A walk down memory lane.....

08 Jul 2010 23:13 #91 by The Viking

TPP wrote:

I was cool, with this dude until I found out he DIED if ya threw him in a glass of water.

You are too funny! rofllol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jul 2010 23:16 #92 by The Viking
I had a few great visits with my grandparents when I was home on the farm this week. 91 and 89, and even though you had to work a lot harder, times sure were a lot simpler back then and family was everything. Now electronics are becoming the center of most of our worlds.

08 Jul 2010 23:19 #93 by The Viking
I know this was invented in the 60's but our family use to spend a lot of time making pictures on this. I brought back our original one.

09 Jul 2010 09:42 #94 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic A walk down memory lane.....
During WWII, my mother rented a small apartment in a big old house, owned by a Fuller Brush man and his wife. Mom said they were a really nice couple.

DH has a Hopalong Cassidy radio that still works.

Remember the little yellow 45rpm records for kids? I had several, but the one I remember the most is an episode with Sylvestor and Tweetie Pie: "I taught I taw a puddy tat!"

09 Jul 2010 16:08 #95 by kentucky jan

pacamom wrote: How come no one has mentioned the Fuller Brush Man?

All of our hairbrushes and brooms came from the Fuller Brush Man. Snacks came from the Jewel Tea Company guy.

We did have some colorful records, our Mickey Mouse Club On Parade was red.

09 Jul 2010 19:28 #96 by Wayne Harrison
[youtube:17pi6f6l]
[/youtube:17pi6f6l]

10 Jul 2010 07:33 #97 by CC
Replied by CC on topic A walk down memory lane.....
This has been the best thread. I have emailed it to friends and family all over the country and they have emailed back a huge thanks for that fun journey. Keep this stuff coming.
An old friend and I had a so-called band. He played the trash can and I played the tennis racket. We were really good!

10 Jul 2010 18:15 #98 by homeagain
major bean\n

This is what I dreaded most.
OMG, I remember that too, and it HURT (stinging hurt)......I lived in Alaska back in the 60's and "hooky bobbing" was really big in
the winter. And soaking toothpicks in Cinnamon oil (REAL STRONG) and hot. Fizzies and Sinn Sinn bits,Black Jack gum, Clove Oil gum,
AND the biggest moon pies ever. :biggrin:

10 Jul 2010 18:23 #99 by 40coupe
What an enjoyable thread! LeavittTown tract houses, with wood floors, and the 'incinerator' at the back of the property line. Bottle-rocket duels, camping out in the backyard, 'bike hikes', as we called them, during summer. Winter? No one except for County & State workers had 4WD vehicles (and maybe Surveyors). After deep snows on a weekend, the city would barricade the side streets along one particular long downhill thoroughfare for the whole neighborhood's kids to sled and saucer down. Then, after about noon Sunday, the Public Works crews would plow it all back to the ashphalt. (In retrospect, a half-century later, how cool was that? The sledding street was just another residential street, with cars parked along both sides of it, and the City & County hadn't met the dreadful 'Liability' hoopla yet. I wonder if one of the Public Works guys might have lived in the neighborhood and had kids of his own.??) One summer, a buddy and I assembled a 'hot air balloon' (Don't Even Think Of Trying This Today!!) from a dry-cleaning bag, two McDonald's straws and a 20-ct. pack of little birthday candles. Pops had just gotten home from work and came out to see what's up. Wound up holding his Zippo lighter under the bag for some extra 'boost'. Bag rose up gradually (very calm, still summer night, after dark) cleared the alley power lines and drifted off. My friend and I followed on our bikes. The bag traveled about a mile, finally collapsing and coming down in an industrial area. Ice cream trucks, with tinny speakers playing 'The Moon Shines Bright On Little Red Wing', roving the neighborhood. Funny how Mom always seemed to have a couple of nickels and dimes ready for just such an emergency! :Koolaid:

10 Jul 2010 20:01 #100 by Hoot Owl

40coupe wrote: Ice cream trucks, with tinny speakers playing 'The Moon Shines Bright On Little Red Wing', roving the neighborhood. Funny how Mom always seemed to have a couple of nickels and dimes ready for just such an emergency! :Koolaid:

That is why Moms always had pockets in their apron or house dress.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds