A walk down memory lane.....

27 Jun 2010 12:10 #11 by Local_Historian
Green stamps - was my job to put them in the book.
Hell, stamps to get dishes - my first set of dishes as an adult came that way, when Safeway was doing that in the early 80s.

I lived in the country - both as a kid and later ss an adult, so some things were around longer for us -

The milk man who brought eggs (from the egg farm literally down the street), milk, cream, butter and ICE CREAM!
The bread man
One rotary phone in the house.
A kitchen large enough to do everything and still have a table and chairs in the middle of the room
Canning - everything that could be canned. And that is one thing I miss about Iowa - I have YET to find anyone around here who will sell me tomatoes and corn by the BUSHEL so I can bleepin bleepin can them!
The country store that was five miles away and I could ride to it on my bike, spend my own allowance.
Being totally incensed when candy bars when from 10 cents to a quarter! WTH! AND they were bigger than what we have now!
Going to the cider mill for fresh cider - we had that in Iowa too - are there any here in Colorado? I'll drive to it happily.
First barcodes on things.
Rotary phone, in the kitchen, and you didn't use it much as a kid, becuase there was no need.
No play dates - you knew what after school chores you had to do, your friends, hade to do, so you got done, got on your bike and went to their house and knocked on the door!
Herds of children were common - in and out of the house, cause most moms were home. (this was how it was when my kids were little too.)
Party lines - still had one in Gunniosn in 1991.

I'm sure there's more, but I got distracted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2010 12:21 #12 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic A walk down memory lane.....
Question to all. Would we trade?
I cherish my childhood memories and miss a lot but I still prefer the here and now.
I know "off topic"

27 Jun 2010 12:23 #13 by Sunshine Girl

JMC wrote: Question to all. Would we trade?
I cherish my childhood memories and miss a lot but I still prefer the here and now.
I know "off topic"

No. I agree with you JMC - I like the here and now too. :sunshine:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

27 Jun 2010 12:28 #14 by Wayne Harrison

Local_Historian wrote: One rotary phone in the house.

I saw a comedian recently who was talking about that and how we HATED someone with a lot of 9's in their phone number because you had to move the rotary dial ALL THE WAY AROUND and wait for it to click back 9 times.. If they had a bunch of nines, it slowed down the dialing.

27 Jun 2010 12:29 #15 by Local_Historian

JMC wrote: Question to all. Would we trade?
I know "off topic"

Some days, yes.

27 Jun 2010 12:44 #16 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic A walk down memory lane.....

Wayne Harrison wrote:

I saw a comedian recently who was talking about that and how we HATED someone with a lot of 9's in their phone number because you had to move the rotary dial ALL THE WAY AROUND and wait for it to click back 9 times.. If they had a bunch of nines, it slowed down the dialing.

Oh, now we know why JMC hates 8's in phone numbers. He must have rotary phones.

27 Jun 2010 12:49 #17 by Sunshine Girl

Wayne Harrison wrote:

Boy does THAT bring back memories. I hated rotary phones.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

27 Jun 2010 14:45 #18 by The Viking
And see if some of these don't bring back a flood of memories!

[youtube:2opnlfzj]
[/youtube:2opnlfzj]

27 Jun 2010 14:49 #19 by Local_Historian
I love rotary phones. there was a still working one in the basement of a house we rented in 1998. It was fun teaching the kids how it worked.

27 Jun 2010 14:54 #20 by The Viking
And this is very interesting as to how many toys back then came about and how they were tested.

[youtube:2ajbjvyj]
[/youtube:2ajbjvyj]

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds