A glimpse at the day-to-day tasks of Colorado State Patrol

21 Dec 2017 17:49 #1 by CanyonCourier
Around 4 p.m. — only an hour into his 10-hour shift on Nov. 16 — dispatch called for coverage of a two-vehicle collision on Highway 93 between 82nd Avenue and Indian Head Road. Trooper Christian Poeppel, of Troop 1A Golden, responded that he was en route, turning on his lights as he drove north of Golden on Highway 93.

The scene of the accident was plain, as firefighters and sheriff’s deputies were on-site, blocking off the affected area. Both drivers were still there, with no major injuries.

Poeppel is one of 757 uniformed officers with the Colorado State Patrol. He said an average day on the job includes investigating crashes, citing traffic violators and helping the community.

“I like the job most days,” said Poeppel, an Air Force veteran who previously worked in the aircraft industry. “For me, the most challenging part is not letting the legal and political aspects affect your day-to-day work. ... You work to help people and hold them accountable.”

“Everyone’s in a hurry, and there’s no courtesy anymore,” he said. “And now this single mother of three, who’s going to school and working two jobs, is out a truck.

“You can’t get mad or angry. It’s just sad.”

Around 6 p.m., dispatch called in another crash. This time it’s a motorcycle-versus-deer collision on Highway 126, about 12 miles south of U.S. Highway 285. Poeppel reported he was on his way.

Read more here: www.canyoncourier.com/content/glimpse-da...olorado-state-patrol
By Corinne Westeman
Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:24 am (Updated: December 20, 9:27 am)

Canyon Courier is your source for local news, sports, events, and information in Evergreen, CO, and the surrounding area.
www.canyoncourier.com
Subscribe to help support your local news!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds