Songs that reverberate in your soul

04 Aug 2011 05:31 #1 by Rockdoc
There are tunes that go beyond songs I really like. There are some whose lyrics and melody combine to reach me on a level that I can only describe as talking to me. A few that come to mind are: Dust in the wind, Love Me, Hey Jude, Desperado, Prayer in Open D, Truly Madly Deeply. It is obvious that these tunes convey something that resonates with me. A good question might be what do these songs say about me?

That aside, what tunes do you have that seem to reach down inside you to resonate with who you are?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Aug 2011 13:26 #2 by ComputerBreath
Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head.

My dad was a fantastic guitar player and singer, and when I was young (like around 5 or so), he played and sang in a band that performed this song (ad nauseum). I loved the song then, as now, but didn't truly "get" the words until I was older. Now I listen to the song and the words about never giving up...what a great lesson.

Also, Sad Eyes by Robert John which was a #1 song in 1979. I know it is supposed to be about a couple who is breaking up because his wife (or girlfriend) is coming back, but since this song came out shortly after my sister was murdered...it spoke volumes to me, especially the refrain below. I could hear my sister telling me not to cry that she was gone.

Sad eyes, turn the other way
I don't wanna see you cry
Sad eyes, you knew there'd come a day
When we would have to say 'goodbye'

04 Aug 2011 13:40 #3 by archer
So many, maybe too many. Songs that speak to me often reverberate in my mind for days, and come back to me unexpectedly....a few just off the top

Rocky Mountain High
Blowin' in the Wind
Yesterday
I'll Follow the Sun

04 Aug 2011 13:47 #4 by The Viking
Agree with archer on one. Rocky Mountain High

[youtube:2gq0boy2]
[/youtube:2gq0boy2]

[youtube:2gq0boy2]
[/youtube:2gq0boy2]

04 Aug 2011 13:49 #5 by The Viking
[youtube:3daceij4]
[/youtube:3daceij4]

04 Aug 2011 13:56 #6 by Grady
for reasons best left unsaid :wink:
[youtube:29cxnjlu]
[/youtube:29cxnjlu]

Crazy by Willie

And many many more
Archer on Blowin' inthe wind :like:

04 Aug 2011 14:24 #7 by bailey bud
I like music. At my peak music collecting days, had about 350 albums (legal - plus a few more bootlegs).
I've gotten rid of almost every record and tape that I ever owned, though. I can find almost anything on the internet - for free.

A couple of the items I've held onto - mostly because they push buttons:
- Seal , Love's Divine
- Fourplay's version, Why can't it wait Till Morning - man, this song is CRUSHING
- Elton John, The End will Come
- Pat Metheny, Last Train Home (no lyrics - but I still cry whenever I hear it - love the vocal chorus)
- Aaron Neville, I shall be Released (actually a Dylan song - but I like Neville's version, better)
- Rod Stewart/Jeff Beck, People get Ready (put on the headphones and crank it up -- great guitar)

The last three are going to be played at my memorial service one day (no, I don't have any immediate plans)

04 Aug 2011 22:45 #8 by Rockdoc

The Viking wrote: [youtube:a1xskw3q]

[/youtube:a1xskw3q]

I'd forgotten about this one. It too means a whole lot more to me today as a father than back when it first came out. I'll be playing it over and over now.

04 Aug 2011 22:52 #9 by otisptoadwater
[youtube:q2w3al95]
[/youtube:q2w3al95]

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Aug 2011 22:54 #10 by Rockdoc
We all bring our personal experiences to music, in this case songs. Those that touch me on a fundamental level reflect my internal struggle, an effort to reconcile parental conditioning with leaving myself vulnerable in relationships. Yesterday I think I've finally come to a better understanding of who I am and why I've behaved the way I have. More importantly, I now see clearly my path and the direction it's going. Never have I felt more at peace with myself. In turn, I'm at much more peace with others.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds