Jeffco ballot initiatives 3A and 3B: Vote yes PER DP

22 Sep 2012 13:40 #1 by CinnamonGirl
http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_21 ... lp-schools

The West Chamber serving Jefferson County supports 3A and 3B, leaving some business owners to ask, "Why would an organization that supports the business community back a tax on businesses?"

After reviewing studies to determine the impact the bond and mill levy override will have on the business community and on our community as a whole, the answer is simple: Our schools need us, and we need strong schools to attract and retain businesses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Sep 2012 19:23 #2 by akilina
Vote NO! Maybe Evergreenites have the money to fund waste in the schools but too many down the hill are barely making it.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

22 Sep 2012 20:24 #3 by archer
Contrary to popular opinion, not everyone in Evergreen is rich, but those that are tend to be republican, and they will most likely vote yes Without giving a thought to those who even a slight increase in expenses can be difficult. We need more democrats in Jeffco.

23 Sep 2012 11:00 #4 by Slicky
Lets get our facts straight Archer.
Fact: The majority of Jeffco School employees are Democrat, and the Union ALWAYS backs Democratic candidates.
Fact: Evergreen is filled with California transplants, who are Democrat.
Fact: Republicans are Fiscal Conservatives, who don't vote to spend money.
Fact: Jeffco Schools are horribly wasteful with the money they get.
Fact: Very little, if any, of the tax dollars raised by these initiatives will reach the children. It never does.

Evergreen does not need more Democrats. They will vote those taxes in...to save the children.

23 Sep 2012 11:20 #5 by archer

Slicky wrote: Lets get our facts straight Archer.
Fact: The majority of Jeffco School employees are Democrat, and the Union ALWAYS backs Democratic candidates.
Fact: Evergreen is filled with California transplants, who are Democrat.
Fact: Republicans are Fiscal Conservatives, who don't vote to spend money.
Fact: Jeffco Schools are horribly wasteful with the money they get.
Fact: Very little, if any, of the tax dollars raised by these initiatives will reach the children. It never does.

Evergreen does not need more Democrats. They will vote those taxes in...to save the children.

Those aren't facts...those are your prejudices stated as facts.

23 Sep 2012 17:01 #6 by FredHayek
World upside down Archer? The lawns I see with Obama signs also support 3A & 3B. But liberals here don't support it.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Sep 2012 17:21 #7 by archer
Man with too much time on his hands....do you drive around Evergreen looking for this stuff? I'm not sure your poll of signs is scientific, nor is my experience talking to friends and neighbors. I can only base my opinion on what i hear, and what I hear doesn't match with what you and slinky have claimed. I will concede that those with children in the jeffco schools are more likely to vote yes and I doubt political affiliation has much to do with it. But I understand how much you and slinky want to blame liberals for everything you don't like.

23 Sep 2012 18:43 #8 by FredHayek
Sorry to get you so riled up but I can see your point about those with kids in the system will support increasing taxes for schools...but I expect it to be defeated. Caveat. I haven't seen any polls. People still feel like they can't afford it.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Sep 2012 19:15 #9 by Blazer Bob

Democracy4Sale wrote: I remember Amendment 23; and I remember the Bond Issue for Jefferson County that was supposed to come with a link to grade-improvement--"No performance, no money." Uh-huh. Ever seen a bond issue passed based on a trigger where the money wasn't distributed because the trigger didn't happen? Neither have I.

They've come to the well too many times...I'm going to vote against this one.

archer wrote: Man with too much time on his hands....do you drive around Evergreen looking for this stuff? I'm not sure your poll of signs is scientific, nor is my experience talking to friends and neighbors. I can only base my opinion on what i hear, and what I hear doesn't match with what you and slinky have claimed. I will concede that those with children in the jeffco schools are more likely to vote yes and I doubt political affiliation has much to do with it. But I understand how much you and slinky want to blame liberals for everything you don't like.

23 Sep 2012 20:01 #10 by archer
Affordable or not, I think this is the wrong time to be asking people to pony up more money for a school system that seems more interested in infrastructure than they are in children's education. We have some pretty fancy schools we have built and outfitted in the last 10 years, but the best education I have seen offered in Jeffco was in an old building on 10th and Wadsworth in Lakewood, the Jefferson County Open School. We need more innovation in education and less spending on the trappings of education.JMHO.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds