Jeffco ballot initiatives 3A and 3B: Vote yes PER DP

24 Sep 2012 06:54 #11 by Nobody that matters

archer wrote: Contrary to popular opinion, not everyone in Evergreen is rich, but those that are tend to be republican, and they will most likely vote yes Without giving a thought to those who even a slight increase in expenses can be difficult. We need more democrats in Jeffco.

Bullsnot.

I'm republican and I'm voting no. The budget is being cut in the wrong areas, and I won't give them more money until they hit the administration a whole lot harder than the classrooms.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Sep 2012 07:00 #12 by RenegadeCJ

archer wrote: Affordable or not, I think this is the wrong time to be asking people to pony up more money for a school system that seems more interested in infrastructure than they are in children's education. We have some pretty fancy schools we have built and outfitted in the last 10 years, but the best education I have seen offered in Jeffco was in an old building on 10th and Wadsworth in Lakewood, the Jefferson County Open School. We need more innovation in education and less spending on the trappings of education.JMHO.

Wow...so you agree? Unions are the problem? Glad to see you see the value in non union controlled schools.

I'm voting against 3A & 3B because I don't think the schools need any more $$ until the prove success in teaching kids. This $$ doesn't make it to the kids in any way, shape, or form.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

24 Sep 2012 10:54 #13 by BearMtnHIB

archer wrote: Affordable or not, I think this is the wrong time to be asking people to pony up more money for a school system that seems more interested in infrastructure than they are in children's education. We have some pretty fancy schools we have built and outfitted in the last 10 years, but the best education I have seen offered in Jeffco was in an old building on 10th and Wadsworth in Lakewood, the Jefferson County Open School. We need more innovation in education and less spending on the trappings of education.JMHO.

Good for you Archer. I agree that some republicans in Evergreen will be voting for this tax increase. Keep in mind that in North Evergreen, we do have lots of new people moving in from the east coast- both liberals and big government type "republicans".

They were attracted here by relatively (by east coast standards) low property tax rates- and a less intrusive local government system.

Then as soon as they get here- they proceed to vote for exactly the same kinds of tax burdens and greater local government controls that they seemingly moved to get away from. In other words- they come here and want to change it into New Jersey style.

In Jefferson County- we taxpayers pay a full 30% more than the average Colorado county for our school system. This is very notable considering all you ever hear from the school district and teachers is how they constantly need more money.

It's like a 12 year old who has a very generous and rich dad paying an allowance- why settle for the status quo when you can always ask for more, even though you already get more allowance than all of your other friends.

We pay 30% MORE than the average district in Colorado- so they already have a very well funded school system here. Jefferson County taxpayers have been very generous in years past- approving many of the tax increases for schools- and the higher value of homes in this area mean more money for the district per student. Each student in Jeffco schools costs the district just about $12,000/ per year, and per student. That's a lot of money!

They have all the money they need to educate our children with a first class education, yet still they fall short.

The "it's for the children" argument dosn't hold water here. All the taxpayers like me want- is for the school district to find a way to do better with the money they already have.

They expect to keep increasing their funding- even during bad economic times- and here with this new tax proposal, they would like to increase the debt that the school system owes. The Jeffco school system already has a budget of 1 billion dollars a year.

As one of the meeting attendees about this tax proposal has pointed out- a kid in a Jeffco kindergarten class today will still be paying for this debt (if it passes) when she is 25 years old! Assuming she can afford to live here!

At a time when businesses in the area are just squeeking by - they want to squeeze another $500.00 a year out of them.

At a time when families are cutting back on everything they can- having suffered lost jobs and decreased incomes, the school system wants another $150.00 a year, and that is for the average value home, those who have homes worth 350k-450K or more can double or even triple that amount.

Many retired senior citizens are on a fixed income and have experienced their investment income dwindle, they are cutting their budget everywhere they can just to get by. Many of our seniors are falling short- and the school system wants more money from them as well.

Many of these older folks simply can not afford more taxes at this time, and many more like me are concerned that when we retire, we will not be able to afford to live in our home town.

Jeffco school district is the single largest consumer of our property taxes in the county- they account for a full 50% of our property taxes.

As Sheila Atwell has accurately pointed out, as the economy improves, the school system automatically gets more money.

The school system here is already very well funded - and they do not need this additional tax at this time.

Vote no on these two tax proposals.

01 Oct 2012 20:11 #14 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Jeffco ballot initiatives 3A and 3B: Vote yes PER DP
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21668 ... d-measures

Jeffco schools detail possible cuts if bond measures fail

Read more: Jeffco schools detail possible cuts if bond measures fail - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21668 ... z286US3OYn
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

02 Oct 2012 05:51 #15 by RenegadeCJ
I love it when public sector unions threaten the people who pay their salaries.

It is amazing how virtually every company I know is getting by on less. But no, public sector unions want more, or else they will take it out on the children.

Nice...

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

02 Oct 2012 06:47 #16 by Nobody that matters

CinnamonGirl wrote: www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21668913/jeff...uts-if-bond-measures

Jeffco schools detail possible cuts if bond measures fail

Read more: Jeffco schools detail possible cuts if bond measures fail - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21668 ... z286US3OYn
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

I'm not going to read it, as I refuse to listen to their scare tactics: "Vote to spend more money! It's for the kids! If you don't we'll have to close all the bathrooms and force your kids to sit out in the snow!"

No, it's for the administrators and the unions.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

02 Oct 2012 08:26 #17 by Mtn Gramma
I worked for Jeffco for 22 years and NTM is exactly right. They always used scare tactics on the general public and on the employees. Yet, after the voting, they magically came up with the money they needed from some fund they were unaware of previously. Under Cindy Stevinson's "leadership" its only gotten worse. Working in the district I saw unbelievable waste at all levels, all the while the administration was crying poor mouth. TOSAs (teacher on special assignment), reading coaches, etc., are needed to "support" or "supplement" teachers in the classroom. Really? A trained professional now needs a coach to help them teach reading? And don't even get me started on having a principal, an assistant principal, and a dean of students in a 450 enrollment elementary school.

Jeffco has become a bloated beast and needs to go on a diet.

02 Oct 2012 08:44 #18 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Jeffco ballot initiatives 3A and 3B: Vote yes PER DP

If you don't we'll have to close all the bathrooms and force your kids to sit out in the snow

That is funny.

02 Oct 2012 08:46 #19 by TPP

akilina wrote: Vote NO! Maybe Evergreenites have the money to fund waste in the schools but too many down the hill are barely making it.

:yeahthat: :like:

02 Oct 2012 08:49 #20 by TPP
@ archer, What this country needs is less democraps, and MORE Right-Thinkers.

(Note: I didn't say Republicans)

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds