579 votes cast (a maximum of 10 per reader) for the 103 novels nominated, the best Science-fiction novel of all time as selected by the readers of GeekDad is (drum roll…)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Feb 2013 12:22 #22 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Your favorite authors
Ursula K. LeGuin, she has a great imagination for story ideas, "Left Hand Of Darkness" & "Lathe Of Heaven"
Robert Heinlein, another original thinker, libertarian, "Starship Troopers" & "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", likes to use future settings to discuss present day issues.
Ernest Hemingway, very much about honor and codes, "For Whom The Bell Tolls", "Nick Adams Stories."
William Gibson, Cyberpunk author, future distopias, "Burning Chrome" & "Neuromancer"
Edgar Rice Burroughs, very much an old school author, almost Victorian style of damsels in distress, etc. "John Carter of Mars", and "The Land That Time Forgot".

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Feb 2014 14:50 #23 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Your favorite authors
I came across this discussion of favorite SF authors. I will do some exploring later. (For those of you who are relentlessly political, I came across it looking for SF stuff not because it is a site for haters and racists :biggrin: )

Accident or not I think any list of great authors has to include Harper Lee. I have to think she never wrote another book because she could not or did not want to attempt to equal her first.

Perhaps a time traviller gave it to her or PSI'ed it into her mind.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds