Two mountain lions euthanized in connection with attack

23 Aug 2019 17:25 #1 by CanyonCourier
Two mountain lions, including one that’s believed to have seriously injured an 8-year-old boy from Bailey, were euthanized Thursday.

Wildlife officers with Colorado Parks and Wildlife found the mountain lions after a homeowner reported spotting them following the discovering that a goat was missing. CPW said the homeowner reported seeing the lions “within a mile as the crow flies” from the original attack site in Bailey’s Burland Ranchettes subdivision.

It’s CPW’s policy to euthanize any animal that attacks a human. Following the euthanization, the two animals will undergo a necropsy at the department’s health lab before heading to Wyoming for a DNA analysis at the forensic lab. This will prove whether the mountain lion is the same one who attacked the 8-year-old.

There have been 22 mountain lion attacks on humans in Colorado since 1990. Three have been fatal. There have been three mountain lion attacks already in 2019 — the most in a year since 1998.

Subscribe and read more here: www.canyoncourier.com/content/two-mounta...ed-connection-attack
By Deborah Swearingen
Thursday, August 22, 2019

Canyon Courier is your source for local news, sports, events, and information in Evergreen, CO, and the surrounding area.
www.canyoncourier.com
Subscribe to help support your local news!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Aug 2019 09:27 - 24 Aug 2019 13:31 #2 by ScienceChic
I am deleting my early post that was incorrect. Here is the correct campaign from Platte Canyon Fire Protection District:
plattecanyonfdpio
From our patients family... "Our statement:

Our son is a compassionate and brave little boy. He had surgery to repair multiple lacerations to his head and face. He will need time for additional treatment and healing. We thank everyone for their overwhelming support, expressions of concern and offers of help. At this difficult time, we ask for your patience and the time for our family to adjust and heal. Thank you." www.gofundme.com/f/medical-bills-for-boy...ked-by-mountain-lion

Please share this... Platte Canyon Fire Protection District has verified that this is the only legitimate GoFundMe site established for our local community family, whose child was recently attacked by a mountain lion and remains in the hospital recovering.
The family is extremely appreciative of everyone's thoughts and prayers.
At this point they are still asking for privacy especially from the media.

If you would like to donate gift cards (for fuel, food, etc.etc/please no actual food items at this time), the gift cards can be dropped off at
Platte Canyon Fire Station #2 153 Delwood Drive, Bailey, CO 80421.

We have been in contact with the family, we will be giving a patient update, possibly a family statement soon.

Again THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT #OURCOMMUNITYROCKS

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Aug 2019 12:18 #3 by Mtngal421
We are sorry for the confusion, but the go fund me page that you are referring to IS the one that has been collaborating with the victims family. Again there was some confusion, but the fire department will be sending out a statement that: www.gofundme.com/f/medical-bills-for-boy...ked-by-mountain-lion is a legitimate site. The funds collected will be given directly to the family so that they can cover emergency medical expenses, gas for trips to and from the hospital, time off work, expenses for the child’s recovery and any other bills that arise due to this unforeseen event. The Bailey fire station number 2 is also taking donations for those who do not feel comfortable donating through go fund me. Good people touch many lives, and those that have been touched by this family and their struggle may not know how to support them, that is why their friends and family have set up this page. I hope that everyone can spread the word because Bailey is tight knit community and I know that we can come together to help our neighbors times of need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

26 Aug 2019 12:43 #4 by ScienceChic
Via Platte Canyon Fire Protection District earlier this morning:
"Patient update; with permission from family...
Our young patient had his 2nd surgery yesterday, he continues to persevere and remain brave while healing. Your ongoing thoughts, prayers and support are appreciated.

Another family statement will be released soon."

The GoFundMe has been updated, and the ask reduced. It now includes this information:
"This compassionate young boy has endured multiple surgeries [for major lacerations to his head, face and neck], and he’ll have to face more down the road. With a future unknown, as well as the trauma the entire family has lived through (and continues to face), we’re asking for caring individuals to help in an unimaginably difficult time.

Donations will go toward ongoing medical expenses and recovery, as it will be lifelong. Donations will also go toward travel expenses and lost wages."

If you prefer to provide a gift card for food or fuel, cards of encouragement, etc you can drop those off at Platte Canyon Fire Station #2 153 Delwood Drive, Bailey or there should be collection boxes at Deer Creek Elementary and Fitzsimmons Middle School by now.

Thank you to everyone who has donated and who has lifted this family up in spirit.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Aug 2019 12:43 #5 by homeagain
per 9 NEWS.......DNA match as the killer cougar......so DOW did a great job......:laborday:

01 Sep 2019 12:02 #6 by ScienceChic
'His recovery is unbelievable': 8-year-old boy attacked by mountain lion released from hospital
Author: Allison Sylte
Published: 4:09 PM MDT August 27, 2019

BAILEY, Colo. —

Following two surgeries, the 8-year-old boy who was bitten in the head by a mountain lion is back home and continuing to recover, according to a statement released by his family Tuesday afternoon.

"Our extraordinary son amazes us everyday with his strength and the speed at which he is healing. He is now home and recovering from his second surgery on Sunday afternoon to repair his eye socket and additional injuries," the statement says. "Because of the amazing doctors, nurses and staff of Swedish Medical Center and our son's positive and strong attitude, the pace of his recovery is unbelievable."

In 911 audio released by the Park County Sheriff's Office (it is available in full above), the boy's mother is heard speaking with a dispatcher, who helped guide the family to the fire station and stop some of the bleeding.

The boy was greeted by signs from his community offering him support and wishing him a quick recovery when he came home.

You can see all of those signs on our Blog post here: mymountaintown.com/my-mountain-town-home...s-care-of-each-other

The GoFundMe campaign is currently at $14,085 - thank you to all whom have donated! Here's the link again if you'd like to help: www.gofundme.com/f/medical-bills-for-boy...ked-by-mountain-lion

05 Sep 2019 19:46 - 05 Sep 2019 19:47 #7 by ScienceChic
'I tried to punch it in the eye': 8-year-old boy fights off mountain lion attack with a stick
A mountain lion bit Pike Carlson in the head and dragged him down a hill near his Bailey home. The 8-year-old fought back.
Author: Marc Sallinger, 9News | Published: 5:25 PM MDT September 5, 2019

BAILEY, Colo. — It is a story of bravery in the scariest of circumstances.

When a 65-pound mountain lion attacked 8-year-old Pike Carlson, he knew he had to fight back.

“I was just punching, trying to grab anything that I can, like a stick,” Pike said. “I did find a stick and I tried to get it in the eye but soon the stick snapped.”

Edit to add, the GoFundMe for them: www.gofundme.com/f/medical-bills-for-boy...ked-by-mountain-lion

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds