I can't believe some people

02 Jul 2012 17:58 #1 by mountaindollar
Talked to a customer today that told me she lived by O’Fallon Park in Evergreen. She said on Saturday she started smelling smoke so she drove over to the park just to see what might be going on.

She told me at the entrance it is clearly marked “No Fires” and all the BBQ grates have trash bags over them.

She found the source of the smoke a family up for a picnic burning both wood and charcoal in the grate and using the trash bag for their trash.
We she told them that they could not have the fire they appeared to not understand English and she said repeated times I am going to call 911. It was not until she was talking to the 911 operator that they started understanding and began putting out the fire.

She stayed until the Sheriff got there.

Really do they not think that is was strange that trash bag was over the grate.

I feel like beating my head against a wall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jul 2012 18:18 #2 by MamaRama
The Papa was coming home from work one night last week and noticed a vehicle on the side of the road (285 no less) they had pulled their BBQ off of their truck, sat up chairs and were fixing their meal!!!! Now HOW STUPID can people be?? what part of NO OPEN BURNING do they not get??

02 Jul 2012 18:42 #3 by Martin Ent Inc
They are out there.

02 Jul 2012 18:50 #4 by otisptoadwater
While I'm sure to get some comments about being a racist, maybe it's time to post signs in English and Spanish. The reality of the fire danger this year is too high to risk allowing people to have open fires and then claim they didn't understand what a sign meant because they don't speak the language.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

02 Jul 2012 19:13 #5 by Martin Ent Inc
E Z.
Picture of a fire, picture of a sherriff with gun, picture of dead dude on ground with sherriff putting out fire.

02 Jul 2012 19:25 #6 by otisptoadwater
:yeahthat:

No one would need to know how to read, just look at the pictures. I'd like to see a picture somewhere in the middle of the sequence where the Sheriff clubs the bad guys over the head with a flaming log.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

02 Jul 2012 20:20 #7 by MamaRama

02 Jul 2012 20:53 #8 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic I can't believe some people
AFAIK, only one of the recent significant Colorado wildfires has been determined to have been caused by a camper.

While I agree that uninformed (or whatever term you prefer) campers have started many illegal campfires, and have left many of those unattended, causing unnecessary expenditure of firefighting resources as well as concern to residents, I do not believe that the 'dumb flatlanders' should be the primary concern.

Many of the illegal and/or unattended campfires have been started by local homeowners.

Many of the fire ban violations have been local homeowners who were not aware of, or did not understand, the fire restrictions in place at the time.

For those fires not caused by lightning, excluding arson, I think that better education of all is the solution, starting with better dissemination of the fact that fire restrictions exist. Perhaps notices to all USPS mail addresses?

I also think that the fire restrictions/bans are unnecessarily difficult to understand. Perhaps a better approach would be to list those activities which are permitted, and all NOT mentioned are prohibited?

Regarding arson, I don't have a good solution for preventing/reducing that. Perhaps more situational awareness on the part of residents, reported to authorities either at the time or after an incident develops, might help?

Just trying to encourage more proactive solutions to the problem.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

02 Jul 2012 20:55 #9 by navycpo7
yep they are out there, "heres your sign" idiots.

In the flume the TYPE II fire ban was there with all items banned or how to listed.

02 Jul 2012 21:04 #10 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic I can't believe some people
How many actually read the Flume, or PC, or 285Bound, or DSV, or ???

How do we get the message across to the rest?

Edited to add:

Preaching to the choir, whether they are awake at the time or not, does not get the message across to those who are not in the choir.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds