GM: Expect self-driving vehicles by 2020

18 Oct 2011 20:34 #1 by CinnamonGirl
GM: Expect self-driving vehicles by 2020 was created by CinnamonGirl

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20 ... gle+Reader

GPS, sensors, cameras, and wireless technology are available in many cars currently on the market, and are used in lane-departure, crash-avoidance, and navigation systems to make vehicles safer and more convenient for consumers to drive. But they're also the building blocks of autonomous platforms, and when used in concert with car-to-infrastructure communication, they open the door to vehicles that can operate on autopilot--a technology leap that isn't that far off from becoming a reality.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20 ... z1bBuoZgO2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Oct 2011 20:39 #2 by otisptoadwater
I would love to go out for dinner with my buddies and have a night on the town afterward without having to worry about getting home but I can't help wonder if this is just one more "it could happen" moment in the history of the automotive industry. Consider this http://www.paleofuture.com/blog/tag/flying-cars

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

19 Oct 2011 21:02 #3 by Surveyor
There is a flying car. Nobody can afford it, but what the heck?

I would hate a self driving car. Cruise control is as close as I ever want to get. One blown fuse could really end your day in a self driver.

BTW, this concept has been tested for years and years. I stayed at a B & B many years ago--maybe ten or more--and two of the other guests were testing a self-driving car, had stopped along the way at the B & B. They had a trunk full of computer, sensor, whatever, that made the car drive itself. Never heard anymore about it, though.

I think that they need to re-think using GPS too since the broadband folk are going to trample the signals and make it useless if they succeed with their current battle.

19 Oct 2011 21:37 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic GM: Expect self-driving vehicles by 2020
I wish everyone would just slow down. I like to take my time.

20 Oct 2011 09:22 #5 by jf1acai

One blown fuse could really end your day in a self driver.

Would give a whole new meaning to 'Fatal Error' and 'blue screen of death'.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

20 Oct 2011 10:24 #6 by FredHayek
We have a Tom-Tom and lose GPS all the time when we drive in downtown Denver, you have to think the same problem will happen here.

But since I see so many distracted drivers these days, maybe it is better than nothing.

Interesting idea about avoiding drunk driving charges, reminds me of the cowboys who would let their horses choose the way home after a long night out.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds