So there I was. . . The Tale of the B's [new pics page 3]

15 Jul 2011 16:41 - 19 Jul 2011 12:59 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I found a bat on our coffee table Wednesday night. It wasn't moving, but wasn't stiff, so I put it out under the awning on our back deck in my hammock. It was still there yesterday, so I called DOW since they are interested in dead bats (but mostly in winter) as they are tracking this fungus that is killing bats by the boat loads back east. They didn't want it, so I was headed out back to bury it as I didn't want any other wildlife to get it in case of rabies.

I am headed up our backyard with a shovel and the bat in a towel and I hear this god awful noise coming from a big ponderosa pine right in front of me where I was headed to bury this bat. It sounded kinda like how a gorilla sounds when they are startled/nervous - very breathy and in and out guttural noises and loud. I hightailed right back into the house.

It is a mom and her two cubs napping. While that is awesome and all, I am not too pleased that she is comfortable enough to bring both little ones and climb this tree about 50 feet from our back deck.

pointing out all three bears

here's how close the tree is

her head is pointed down and if you look hard, you can see the light brown of her nose

mom is "sitting" on one branch with nose resting on another branch
in this, if you look, you can see her nose and claws from one of her back feet

one of the cubs

If I get any better shots or a quick movie, I'll post, but I am NOT going off the deck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jul 2011 16:49 #2 by Wily Fox aka Angela
they are gone...but makes you really think about who/what's out there during the day. I am very cautious at night, but you think you walk around on your property in the daytime. False assumption. I am just glad she let me know she was there and not liking me getting close.

15 Jul 2011 17:44 #3 by RivendaleFarms
Holy Crap, Ang! Never would occur to me to look up for snoozing bears that close to the house during the day! Very glad she gave you a loud and clear "back off, sistah" before you got any closer!

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

15 Jul 2011 18:31 #4 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I've heard them Huff (loud expelling of air through the nose) when they are unhappy... (kinda like Al Gore in the 2000 debate but louder) like when we chase them off and they stop half way up the hill and Huff... this was Huffing on Hyperventilation. It was a crazy sound. When I heard it, I immediately stopped, not wanting to figure it out, I just turned and headed back as fast as I could, knowing that whatever it was, I did not want to be outside with it any longer.

15 Jul 2011 19:17 #5 by RivendaleFarms
On the ground they'll do the bluff and bluster, but I wouldn't count on it being a fake out with li'l cubbies right there. Plus, I'm guessing they don't bluff much up in a tree. Gotta admit, as scary as it had to be at the time (and definitely a concern in your yard at the moment), it's still pretty darn cool. (Easy for me to say - not my yard.)

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

15 Jul 2011 19:59 #6 by Grady

15 Jul 2011 20:08 #7 by Wily Fox aka Angela
check this out.. and none of these sounds were the ones... still looking

http://www.bear.org/website/index.php?o ... 9&Itemid=1

here is a good article, too

http://www.bearsmart.com/resources/nort ... munication

15 Jul 2011 20:08 #8 by The Viking
Those are amazing! What area do you live in?

15 Jul 2011 20:53 #9 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Green Valley Ranch in Conifer. I think this is the same mom that brings her youngin's around every year.

15 Jul 2011 20:57 #10 by FernForestFarm
Came out of the house yesterday morning to take The Tank to the dog run...all I could hear was the deep sleep breathing of a momma bear/cubs. Don't know where they are 'stationed' but somewhere close to the back door...

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds