Where were you on 9/11?

29 Aug 2011 14:04 #11 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Where were you on 9/11?
We were having coffee before heading out to our respective jobs when it happened......I really could not believe what I was seeing. Then it hit home, my son lives close by, he can see the twin towers from his kitchen window, and walks through there on his way to work. We spent a lot of time on the phone trying to reach him and couldn't, I finally reached my daughter-in-law who was already at work on long island.....she told us my son had seen it happen from their window, and was OK...most phone service, both land line and cell, were overloaded. If I think on it today, I still can feel that horrible pit in my stomach that my son could have been there when it happened, if it had happened a little later, or if he had left for work a little earlier.

They still live in NYC, same place, and no twin towers in their view. But neither one of them has been to ground zero, he worked at home for a couple years, then opened an office in another part of the city.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Aug 2011 14:12 #12 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Where were you on 9/11?
One of my hunting buddies was out in the field that morning and finally noticed the commercial jets weren't flying and called home.

I don't know if I would have noticed the missing commercial aircraft.

History? This is one of the few times I felt a part of history. I was too young for JFK and Reagan's being shot I only heard about second hand.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Aug 2011 14:30 #13 by Martin Ent Inc
We were hunting too. Didn't know about it for 12 days. Did notice alot of satallite activity at night but never really noticed the airplanes not in the air.

29 Aug 2011 18:18 #14 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Where were you on 9/11?

I am Woman wrote: I really looked forward to reading this thread. I guess the most notable historical event to hit this country in our lifetime isn't important to some of you. Showing disrespect to someone like WayneH is uncalled for. I'll go look at the LA Times link. It can't be as disrepectful as this forum.

Hi I am Woman......ANOTHER perspective.....I'm 64 Year young.....about 48 hours from today (10years ago) I boarded a non-stop flight from Anchorage,Ak. to Atlanta Geo.......I had been living in Wasillia, Ak. on an acre of
land,capable of living off the grid if necessary......9 hours later I landed in Atlanta,Geo.in the morning of Sept.1st 2001. We secured
an appt. 3 blocks away from my husbands' work office and waited for the majority of our belongings to arrive via rail. 10 days later
the event that will FOREVER change the way we look at the world occurred. I sat ALONE in a bare apartment,no family,no friends,no
understanding of "big city life" and watched the event unfolded on a 24 inch TV propped up on a chair. My husband was "mission critical"
at work and could NOT be with me. So-o-o when Wayne posts that he dreads this timeframe......I UNDERSTAND. The events that unfolded thru the following hours and days were MIND NUMBING for me.....I had NEVER lived east of the Miss. River,born in Colorado,
I had divided my life from Colorado to Alaska and it's great vastness of space.......the timeframe was a horrendous experience for me
and reliving the event is NOT one of my favorite things to do......it almost broke my marriage.....Just so you KNOW.

29 Aug 2011 18:30 #15 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Where were you on 9/11?
I was driving into Denver , it was all over the radio, I got to my office and watched the carnage. I called a couple of people I knew in NYC ( I lived there for a few years). A few days later I got the news that Erica Van Acker, a friend died in the attacks. A wonderful person died needlessly.

29 Aug 2011 18:58 #16 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic Where were you on 9/11?
I was on Lake Powell, we knew something had happened, but were not clear exactly what. No newspapers available. No planes in the night sky. On the way home we stopped at a rest area in Glenwood Canyon, everyone that we saw looked shell shocked. I didnt know exactly what had happened until the Sunday paper came.

29 Aug 2011 19:05 #17 by ShilohLady
Replied by ShilohLady on topic Where were you on 9/11?
I work for a defense agency. I heard about the second crash on my car radio as I was pulling into the parking lot. For some reason, I walked around the building to the second entrance and met a co-worker in front of the elevators, she told me that another plane had crashed into the pentagon. We went upstairs and immediately into the conference room where several of us stood around the tv in shock.

Later, we heard from a co-worker who was in DC giving a briefing about a mile from the Pentagon. He said that the first indication he had was all the cell phones going off... eventually they cancelled the meeting (with people in from all over the country). There were 3 people there from our Denver office plus one from Columbus who claimed to know some back ways out of town. One had a minivan as their rental car, they left the other cars at their respective hotels and drove straight back to Denver.

29 Aug 2011 19:07 #18 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Where were you on 9/11?
I heard about it on the radio as I was driving to work. Spent most of the day on the Internet.

I did not know anyone directly involved, but many friends and acquaintances were attending a corporate conference at the World Trade Center on February 26, 2008, so it definitely got my attention.

I remember how quiet it seemed with all the airlines shut down.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

29 Aug 2011 21:53 #19 by Residenttroll returns
I was in my pent house suite of a Seattle hotel (free upgrade) ...I was schedule to leave for New York later that day instead I hijacked my rental car and drove back to Denver. When I heard a plane went down in PA, I checked out immediately. I was just two blocks from the Needle in Seattle.

Ironically, I was originally scheduled to be in New York (near the Twin Towers) on 9/11; however, my Seattle client wanted to meet on 9/11 instead of 9/12. The schedule was changed a week earlier.

29 Aug 2011 22:01 #20 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Where were you on 9/11?

I was in my pent house suite of a Seattle hotel (free upgrade) ...I was schedule to leave for New York later that day instead I hijacked my rental car and drove back to Denver. When I heard a plane went down in PA, I checked out immediately. I was just two blocks from the Needle in Seattle.

Ironically, I was originally scheduled to be in New York (near the Twin Towers) on 9/11; however, my Seattle client wanted to meet on 9/11 instead of 9/12. The schedule was changed a week earlier.

VL, is that you? With better spelling?

:lol:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds