A walk down memory lane.....

27 Jun 2010 19:45 #41 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic A walk down memory lane.....
You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2010 19:47 #42 by The Viking

CinnamonGirl wrote: I lived outside of Craig in the 70's. My brother and I played all day all over the place. There is nothing like being a kid in the mountains. My fondest memories were of catching frogs all day at the pond and fishing. My kids remember the camping trips they had as kids. We camped about 2 months a year and that is what kept them grounded. Video games have changed that. Technology can be good and bad.

In my opinion technology brought the world together but tore the family apart.

27 Jun 2010 19:49 #43 by CC
Replied by CC on topic A walk down memory lane.....
I remember gathering all of the neighbors Christmas trees after Christmas and piling them all up in a vacant pasture near our house making these great big fortresses. All the kids in the neighborhood had a cool xmas tree fort.
Wayne....I thought I was reading something from my own past up above about staying out after dark, fireflies and laying in the gutters when it rained.
The streets flooded easily in Houston.

27 Jun 2010 19:51 #44 by Wayne Harrison
We had BB gun fights and sligshot fights and nobody ever lost an eye. We also had speargrass fights but that probably doesn't count.

Can you imagine mothers letting their kids do that today?

27 Jun 2010 19:56 - 27 Jun 2010 20:02 #45 by major bean
Hoot Owl, I do believe that I am.

Everyone avoided credit in the '50's. It was a bad thing.

In the 50's the veterans of the World Wars could be seen on Main Street, at the bank corner. Some were WWI vets, some WWII. My parents knew all of their names. I remember one vet who had no legs, but sat on a short board cart selling pencils to passerbys for an income. Some were shellshocked and one man went around with a transistor radio always held against his ear. He alway had to biggest moronic teeth-showing smile on his face. Some sat and whittled all day on a piece of wood. Every small town had their war veterans in this condition.

If you lived in the country, you lived on a dirt road. The very old men still road horses whenever they went visiting.

Momma get RealKill....you too, Dad.

Quite a few women did laundry using wringer washers (using blue-ing on the whites) and hung out the clothes on the clothes line. All shirts, pants, dresses, blouses had to be ironed.

Cars were washed by hand and waxed by hand. There were no factory supplied seatbelts in cars. And it was an Americans duty to defy being told what to do so they did not ever use seat belts. Tires squealed whenever you went around a corner. All cars had hood ornaments and quite a few had fender skirts. And BIG FINS. I have always driven vehicles. I cannot remember when I learned. At age 10 I would drive an old 47 Plymouth coupe 12 miles to go fishing.

You only wore a baseball cap while playing baseball. (And the bill was in the front.)

Back when men were men, and the women.......well, they were men, too.

Regards,
Major Bean

27 Jun 2010 20:01 #46 by Wayne Harrison
Way before there was Tyson...

There was Swift's Premium Chicken..

Chicken and pickles. What more could a guy ask for from a girl back then?
You can tell they were going steady because they have the same pattern
on their shirts that she probably sewed herself.

27 Jun 2010 20:04 - 28 Jun 2010 09:09 #47 by pinedust

Wayne Harrison wrote: We had BB gun fights and sligshot fights and nobody ever lost an eye. We also had speargrass fights but that probably doesn't count.

We had bottle rocket wars, it is a wonder we still all have our eyes.

27 Jun 2010 20:07 #48 by Wayne Harrison
We used to lay bottle rockets down and launch them off the the beach into the lake and they'd blow up under water. I still don't understand how it worked. My guess is the rocket exhaust kept the water from coming in where it was burning.

27 Jun 2010 20:08 #49 by major bean

Wayne Harrison wrote: We had BB gun fights and sligshot fights and nobody ever lost an eye. We also had speargrass fights but that probably doesn't count.

We had cow chip fights. (Most of them were not too dry.) Milked the cows before catching the school bus. If my parents went on vacation, we would ride the steers in the morning to practice up for the rodeo.

The circus came around each fall, most usually in conjunction with the County Fair. Ah, the County Fair. That was a major event each year. 4-H clubs would compete, Moms would bring their canning. But the Carnival and the Circus was THE event. I saw my first live female stripper at the Carnival. I will never forget the reality!

Regards,
Major Bean

27 Jun 2010 20:16 #50 by Hoot Owl

major bean wrote: Hoot Owl, I do believe that I am.

Everyone avoided credit in the '50's. It was a bad thing

I remember Dad burning the note on the house when it was paid off. Big ceremony at the dining room table :VeryScared:

Quite a few women did laundry using wringer washers (using blue-ing on the whites) and hung out the clothes on the clothes line. All shirts, pants, dresses, blouses had to be ironed.

My Grandmother had a wringer washer, I always tried to stick my fingers through it

Cars were washed by hand and waxed by hand. There were no factory supplied seatbelts in cars.

Cars were washed and waxed by ME, Dad installed the seatbelts

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds