Udall press release about firefighters.

13 Jul 2011 13:15 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Udall press release about firefighters. was created by CinnamonGirl
It is sort of nice but he seemed to make it all about him.

States News Service
States News Service
July 12, 2011
The following information was released by Colorado Senator Mark Udall:

Were only halfway through the year and Colorado alone has seen over 250 fires, with millions more acres burned across the country. The firefighters who put themselves in harms way for our protection deserve official recognition and our renewed commitment to help prevent these wildfires.

Thats why this past week, Sen. Orrin Hatch and I introduced a bipartisan resolution to recognize the heroic efforts of firefighters to contain the numerous wildfires that have already affected thousands of people throughout the West this year. This resolution, which passed unanimously in the Senate, also encourages people to look for ways to prevent wildfires in their communities and to remember our firefighters and those who have lost because of fire.

As of June 29, 2011, more than 32,189 wildfires have burned more than 4.7 million acres of land nationwide, more acres burned than in all of 2010. This number also exceeds the 50-year average of total acres burned in an entire year by approximately 600,000 acres. Those numbers translate to a lot of families across our state and the country who have lost loved ones and homes this year, including the fallen firefighters who fought to keep our communities safe.

I've been fighting for years to make sure Colorado gets the attention and resources we need to keep our forests healthy, and to deal with beetle-killed trees and the threat they pose to our homes, livelihoods and recreation areas. Coloradans across the state can also renew their commitment to this cause with me. There are hundreds of volunteer opportunities across Colorado to help with fire restoration and stewardship of our outdoor resources.

I also hope everyone will join me in thanking their local firefighters. The men and women of our firefighting units quite literally stand between our communities and the unthinkable loss of lives and homes. Their heroism deserves our recognition and our thanks.

Copyright 2011 States News Service
States News Service

http://www.fireengineering.com/index/ar ... 34192.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2011 15:08 #2 by Mtn Gramma

CinnamonGirl wrote: It is sort of nice but he seemed to make it all about him.

"I" and "me" are easier for a politician to spell/say than "firefighters" or "others". tongue:

13 Jul 2011 21:35 #3 by jf1acai
'Recognition' and 'Thanks' are just hollow politician speak - meaningless.

How about we give them some real support - decent pay, equipment, and real support for them and their families when they get injured or killed in the line of duty?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

13 Jul 2011 23:43 #4 by Mtn Gramma
Sorry, jf, there's no I or me in your proposal. Won't happen.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds