Development proposals in foothills come with challenges

25 Sep 2020 18:48 #1 by CanyonCourier
In 2019, when a developer proposed a plan for 101 townhomes on 25 acres in Conifer, residents of the U.S. 285 corridor spent hours testifying against the project.

Jefferson County newcomers and natives, young and old, packed the county building in Golden to express their concern about the proposal dubbed Conifer Heights.

At face value, the scene is not an unusual one. Residents are often wary when large-scale developments are proposed in their backyards. But in the mountains of Jefferson County, unique circumstances cause more trepidation and create challenges that have — at least in recent history — led to projects being denied.

For Commissioner Lesley Dahlkemper, who represents the 285 corridor and part of Evergreen, the Conifer Heights case was a wake-up call.

“That case was eye-opening for me as a county commissioner representing the mountain area,” she said. “For me, it truly was a case study in the unique development issues facing our mountain communities.”

Read more here: www.canyoncourier.com/content/developmen...ills-come-challenges
By Deborah Swearingen
Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Canyon Courier is your source for local news, sports, events, and information in Evergreen, CO, and the surrounding area.
www.canyoncourier.com
Subscribe to help support your local news!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds