Nissan Leaf test drive- electric

08 Jul 2010 20:13 #1 by LOL

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jul 2010 23:34 #2 by ScienceChic
Sounds cool! I'm still gonna wait for my Tesla though... :) (and keep buying carbon offsets in the meantime)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Jul 2010 06:18 #3 by LOL
Next time you are in Boulder, Tesla has a dealer on the west end of Pearl St mall, three cars or so in the small showroom. Pretty cool sports car.

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

09 Jul 2010 12:15 #4 by ScienceChic

Joe wrote: Next time you are in Boulder, Tesla has a dealer on the west end of Pearl St mall, three cars or so in the small showroom. Pretty cool sports car.

I know - I'm afraid if I get in the Roadster I won't be able to get back out again! And I can't afford that ($110K starting price)! :biggrin: The Model S comes out in 2012 and if I'm lucky there will be legislation passed before then that offers big incentives on electric vehicles!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Jul 2010 13:46 #5 by pineinthegrass
The Leaf is pretty pricey at over $30K for a compact car. I haven't seen a final price yet for the Chevy Volt, but it may not be a whole lot more. And it has the advantage of having the range extending gas engine which you shouldn't need much for a city commute but it sure would be handy for longer drives.

Anyone have a link to any good reviews of the Tesla?

09 Jul 2010 15:24 #6 by ScienceChic
Tesla reviews
http://reviews.cnet.com/convertible/201 ... 57809.html
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... _Roadster/

The Tesla Roadster provides 100 percent of its available torque all of the time, from 0 to 14,000 rpm, allowing it to accelerate from standstill to 60 mph at break-neck speed. What's more, it can travel up to 220 miles without a recharge, maxes out at 125 mph, and doesn't require a single drop of gas.

Still, the Roadster isn't perfect. Like the Lotus Elise, with which it shares some components, the Roadster's interior cabin lacks comfort, luxury, convenience and cargo room.

if you live in Colorado, you may be eligible for a $42,083 rebate (no, that's not a typo) if you buy a new Tesla before December 31.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_tesla_sport
This sentence made me laugh out loud so I had to copy it:

The car features a holy-s#!t-that's-FAST "performance" mode you can select on the fly (and we did, several times). But unless you've got a really long extension cord, it is best reserved for occasional use. Like, say, dusting that Porsche 911 ahead of you.

WIRED Stunning acceleration. Confidence-inspiring handling. Stunning acceleration. Zero tailpipe emissions. Stunning acceleration. Gorgeous styling. Stunning acceleration.

TIRED Eccentric-millionaire expensive. No power mirrors — isn't this an electric car? Steering wheel blocks your view of the gauges. Center console and instrument binnacle felt flimsy. Getting in and out requires more grace than we could muster.

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/roadster/2010/review.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car ... _road_test

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/23/2010 ... rt-review/

10 Jul 2010 08:45 #7 by LOL
I like the idea of pure electric the best. Lithium batteries are getting pretty good except for the cost. The Volt still has a gas engine which adds to cost/maintenance. I think a 50-100 mile all electric range would be fine for a city commuter.

As for the Tesla, it would be fun to drive. Electric motors have neat torque characteristics compared to IC engines. They have the motor/gearbox on a stand at the showroom in Boulder, pretty compact unit. I don't know if they are allowing test drives though. :)

10 Jul 2010 09:02 #8 by major bean
Are these vehicles front-end drive or rear-end drive? That is very important consideration for mountain driving. And if they cannot handle the stress of climbing mountains, then that is a "no starter".

Regards,
Major Bean

10 Jul 2010 11:41 #9 by ScienceChic
The Roadster is rear-wheel drive, which won't be a problem for mountain driving (unless you have rough dirt roads, for which this car isn't designed either way), and I don't think you'd want to be driving it in the snow as well. The standard version of the Model S (what will be offered first) is rear-wheel drive, but they will offer an all-wheel drive option down the road (no ETA).

10 Jul 2010 14:48 #10 by LOL

major bean wrote: Are these vehicles front-end drive or rear-end drive? That is very important consideration for mountain driving. And if they cannot handle the stress of climbing mountains, then that is a "no starter".

I really don't think the batteries will be great for cold weather or lots of uphill driving. It looks like alot of dealers are being set up in warm climates like Cali and Arizona.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds