Dumping my IPhone for Android

23 May 2010 00:13 #1 by conifermtman
It is not so much that I don't like the IPhone, but AT&T has horrible service. If I am in my office downtown it often takes 3 tries to make an outbound call. The number of dropped calls is also pretty bad. I often do not get my voicemail in a timely manner either. I used to have Sprint before AT&T and that worked great downtown and in Conifer.

The Denver area is supposed to get 4G coverage in October or November. 4G will have 3 to 6MB download speeds. Now if they extend that up the 285 corridor, it would also mean I could also dump Qwest for my DSL connection which is only 1.5 MB/sec. With tethering enabled on Android phones you can use the phone as a wifi hotspot.

Android is also open when compared to the IPhone OS. You can install apps from many sources and are not limited to ITunes and the whims of Steve Jobs. Flash also works on these phones running Android 2.1. Version 2.2 of Android which was just released supports the latest Adobe flash player and its applications run 2 to 5 five times as fast. Steve Jobs will not allow Flash on the IPhone.

Check out the Sprint EVO, probably the best smart phone ever made.
http://now.sprint.com/evo/?ECID=vanity:evo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 May 2010 00:24 #2 by conifermtman

23 May 2010 07:06 #3 by MyMountainTown
Thanks for the link. Interesting. My son just got a Droid

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

23 May 2010 07:24 #4 by LopingAlong
Since I have neither yet, I've been watching and learning as much as I can so I can decide which would be best for me. Can you tell me if the thing works as phone well going from say PJ to town? Do you have dead spots? With AT&T, I never or seldom lose a call from here to there, but with Verizon-friends, it seems they have a place near Windy Pt that is dead and another through the canyon. I'm anxious to hear what you think. Ya know, right now, you buy a Droid, you get one free! (I"m just afraid it won't work where I most need it which is Hwy 73 into Evergreen and 285 from Bailey to town) Thanks so much for letting me know!

23 May 2010 08:39 #5 by pinedust
I love my moto droid! It doesn't do flash... yet... I am looking forward to the upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2.

The biggest advantage with the Android platform over iPhone is multi tasking. I can listen to pandora while surfing the web, sending and receiving emails, or working on our company's server with a ssh session. When driving I listen to music while using the GPS.

I write apps for the Android so I may be biased.

This post was written with my droid. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

23 May 2010 08:39 #6 by Wayne Harrison
I have an iPhone and I rarely have a problem making a call up here or in town. Our service at home in Pine Junction is so solid we finally dumped our landline. All three of us have iPhones.

23 May 2010 09:23 #7 by conifermtman
AT&T service is fine from my house, but I do lose service in spots between Conifer Mt and Kings Valley. I have also lost connectivity on occasion at Windy Point. Downtown around the federal court houses it seems to be the worst, especially in the afternoons. I have to dial out multiple times to make a call. Surfing the web in the afternoons in that area is painfully slow as well. I have about 10 people in my office that have IPhones and they all experience the same issues.

23 May 2010 17:24 #8 by ScienceChic
CMM-have you heard anything on the rumors that Apple is going to release the 4G version of the iPhone this summer and that Verizon will be allowed to carry them? I've had At&T since I started carrying a cell phone back in '99, but dislike my crappy reception and dropped calls too. Hubby has a work phone through Verizon and I was wondering if they had better reception down here in the city and I wouldn't have to buy as many minutes if we're on the same plan. When we were up in Kings Valley, I could make calls with my phone while he would lose signal strength as soon as he started to dial so switching didn't make sense back then...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 May 2010 17:45 #9 by CastleintheClouds
You'll love your Droid. I do. First thing i did was rooted (unlocked) it and the capabilities are almost endless. MUCH better than Windows mobile, and still better than Apple. Keep in mind when tethering, your up/down is pretty slow, about 50% of the phone normally does. I havent found an app yet that gets around that.

Verizons service is getting MUCH better, and the only dead spot (i've found) on the 285 corridor is Kenosha Pass to Red Hill Pass. It sems that one tower could cover the whole Jefferson valley

23 May 2010 18:27 #10 by LopingAlong
Oh, that's good news! No dead zones from here (Pine Junction/Bailey) to town? Great! Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds