Snagging from old hard drive

17 Jul 2010 20:27 #1 by major bean
I need to snag some files from a hard drive that was in my old computer. Should I get an external hard drive enclosure or an external hard drive dock? Both seem to be about the same price.

Regards,
Major Bean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jul 2010 20:39 #2 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

17 Jul 2010 21:50 #3 by daisypusher
Add the drive to your current computer.

18 Jul 2010 06:51 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Pierre, over at Computer Hounds, can also pull files and information off old crashed hard drives, even if they don't run.

18 Jul 2010 17:09 #5 by major bean

daisypusher wrote: Add the drive to your current computer.

My old drive is configured 32 bit and my new computer is 64 bit. It may pose a problem, I do not know.

Regards,
Major Bean

18 Jul 2010 19:06 #6 by daisypusher
The worst case scenario is that the drive will not be recognized, but that is unlikely. And would not the same problem exist whether a drive is external or internal.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/thread/8de744a6-df6e-4bd1-8dbb-0877d9c44ad3

Do more Internet searches as necessary to get the answer for your situation.

18 Jul 2010 21:10 #7 by major bean
OK I am going to get a drive dock and see what happens. I have downloaded some forensic software and it should help me quite a bit. Internet searches and all of your advice has helped quite a bit. Thanks.

Regards,
Major Bean

05 Aug 2010 10:29 #8 by lnactive Member
The drive itself is not formatted 32bit vs. 64 bit. Likely the drive is formatted as NTFS on both computers. 32 & 64 bit is for how the OS and applications interface / operate. Doesn't impact data.

As long as you are moving documents you shouldn't have a problem. If you are trying to move an application from one windows computer to another you are basically out of luck and will need to reinstall the application.

03 Oct 2010 12:38 #9 by major bean
This is how I resolved my hard drive problem:
I purchased a hard drive dock and, to my dismay, it accepted only SATA hard drives. This was plainly stated whenever I purchased but I was not at a website that would plainly state my level of ignorance. My daughter has been given this $59 hard drive dock as a gift and she is tickled with it. It will read 2 SATA hard drives simultaneously.
My next purchase was a StarTech SATA/IDE hard drive dock and it works as advertised. I migrated all of my files from my old drive to my new machine.
So, once again, science and technology has been conquered by throwing money at it.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds