Raising chickens

14 Mar 2012 13:25 #1 by MsMAM
Raising chickens was created by MsMAM
I want to start raising chickens. I've read up on caring for them, but I don't know how many I can house in my coups. And how to keep them warm in the winter? I know a lightbulb would work. Is that acceptable?

Any info is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2012 13:42 #2 by mountaindollar
Replied by mountaindollar on topic Raising chickens
How big is your coup?

If you do not keep them warm during the winter they will quit laying.

Will you close them in totally?

14 Mar 2012 13:44 #3 by mountaindollar

14 Mar 2012 13:51 #4 by MsMAM
Replied by MsMAM on topic Raising chickens
One is a 4X4 with a couple of nesting spots. The other is a 10X10 tuff shed. 9 stations. Is a light bulb ok or is that too much light?

The coups are fully enclosed. Top and sides.

14 Mar 2012 13:52 #5 by MsMAM
PS. That is one of the sites I have been reading. Thx!

14 Mar 2012 14:08 #6 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic Raising chickens
If you have a Rooster- he may crow at night with the light bulb on- mine did. It also may disrupt the roosting habits of the hens. We did not leave the light on every night- but forgot to turn it off a few times.

The lady about 200 yards away complained about the rooster and we got a ticket - which we went to trial for in court, and won. All that trouble over a light bulb.

So much for living in the city - even though we were zoned for horses and chickens.

I'm glad I moved back to the hills.

Anyway the light bulb could be a bad idea. I think it would be better with good insulation and a little heater in or under the floor.

Just my 2 cents.

14 Mar 2012 14:54 #7 by MsMAM
Any thoughts on how many chickens I can have? I'd rather not have roosters, but am betting that will be hard to predict from what I read.

I'm in highland pines, so I'm hoping it will be ok.

14 Mar 2012 15:06 #8 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic Raising chickens
In a 4X4 coop- I would do about 8 to 10 chickens max. I assume you will have more space for them to get out during the day. There will be a pecking order- but there should be enough space for everybody - try to divide the roosting area with walls or dividers so they don't fight all the time.

Also- if it were me I would have at least one rooster. He will protect the hens- my rooster actually fought a coon and stood up against the attack keeping the coon away from the hens- he lost one eye and limped around after that- which is why we were willing to go to court to keep him. That rooster was going to die of old age- not be gotten rid of by a court.

The rooster will only crow when the sun comes up - unless you make a dumb move like me and leave a light on at night!

14 Mar 2012 15:21 #9 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Raising chickens
It appears that those $3.00 chicks from Big R, are a hit!
WE got 10, lost 2 because "somebody" didn't read that you should start them out at about 95, and slowly turn down the heat.
Now the other 8 are growing fast. We plan on using a dog house (HUGE), that we'll put in the wood shed, with a chicken door to a cubed pen so the foxes, & racoons don't get free food, the wood shed has eletricity, and well be using snake cage lights. The dog house roof will be on hidges, for easy collecting.
BTW, if ya don't know keep the poop from backing up on the feathers around butt hole, we have had that problem with 3 of them. We read that they will get really sick and quickly. Also your feed needs to be FOR layers, NOT friers (no not the monks).

14 Mar 2012 15:37 #10 by MsMAM
I was thinking. Chick day at the feed store

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds