Where were you on 9/11?

31 Aug 2011 04:59 #31 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Where were you on 9/11?
A little off-topic, but I thought it interesting...

http://cartoonistsremember911.com/
Cartoonists Gather to Reflect

Sunday, September 11th, 2011, marks the 10th anniversary of 9/11, one of the darkest days in American history. In respect of the occasion, the major comic syndicates have rallied their cartoonists to dedicate their strips on that Sunday to pay homage to those who lost their lives or were injured in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. All of the nearly 100 participating strips, many of which appear on Sunday newspaper editions in color in their own special pullout section, will have an overarching September 11th remembrance theme.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Aug 2011 08:17 #32 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Where were you on 9/11?

Joe wrote: Some interesting stories here, especially that several were flying somewhere that day.

It is amazing when you see how many millions of Americans are flying every day.

Anyone else get spooked by low flying aircraft months after 9/11?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

31 Aug 2011 09:12 #33 by ScienceChic
No, but I do miss airplane free skies. It was much quieter during those few days...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Aug 2011 11:10 #34 by Local_Historian
It was creepy, SC - very creepy. So silent.

I was in Iowa. We lived in Davenport, literally 13 blocks from the Mississippi River, 15 blocks from Asenal Island on that river.

My husband was in Philadelphia for a training seminar - a week long affair. I was a substitute teacher at the time, and it was a rare day off. So I was up, dressed, eating breakfast before the kids needed to get up for school. As always, I had the morning news on, and they were replaying the first plane hit- speculation was that it was still an accident. Then the second plane hit, and everyone realized this was no accident. I called Colorado and woke up my dad, but only told him to turn on the news, something was happening. I got the kids up, dressed and fed, and across the street to our best friends house. By this point, the elementary and junior high schools were canceled (high school was already in session and they ended up closing early as well), the bridges across the river were closed, and Arsenal Island was on lockdown. We had a friend who worked at the Pentagon everyone was frantically trying to reach. My husband ended up calling me at the friend's house from the seminar - everyone had lined up to use the phone banks and call home. They were safe, and that was our biggest concern at the time.

We recieved phone calls from military friends, tell us to have "go" boxes ready and by the door - stuff I could get in the car in less than 3 minutes - and if they called, day or night, I was to go - north and west, fast as I could. I kept the car full of gas and slept with the phone. The boxes stayed by the door for three weeks. It was "shhhh" stuff that we, the general public, were not supposed to know, but proof that soldiers feel duty to family and friends first.

For the next couple days, all our friends lived in each other's pockets. School was back on two days later, though a lot of kids didn't go. I decided to not work that week. Husband's seminar ended a day early, but he was stuck, so we started making plans to go get him, when his best friend came to the house, asked for the keys, and drove out to get him. They were home in a bit over 30 hours - literally a non stop drive out, time for a shower and food, and they got in the car and came back. Here's how the friend put it - he had a serious craving for a realy Philly cheese steak sandwich, so he was of a mind to go get one - could he borrow the car for a couple days? They still call it the Philly Cheese Steak Run.

In the meantime, two of the bridges across the Mississippi reopened, with miltary presence on them for weeks. Arsenal Island was very much closed down and armed to the teeth. Barges were stopped for days, and finally let through after thorough inspections.

We did hear from our friend stationed at the Pentagon about a week later; turned out his alarm clock had failed that morning, making him late, but if he hurried, he could still get on duty on time, So he hurried. But then he got into unusual traffic- all stopped. When the plane hit the Pentagon, in his duty section, he was stuck in traffic.

My brother in law didn't tell us this until years later, but he lived on the Jersey side of the river then, and they watched the towers fall. It devistated them.

Several of our military friends got recalled to active duty, and the internet communities blew up - most activity ever - or since.

31 Aug 2011 11:19 #35 by t g
Replied by t g on topic Where were you on 9/11?

Science Chic wrote: No, but I do miss airplane free skies. It was much quieter during those few days...

Funny you mention that. That's one of the spooky things I remember...
I was living in Quincy, MA, a suburb of Boston. I remember seeing military jets patrol the skies during those days. Watching them stirred up an odd mix of a little uncertainty mixed with some of the emotion that's best represented by the song from Team America's opening credits...America, F#$% Yeah!

31 Aug 2011 11:39 #36 by ScienceChic

Local_Historian wrote: Husband's seminar ended a day early, but he was stuck, so we started making plans to go get him, when his best friend came to the house, asked for the keys, and drove out to get him. They were home in a bit over 30 hours - literally a non stop drive out, time for a shower and food, and they got in the car and came back. Here's how the friend put it - he had a serious craving for a realy Philly cheese steak sandwich, so he was of a mind to go get one - could he borrow the car for a couple days? They still call it the Philly Cheese Steak Run.

This part made me chuckle a little out loud - what a good friend, and awesome senses of humor!

The reason I noticed the missing airplanes, and it wasn't creepy to me, was that hubby traveled a lot for work and it was a small comfort knowing that he had nowhere he could go, as unfortunate as the circumstances were that created that condition.

My story's nothing special - we'd moved to CO just 2 months earlier, I'd gotten a lab job almost as soon as I got here, but due to bureaucratic university paperwork crap, I'd started working only a few weeks prior. We never watched the news, or at that time even listened to the radio in the morning, but hubby's sister in Iowa called us after the 1st plane and said the same thing - turn on the TV, didn't say why. We saw the 2nd plane hit, and spent the next 2 hours watching in stunned silence, both getting in late (neither boss said anything, we were all in shock). We were thankful that hubby wasn't stuck in some other city trying to get home too.

One of what will surely be many 9/11 related articles that will be posted in the next couple of weeks (it looks like there's a lot quoted, but the article's 2 pages long, just FYI. Much more contained in the article!):

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... A_facebook
Twin Towers Forensic Investigation Helps Revise Building Codes, Despite Critics
Federal disaster investigators issued 31 recommendations to improve the safety of high-rises and emergency responses, but critics emerged
By Charles Q. Choi | August 31, 2011

Even veteran disaster investigators were stunned by the fall of the Twin Towers on September 11, 2001. The next thoughts of the researchers who probed the calamity, aside from outrage, were how and why it happened from an engineering perspective. Why did WTC 1 stand nearly twice as long as WTC 2 after the impact of the aircraft? How could World Trade Center Building 7, which a plane did not hit, stand for seven hours and then collapse? And could such building failures occur elsewhere? Answers to all these questions have not only solved mysteries but also have led to changes in international building codes that may help prevent future tragedies.

the team of more than 200 investigators gathered all the evidence they could to reconstruct the situation the buildings faced before and after the catastrophe. They analyzed 236 pieces of steel obtained from the wreckage, representing all grades of steel used in the buildings and including several pieces impacted by the aircraft or affected by fire. They obtained some 7,000 photographs and roughly 7,000 video segments totaling in excess of 150 hours from the media, public agencies and individual photographers. They compiled and reviewed tens of thousands of pages of documents and interviewed more than 1,000 people who had been on the scene or had been involved with the design, construction and maintenance of the buildings. They conducted lab tests involving large fires and the heating of structural components.

The investigators then developed computer models of how each tower was damaged upon impact, how the jet fuel dispersed, how the fires evolved across each floor, how the structures heated and how they ultimately failed. These simulations of the structures and the physical properties of their materials were extraordinarily complex, with the aircraft impact analysis requiring computations "that were accurate over microseconds," Sunder recalls. At times, researchers had to invent new modeling capabilities to get the simulations to work, such as mapping of fire-generated environmental temperatures onto the structural components of the buildings.

It turns out that even a combination of high-speed collisions by two airliners and fires across multiple floors would not have destroyed the Twin Towers, according to NIST's final 2005 report on their collapse. The robustness and size of the structures helped them withstand the hits, and in the absence of damage, fires as intense as the ones the towers faced would likely not have led to collapse.

Unfortunately, the impacts dislodged fireproofing insulation that coated steel in the floors and columns, leaving the metal vulnerable to weakening under fire. The ceiling sprinklers also did not work, because the water supplying them was cut off by the collisions. Ultimately, WTC 2 collapsed more quickly than WTC 1 because it had more aircraft damage to the building core. Given how little time each tower had to evacuate, if both towers had been fully occupied with 40,000 people total instead of the estimated 17,400 present, about 14,000 occupants might have died instead of the 2,749 who did perish in the attacks.

As to what happened with NIST's recommendations, "23 changes to the 2009 editions of the International Codes and another 17 changes to the 2012 editions, responsive to the recommendations, have been adopted," Sunder says. For instance, buildings taller than 420 feet are now required to include an extra exit stairwell or a specially designed elevator that occupants can use for evacuations. Also, stairwells in buildings more than 75 feet high must now have glow-in-the-dark markings that show the exit path even when lighting is out or dim.

REBIRTH: 1 World Trade Center now under construction.
Image: Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

11 Sep 2011 07:28 #37 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Where were you on 9/11?
So, morning of 9/11 I was getting my son ready for school and my husband called me. All he said was "you need to turn on the TV". I asked why and he said "Robyn just turn on the TV" So I changed it to 4 and saw the plane. I called him back and asked questions but he could not answer them. My daughter was going to school in Nebraska and I hated being so far from her. I won't get into the boring details, these were the big details of what I remember.

I remember calling my husband and telling him I was convinced that everyone got out when the first tower fell. I called and kept saying "everyone got out right?" he just kept telling me that he didn't know. I could not wrap my head around what was happening just like everyone else.

I remember hearing the crash of the other two planes and I was convinced every city was going to have an attack. Called my brother and we just cried.

My daughters friend and her mother, my friend, lived in DC and her husband is a lobbyist out there he was right across the street from the white house. They just locked them all down. But were okay at the time.

A couple other friends of ours were in France and was not able to get back for a week because of the grounding of planes. They had 3 little kids at the time here being watched by their mother. That had to be terrifying.

My poor daughter was really scared but was okay and my son was too young to really get the significance at the time. I am actually glad about that.

I will say that my biggest memory of this day was congress singing God Bless America at the end of this clip. It was a really bad day and I will be happy when today is over and especially if we get out of this safely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH_6EUCILew

I just want to say.... The world has been through many things. We are not the only people to be attacked. However, I think of all those innocent people that did nothing to the people that carried out this horrific crime against humanity. The children who lost their parents. The wars now and people being killed including the people who planned this attack. I think the ambush on Bin Laden was just as bad. There was no due process. I hope we can still keep our heads and ideals and not let this change us more than it already has as a society. I have always believed that revenge does not make things better. Or make you feel better. When I have gotten into that mode it just makes me feel worse. Blame those who did this not the ones who just happen to live near the people that did this.

We and New York came out stronger and that my friends is something I was not sure would happen on that day.

Prayers and peace to all those who lost something on September 11th, 2001.

11 Sep 2011 11:06 #38 by ScienceChic
[youtube:3d8va1la]
[/youtube:3d8va1la]
9/11 Bud Commercial - AIRED ONLY ONCE

They only aired it once so as not to benefit financially from it - they just wanted to acknowledge the tragic event ......

11 Sep 2011 14:22 #39 by mozartsmom
Replied by mozartsmom on topic Where were you on 9/11?
I was working with my child care children and had a son home from school as he was off track. I had to go to Costco as I needed to buy milk for the children. I had one parent ask me if I was planning on taking the children anywhere, and I told her about the grocery run. She asked that I call her when I returned.

The skies were clear and nearly no vehicles on the road. The young children did not really have any idea what had happened. They were still carefree and learning about their world.

We did rent a silly movie and watched it that evening. We had absorbed entirely too much of the violence through the media.

God Bless all of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice that day.

12 Sep 2011 15:25 #40 by RCCL
Replied by RCCL on topic Where were you on 9/11?
I was sitting in Mr. Carlson's history class, starting my sophmore year at CHS. I know they may not hear it now obviously, but I want to thank whomever made the decision to put the television coverage on throughout the school. It would have been very easy to keep the students from knowing, but they didn't. They turned on the TVs and let the students watch as the tragedy unfolded, and it means a lot more to me now that it did then.

I have a friend from NYC, who was there when the attacks happened. He won't tell the story of that day, but has a pictures of the city the day after, not of the rubble or the destruction, but of a city completely devoid of taxis; they were being kept away in the days that followed.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds