Potentially Great News for High Speed Internet up here

16 Jun 2011 09:09 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I checked in with Qwest to see if our area was slated for any upgrades for higher than 1.5 Mbps that we have now with DSL. The answer was no.

We had a friend staying with us in May that was here for a national training course with Dishnet. He came back one night to tell us that by this fall, we will have speeds up to 12 MBPS via WildBlue.

They are launching a new satellite in July and the service should be available by September.

Pricing
1MBPS - $45
2MBPS - $54
3MBPS - $64
4MBPS - $74
8MBPS - $99
12 MBPS - $119

http://www.spacenews.com/satellite_tele ... llion.html

http://www.mybluedish.com/blog/wildblue ... ser/30904/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2011 09:55 #2 by pineinthegrass

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: I checked in with Qwest to see if our area was slated for any upgrades for higher than 1.5 Mbps that we have now with DSL. The answer was no.

We had a friend staying with us in May that was here for a national training course with Dishnet. He came back one night to tell us that by this fall, we will have speeds up to 12 MBPS via WildBlue.

They are launching a new satellite in July and the service should be available by September.

Pricing
1MBPS - $45
2MBPS - $54
3MBPS - $64
4MBPS - $74
8MBPS - $99
12 MBPS - $119

http://www.spacenews.com/satellite_tele ... llion.html

http://www.mybluedish.com/blog/wildblue ... ser/30904/

Nice that it will be available. But the price is pretty steep!

Due to delays sending a signal to a satellite and back, I assume there will still be lag which would make it unusable for video game players and too much delay for internet telephone.

16 Jun 2011 10:06 #3 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I am looking for internet access and email speed only, but you are correct on delays. It will be interesting to see if there is much of a delay with this new huge satellite. I have asked for an update on this and will post as soon as I hear

16 Jun 2011 11:04 #4 by V_A
wildblue is still Sat services and they still have the fair use policies that limit your total bandwidth for a day. Kind of like driving a Ferrari in a parking lot.

16 Jun 2011 11:22 #5 by Grady

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: I am looking for internet access and email speed only, but you are correct on delays. It will be interesting to see if there is much of a delay with this new huge satellite. I have asked for an update on this and will post as soon as I hear

The delay is more about the distance, 26,000 miles or so one way rather than the speed of the relay satellite.

16 Jun 2011 15:01 #6 by Wily Fox aka Angela

X_P wrote: wildblue is still Sat services and they still have the fair use policies that limit your total bandwidth for a day. Kind of like driving a Ferrari in a parking lot.

if that is the case, the response is "what's the point?" I hope things change with this service.

16 Jun 2011 20:57 #7 by Wayne Harrison

Grady wrote:

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: I am looking for internet access and email speed only, but you are correct on delays. It will be interesting to see if there is much of a delay with this new huge satellite. I have asked for an update on this and will post as soon as I hear

The delay is more about the distance, 26,000 miles or so one way rather than the speed of the relay satellite.

26,000 miles is the distance from the center of the earth. From Sea Level, it's 22,236 miles. Double that for the up and down paths then quadruple it for the reply and you've got a pretty good latency.

Interesting side note: It was suggested by science fiction writer Arthur C. Clark in 1945:

http://lakdiva.org/clarke/1945ww/

16 Jun 2011 21:12 #8 by pineinthegrass
I suppose they could run multiple, non geocentric satellites at low orbit, where the signal switches over kind of like cell phone towers. That should reduce latency a lot, but cost much more.

16 Jun 2011 22:02 #9 by chocolove
Wild Blue's fair use policy is for the birds...we were on a secured network and we were constantly getting nailed for fair use. They couldn't tell us how or why we were using more than we should. We even upgraded and still got nailed for fair use. I don't trust them and we now have qwest...we get better speeds from them than we ever did with Wildblue even when we upgraded and there is no fair use policy!

16 Jun 2011 22:05 #10 by chocolove
My best day ever was to call and cancel wild blue...they asked me why and I told them!!! They tried to lower my bill and all kinds of things to stay with them. My line to them was "because your service sucks!!!" I am not usually so bold but I had had it with them and their crap that they couldn't prove.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds