Qwest/Century Link problems

23 Aug 2011 06:40 - 23 Aug 2011 07:34 #1 by CC
I am having to re-boot my modem several times a day to access the internet in all this bad weather. Is anyone else having a problem in the Bailey area? Century Link tells me my modem is bad. Any techies out there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Aug 2011 07:08 #2 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Qwest/Century Link problems
I have Centurylink and I have had no problems - now t-mobile is a different story. If I don't stay absolutely still in a certain spot (which changes daily), I have a really good chance of losing the signal. But that is only at home.

23 Aug 2011 07:43 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Qwest/Century Link problems
Is the modem from the company or yours? Is it DSL?

23 Aug 2011 08:31 #4 by BearMtnHIB
Most likely you are having modem problems. It could be the power supply thingy that provides power to the modem, if the transformer falls out of spec- it will cause the modem to reboot over and over.

I experienced this on my modem.

If the modem belongs to qworst or century link- or whatever they call themselves these days- have them send you a new one.

23 Aug 2011 08:40 #5 by Nobody that matters
I'm loosing DSL fairly often as well - I just unplug the modem for a few seconds, plug it back in and it's good to go.

It's always happened - even before we all had heard of century-link.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

23 Aug 2011 08:57 #6 by CinnamonGirl
If the modem is from the company, call them and ask for a new modem. They get outdated.

23 Aug 2011 09:01 #7 by Nobody that matters

CinnamonGirl wrote: If the modem is from the company, call them and ask for a news modem. They get outdated.

It's not. The one they sent me originally went out, and they wanted to charge me ($alot$) for a new one. I bought aftermarket instead.

23 Aug 2011 09:02 #8 by BearMtnHIB

I'm loosing DSL fairly often as well - I just unplug the modem for a few seconds, plug it back in and it's good to go.

You should not be losing DSL "fairly often". The only time this should happen is if the power is disrupted- or if they renew the IP address - which happens every few days.

If your modem is rebooting several times per day- it could be a modem going bad or - the power supply thingy like I said. In my case- it was the power supply transformer.

It started with rebooting a few times a day and got worse until it spent all it's time rebooting.

23 Aug 2011 09:03 #9 by CinnamonGirl
Comcast and Quest rent them out and change for free. This sounds like a modem issue, I take it you cannot get a technician out to check it out?

23 Aug 2011 09:05 #10 by Nobody that matters

BearMtnHIB wrote:

You should not be losing DSL "fairly often". The only time this should happen is if the power is disrupted- or if they renew the IP address - which happens every few days.

If your modem is rebooting several times per day- it could be a modem going bad or - the power supply thingy like I said. In my case- it was the power supply transformer.

It started with rebooting a few times a day and got worse until it spent all it's time rebooting.

"Fairly often" to me is more than twice a week. If it starts happening any more often than that, and can't be blamed on bad weather, I'll make some equipment changes.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds