tossing lit butts out the car window

11 Jul 2011 20:43 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
is that against the law? witnessed a jerk doing this today in Lakewood. Wrote his license plate number down, make of car and description of driver in case I can call it in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2011 20:56 #2 by jf1acai

CO Litter Laws

Title 18, Article 4, Part 5, Item 11
18-4-511. Littering of public or private property. Statute text (1) Any person who deposits, throws, or leaves any litter on any public or private property or in any waters commits littering.

I think there is a number to call to report that, but I don't have time to look it up right now.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jul 2011 20:57 #3 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I am thinking more about fire danger than just littering...thanks for your input

11 Jul 2011 21:08 #4 by The Viking
I have let people know quite loudly if they do that. I have made people get out and pick it up when we were stopped in a construcion zone up here. I got so into it in Evergreen after a car threw two lit cigarettes out the window last summer. I followed them for miles till they parked downtown and then laid into them. Someone must have seen it so the cops showed up. I told them what they did and where and they told me that I shouldn't have gone quite that far but they let me go. They were pissed at the other car and told me that they would give them a ticket. Not sure if they did but I will bet they think twice about throwing lit cigarettes out again.

11 Jul 2011 21:10 #5 by The Viking
A new law should be made. Anyone who starts a forrest fire with a cigarette, not only pays a fine and goes to jail but loses all of their posessions too, including their home! A-Holes!

11 Jul 2011 21:26 #6 by otisptoadwater
*CSP Anytime you see someone toss a butt out of their car window dial *CSP and let the dispatcher know what you observed!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

11 Jul 2011 23:10 #7 by The Viking
Thanks! Probably better than my approach.

11 Jul 2011 23:41 #8 by otisptoadwater

The Viking wrote: I have let people know quite loudly if they do that. I have made people get out and pick it up when we were stopped in a construcion zone up here. I got so into it in Evergreen after a car threw two lit cigarettes out the window last summer. I followed them for miles till they parked downtown and then laid into them. Someone must have seen it so the cops showed up. I told them what they did and where and they told me that I shouldn't have gone quite that far but they let me go. They were pissed at the other car and told me that they would give them a ticket. Not sure if they did but I will bet they think twice about throwing lit cigarettes out again.

Last time I chased down a car I had the driver pull a .38 snub nose revolver on me. Eventually the driver stops and I pull in behind him. I am a larger fellow (been mistaken for Bigfoot a couple of time but that's a whole other story), so 6'3", 245 pound me strides up to the car with the guy who tossed the lit butt. The diver's side door opens and the driver asks me if I had any questions for him while he pointed the revolver at me. I told him I didn't appreciate his flicking a lit cigarette butt out the window, informed him I had already dialed *CSP, and waited for his reaction. Fortunately for me the other party chose too drive away and I didn't follow him.

Bottom line road rage is dangerous, let the police and state patrol deal with these people instead of taking it on yourself. I retired by body armor in 2006 and I don't plan on wearing it again unless zombies invade and I'm forced to put it back on to defend what's left of the United States of America.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

12 Jul 2011 03:54 #9 by The 500 Foundation
you have to be able to ID the driver and also willing to appear in court
to testify in order for CSP to issue a citation.

12 Jul 2011 06:08 #10 by RenegadeCJ
Would a cell phone video pic of the guilty party tossing the butt out the window suffice for evidence?

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds