A walk down memory lane.....

15 Jul 2010 13:22 #161 by PrintSmith

JMC wrote:

Sunshine Girl wrote: Anyone remember that Sears and Robuck (sp?) had little stamps and books that you could save up to buy things with?

I remember Green stamps and Soupy Sales

Speaking of Green Stamps, I remember an incident from my own formative years around 1968. My uncle and aunt (my mom's twin sister) had the children from both families (7 in total at the time) in their 1960 2-door Chevy (that's right, nine people in the car) when my uncle pulled into the gas station. My parents had dropped all of us off with my aunt and uncle so that they could go shopping and we all piled into the car to go to the local public swimming pool. The proprietor of the station, upon seeing so many children in the car, gave my uncle double the Green Stamps that his purchase entitled him to with words to the effect that with that many mouths to feed he needed all the help he could get............

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jul 2010 19:17 #162 by Wayne Harrison
My parents always called our refrigerator an "ice box" -- a throwback to the days of their youth.

[youtube:1ku2ghst]
[/youtube:1ku2ghst]

I cooled off with Kool-Aid (just 5 cents a package). "Add water and some sugar...." Actually LOTS of sugar..

[youtube:1ku2ghst]
[/youtube:1ku2ghst]

19 Jul 2010 10:36 #163 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic A walk down memory lane.....
Sears Chirstmas Catalog, was all the research we need for our list I Santa....

19 Jul 2010 11:46 #164 by The Viking

TPP wrote: Sears Chirstmas Catalog, was all the research we need for our list I Santa....

19 Jul 2010 11:48 #165 by The Viking
More from Sears Catalog

19 Jul 2010 11:51 #166 by The Viking
Here are some fun memories from the Sears Christmas catalog.

22 Jul 2010 16:15 #167 by The Viking
Here is a great site of people writing their memories of the 50's. I think most of this lifestyle extended into the early to mid 70's.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/50s-memories.html

How did we survive 50 years ago?

We drank water from the tap not a bottle and nobody knew about the dangers of lead poisoning so even cribs were painted with brightly colored lead based paint. Medicine and Bottles with tablets did not have child proof lids

No seat belts or air bags in cars, nobody knew or if they did told our parents smoking and drinking was bad for the baby, kids shared coke from one bottle, soda had masses of sugar and we ate real white bread and butter and everything else including full fat milk that we are now told is bad for you

Parents couldn't reach us ( no mobiles ) and most of the day we would be out playing with friends and parents knew we would be safe with hardly any weirdos wandering the streets. If we got caught doing stuff we shouldn't the cops would take us home and we may well have a got a hiding for breaking the law ( but no do gooders saying mustn't smack children ). And if we played up in school the same applied.

While playing we got cuts and bruises and the occasional tear in jeans but it was just part of being a kid and no visit to the hospital.

We had no fancy games but could play for hours making a Go cart or a new tree swing and for other games most times we would find a ball and whatever we could use as a bat. or in the summer all jump into the nearest place we could find and if the water wasn't that clean we just didn't swallow it.

We rode our bikes with no helmets and doing whatever stunts we could ( bikes were so much heavier and hard waring ) and always had punctures to repair or get dad to help with.

If we didn't get in the team we were not good enough and that was that.

But most of all we were allowed to be kids

To dream, to invent and to play.

It's no wonder that the generation that grew up then created some of the most innovative and exciting technology we have today

Thanks for those years and all those "BAD THINGS" that is why we are who we are today

22 Jul 2010 18:25 #168 by Wayne Harrison
I remember back in the 50s playing with kids in the neighborhood till dinner and my mom would step out on the porch and yell my name down the street, along with the other mothers yelling their kid's names.

We only had one TV in the house and we watched what dad wanted to watch. I was the remote control. Dad would tell me what channel he wanted, after checking the TV Guide, and I'd get up and change the channel selector on the TV.

22 Jul 2010 18:45 #169 by The Viking

Wayne Harrison wrote: I remember back in the 50s playing with kids in the neighborhood till dinner and my mom would step out on the porch and yell my name down the street, along with the other mothers yelling their kid's names.

We only had one TV in the house and we watched what dad wanted to watch. I was the remote control. Dad would tell me what channel he wanted, after checking the TV Guide, and I'd get up and change the channel selector on the TV.

Here is the TV we had for a while. At least it is close to it.

http://images01.tzimg.com/image.php?FilePath=h3w4/1197428698_794211_37575232.jpg&Width=500

22 Jul 2010 18:54 - 22 Jul 2010 19:21 #170 by The Viking
This one looks like the first color TV we had...... Two knobs and ones for horizontal and vertical picture.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds