Raising chickens

14 Mar 2012 16:15 #11 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Raising chickens
What great timing! Pine Country Feed Store is having a class on raising chickens, and Amy Murdock from Aspen Creek vet is one of the speakers. Check here for more info, or to RSVP for the class - it's Saturday the 24th at 10:30am. :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2012 16:39 #12 by MsMAM
Replied by MsMAM on topic Raising chickens
Thanks!

14 Mar 2012 17:12 #13 by mountaindollar
Replied by mountaindollar on topic Raising chickens
I would put a timer on the light but only use it if the nights seem to be getting real cold.

I only know what my Uncle who was a farmer in Limon told me which is to make sure you have places for all your hens to roost in the evening and make sure during the winter you give them extra fluff to lay in.

If the chickens peck their eggs they probably don't have enough calcium or they are unhappy and want to exercise.

Unless you want chicks the only rooster that is a good rooster is a dead rooster.

You have plenty of dogs hopefully one will take a liking to them while they are little if one of the dogs has no issues with the chicks let them spend time with them. Chances are they will get attached to the dog and follow him/her around.

If you have a dirt floor in your coop remember fox, coyote and bears will dig under to get in.

Have not had chickens in awhile one day when my life is less complicated we will have them again.

15 Mar 2012 09:33 #14 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic Raising chickens

Unless you want chicks the only rooster that is a good rooster is a dead rooster.
If the chickens peck their eggs they probably don't have enough calcium or they are unhappy and want to exercise.

I gotta stick up for the Rooster here- yes they are helpful if you want chicks- but roosters do alot more than just breed with the hens.

If you have spent much time raising chickens- or other birds- you may have observed that the male play's an important role. If you eliminated the rooster- this may explain why you had problems and the hens were unhappy. The hens can get depressed- peck on each other and other problems can develop.

I've watched how the rooster interacts with the hens- if I throw a bunch of greens out for the chickens- the rooster will scratch the greens and make sure that all the hens get some to eat. The rooster will wait to eat until after all the hens get some.

The rooster will play a protective roll- he will be on alert if there is a threat- you're dog may get along fine with the birds- you're neighbor's dog- that's a different story!

Overall you're chicken coop will be a happier- more well adjusted flock if you include a rooster. But that's just my opinion and my experience.

Having a place to each hen to roost is important- but they may form roosting buddies and you will notice some will huddle together at night- others will roost alone- and a few may just refuse to roost where you think they should. As long as they don't peck on each other constantly- let um roost where they want.

15 Mar 2012 14:29 #15 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Raising chickens
Anybody sell fresh eggs?

15 Mar 2012 21:52 #16 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Raising chickens
Anchorage Farm on Parker Rd sells them. I got some once at Bailey Depot Feed Store, but that was a while ago. Looks like MsMam will have some soon.

17 Mar 2012 14:19 #17 by farmgirl_redhead
Replied by farmgirl_redhead on topic Raising chickens
First.. I'd check with your HOA to see if chickens are allowed.. 2nd, how big is your fenced area for them? If it's too small then they will start pecking each other and then you will never get them to stop.. I wouldn't use a "light bulb".. use a heating lamp.. red is best to keep them calm.. also you can get a temp timer that you plug into your socket and then plug your heating lamp into and it goes on when it reaches 25 and goes off when it reaches 45.. it's a great thing to have.. the trouble with timers is that they will go on even when you don't need it on.. Since this is your first time with chickens.. I'd start with 4.. see how you like it and then you can always get more the next year.. they are fun to own and I have 24 hens and a rooster, but I live in Bailey so Francois crowing isn't an issue.. If you decide to get more, you need to have a nest for every 2-3 hens.. Good luck!

20 Mar 2012 18:36 #18 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Raising chickens
Been there, done that. Those will be the most expensive chickens you'll ever eat, and if the coup is not in the sun, a light bulb won't cut it. Butcher them all in October-
I remember the first time I butchered a chicken..Halfway through pulling feathers and when it started looking like a store bought bird my lil daughter said "Hey dad! There's a chicken in there!"

She was 2 or 3 and didn't know that store bought chickens were at one time living chickens..

20 Mar 2012 18:40 #19 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Raising chickens

farmgirl_redhead wrote: First.. I'd check with your HOA to see if chickens are allowed..

I was allowed 2 per acre in Upper Burland..We only needed a dozen or so though. Couldn't eat a dozen eggs a day even with 7 people in the house..

21 Mar 2012 07:27 #20 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Raising chickens

Vice Lord wrote: Been there, done that. Those will be the most expensive chickens you'll ever eat, and if the coup is not in the sun, a light bulb won't cut it. Butcher them all in October-
I remember the first time I butchered a chicken..Halfway through pulling feathers and when it started looking like a store bought bird my lil daughter said "Hey dad! There's a chicken in there!"

She was 2 or 3 and didn't know that store bought chickens were at one time living chickens..

Of course, ya have, you've done everything (at least once). Think I'll start call'in ya "Nick Cap." (you'll not understand), but others will...

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds