Jefferson County facing budget woes

03 May 2019 16:48 #1 by CanyonCourier
The year is not even halfway complete, but departments in Jefferson County have been asked to cut budgets in 2020 largely because of limitations placed on the county by Colorado’s Taxpayer Bill of Rights, also known as TABOR.

According to a press release from the county, Jeffco budget data suggests that the county will need to trim its budget by $16.1 million in order to balance it and maintain an appropriate reserve fund. To do this, the county is requiring a 7 percent budget reduction across all departments with budgets impacted by the general fund.

The county plans to continue discussions about the budget with all departments and elected officials. Additionally, the county is looking for community feedback during a telephone town hall next Wednesday, May 8 at 6:30 p.m. To register, text the code JEFFCO to 828282 or online at vekeo.com/jeffcocolorado.

Read more here: www.canyoncourier.com/content/county-facing-budget-woes
By Deborah Swearingen
Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Canyon Courier is your source for local news, sports, events, and information in Evergreen, CO, and the surrounding area.
www.canyoncourier.com
Subscribe to help support your local news!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 May 2019 07:39 #2 by FredHayek
I don't understand why this is happening. Property values continue to rise, and taxes and fees are not falling. Too much spending last year? The economy is running very nicely now.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 May 2019 08:20 #3 by DDawg
I'm with you Fred, I thought the same things when I heard about this on the (radio) news last week. I would put a fair wager on them spending like frat boys, but there's also the issue of population growth? We're being downright flooded, which brings more crime which means hiring more officers and then supplying those officers with equipment, weages etc. Just thought I'd play devils advocate for a moment. Either way, it doesn't bode well for law enforcement among other things, in the long term imo, because I'm assuming we're not just talking about cutting into Jeffco Sheriff.

-Smokey

05 May 2019 09:21 #4 by FredHayek
If the people of JeffCo want to stop the rollbacks, they can always vote on it with TABOR. Leave the decision in the hands of the voters and not the career politicians.

Denver always seems to approve increased taxes. JeffCo does a better job picking and choosing what we really need.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 May 2019 18:25 #5 by DDawg
Agreed, but you have to have individuals that are savvy at spending everyone's money. At no level of government do I see a whole lot of conservative use, but hey man....that all day kindergarten! Good stuff!

-Smokey

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds