The Joy of Sox

15 Jul 2010 14:36 #1 by KnitKnook
The Joy of Sox was created by KnitKnook
Since our last entry was a free sock pattern, I thought you’d enjoy hearing from a recent convert to sock knitting. This is from our guest writer this week, Sally Ball:

While I’ve been knitting for several years, I had absolutely no desire to knit socks. Ever. Picture tiny little double pointed needles that look like you’re knitting with a porcupine. Anytime I had tried them in the past I was all thumbs. (Although I still have a mitten – yes, just one – that I attempted a couple of years ago on DPN’s and ironically enough, it still has no thumb.) Plus that downside of getting all excited when you complete one and realize you have to make another. That matches. Nope, not for me.

Then recently I was commissioned to make a couple of Christmas Stockings which brought to my attention the fact I’d better learn to make a sock. So, off to the Knit Knook for a visit and some guidance from Diane (who can teach anybody anything). It just goes to show that there must be a season for everything because now I am freakin’ hooked. Like an addict, I’m mainlining sock yarn like there’s no tomorrow.

Why such a turnaround? Well, first, let me tell you that nothing makes you feel more of a smarty pants than a well turned heel of a sock. Seriously, I have made total strangers at parties admire my socks – even one still on the needles. And they are boggled – especially if they’ve had a bit of decent wine. Awesome party trick – whip out a sock in progress.

Secondly, they’re such portable little suckers! You can shove a skein of sock yarn and needles in a pocket. (Beware of poorly planned sitting occurrences, though.) I was walking our mile of road last weekend kicking big rocks out of the way (another story entirely) and knitted a good chunk of sock at the same time! I felt like quite the multi-tasker. I’d like to go find a line to stand in just so I can work on a sock.

Thirdly, for your basic sock you don’t need a pattern (although there are millions of gorgeous ones available) and you just can’t get bored. Knitting from the top down, just when I hit my limit of how-much-ribbing-can-a-person-do when Lo! and Behold! It was time to start the heel. About the time the smugness of knitting the heel wears off it’s time to start the foot. Knit along happily a bit, decrease at the toes and voila, you’re done! And, I find I get so pleased with what I’ve done there that I actually jump into the second sock right away. Go figure. Brilliant, I tell you, brilliant.

Did I mention they’re cheap? Even really, really, really nice sock yarn is a pittance compared to a sizeable scarf or sweater. Less than twenty bucks and I’m provided with hours of entertainment.

I could go on (and on) about the yumminess of all the available sock yarn now (don’t even get me started on self-striping), or how beautiful is a set of rosewood needles, but I’ll stop there. And to all of the sock knitters out there who laughed and rolled their eyes when I said socks weren’t for me (and you know who you are), you’ve earned your “I told you so.” I’m converted. Gloat away.

This week's Secret Word: Lantern Moon
Come in to the shop between 7/15/10 and 7/21/10, say Lantern Moon and get 10% off your yarn purchase

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Diane Edwards is the owner of The Knit Knook, a yarn and coffee shop located in the King Sooper’s shopping center in Aspen Park. She taught herself to knit at the age of 10, to crochet at the age of 15, and her love of fiber arts has continued to grow. She loves teaching new people how to knit and teaching experienced knitters new techniques.

The Knit Knook opened in 2007 and carries a large and varied selection of yarns and supplies. Classes are available for all levels and interests. Summer hours are Tuesdays & Thursdays 10am – 8pm, Wednesdays & Fridays 10am – 5pm, Saturdays 10am – 4pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays. Call Diane with any questions at 303.838.2118 or stop by for a cappuccino and a visit.

Knit Knook LLC, 10903 US Hwy 285, Suite E202, Conifer, CO 80433
303-838-2118
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.knitknook.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jul 2010 15:16 #2 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Replied by Wily Fox aka Angela on topic The Joy of Sox
that's our Sal... a giver.... but I must say, the last time I was in Knit Knook with her; I pulled on the sock she had finished and it fit nicely, but it was only one sock. . . let's see a picture with BOTH SOCKS in it, then we'll know for sure rofllol

seriously, that green is very delicate and soft looking and ANOTHER nice picture!

and I must say that if Diane can get Sally, Erin, and Jan to sit their butts down and listen and follow direction, she can do anything...
:yeahthat:

15 Jul 2010 15:28 #3 by Cat Crap Hill
Replied by Cat Crap Hill on topic The Joy of Sox
Diane is the Deity I pray to each morning. Sally is the devil who gets me into all kinds of shenanigans.

15 Jul 2010 16:24 #4 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic The Joy of Sox
Ok, Mz Weasel Smarty Pants:

I'm almost to the toes of sock #2 but don't have a picture. This was the last photo. (And I would have been done by now with that pair but I got distracted by that pretty little green lacy one above!) Your orange socks are next (did you know that yarn has aloe in it? how cool is that!)

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

15 Jul 2010 18:34 #5 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic The Joy of Sox
Dang!

You've almost sold me on trying to learn how to knit sox! They look so comfortable!

Maybe I could knit while I sit in traffic on I70 :)

Or during the Conifer Christmas Parade..... :lol:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

15 Jul 2010 18:50 #6 by Kas
Replied by Kas on topic The Joy of Sox

RivendaleFarms wrote: Ok, Mz Weasel Smarty Pants:

I'm almost to the toes of sock #2 but don't have a picture. This was the last photo. (And I would have been done by now with that pair but I got distracted by that pretty little green lacy one above!) Your orange socks are next (did you know that yarn has aloe in it? how cool is that!)

(Ahem)....I don't see a heel....

17 Jul 2010 09:27 #7 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Replied by Wily Fox aka Angela on topic The Joy of Sox
you can knit anywhere, looks like

you just have to . . .

wait for it . . .

Think outside the sox!

17 Jul 2010 15:58 #8 by FernForestFarm
Replied by FernForestFarm on topic The Joy of Sox
Well, she DID IT! I was there and witnessed the finishing of the second sock, Wily :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo:
I was so impressed that our Miss Sal and CatCrapHill are knitting socks for the first time, that I was sucked in. Yep. I'm the proud new owner of sock yarn and some tiny needles that look like toothpicks. "How hard can it be?" to quote that fearless DPN waver!

Really, Wily, you should join us! There is nothing more decadent than donning a pair of hand-knit lovies for your tootisies lol

And jf, don't hesitate! Seize the day and come knit with us on Saturday mornings @ the Knit Knook. We laugh A LOT and make tons of friends and of course make gorgeous things from string and pointy sticks :wink:

PS: pics were snapped as Ms. Happy Feet danced around the Knit Knook in her newly finished, beautifully constructed, decadently fun socks. I'm sure she'll post them any second now :)

17 Jul 2010 18:31 #9 by Kas
Replied by Kas on topic The Joy of Sox
She was still doing the Happy Sox dance at 3:30. :woo hoo:
Can't believe they suckered you into trying to knit with toothpicks! I'm holding out. Not gonna try it. No way. I'm dangerous with dpns.

17 Jul 2010 18:50 #10 by Cat Crap Hill
Replied by Cat Crap Hill on topic The Joy of Sox
I left too soon! And really, that THE LAST AIRBENDER has some serious continuity problems. And a lazy director. I should have stayed for the Ballet Du Sox!

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds