So, what's your plate?

30 Jul 2010 06:47 #11 by Scooby72
Replied by Scooby72 on topic So, what's your plate?
Thanks, most welcome too. :) Serving in the Navy was probably the funnest years of my life. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jul 2010 10:13 #12 by Local_Historian
See, I only tend to notice people's plates when someone is being an ass. Sadly, there's two trucks up here with FF plates that drive like no one else is on the road, or as if they are the road's sole owners, and everyone else should cater to them. Those I notice.

30 Jul 2010 12:21 #13 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic So, what's your plate?
My plate is my Amateur Radio call sign.

These plates are used to let people know that we have additional communications capability on board, should it be needed.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

31 Jul 2010 22:12 #14 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic So, what's your plate?

Scooby72 wrote: There seems to be a lot of aggression on the boards the past 12 hours, I wonder what's up.

I am a veteran - so I got a honarably discharged plate. I haven't seen ff's drive too much different than others, there's a ton of rude drivers out there that can give a whole group a bad name - so please don't judge them all. My bf is a ff/paramedic and is one of the most cautious and patient drivers I've ever seen. He's actually going to take his off this next time around, he says there is too many of them now.

I don't consider my plate vanity, I served my country and I'm proud of that, not sure how that's vain...

You should have gotten US NAVY plates. But I only have the Honorable Discharged Veteran plates too. Gonna change them out to US Navy plates. The ones that I give breaks to, say Vietnam Veterans. I am not, Gulf War, Bosnia, but I think those men and women have earned my respect more than I should have thiers.

02 Aug 2010 08:55 #15 by ComputerBreath
I had Honorable Discharged Veteran plates until my 60% disability came through...now I have Disabled Veteran tags and they are free!!! Love it.

But, the information on the Colorado Department of Revenue website on how to get them is incorrect. And when I called the phone number to make sure I was sending all the information they needed (almost to include the signature of the doctor that was present at my birth), they referred me to a phone number to help me get my disability status letter and it is a regional office where anyone within the western region of the US can answer...they guy that answered my call was in California...not a lot of help. When I called the State VA number, I explained that I was frustrated and why and (I swear this guy was a retired E9 because he cursed at the state) within 10 minutes I had my documentation.

Just to remember, if anyone is a 50% or more disabled veteran, they can get disabled veteran's license plates for free. It really is worth the hassle and misinformation.

02 Aug 2010 09:47 #16 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic So, what's your plate?
Top: "I brake for Klingons,

Bottom: I speed-up for trolls!"

Trolls know who they are....

02 Aug 2010 09:51 #17 by Nobody that matters

Scooby72 wrote: There seems to be a lot of aggression on the boards the past 12 hours, I wonder what's up.

I am a veteran - so I got a honarably discharged plate. I haven't seen ff's drive too much different than others, there's a ton of rude drivers out there that can give a whole group a bad name - so please don't judge them all. My bf is a ff/paramedic and is one of the most cautious and patient drivers I've ever seen. He's actually going to take his off this next time around, he says there is too many of them now.

I don't consider my plate vanity, I served my country and I'm proud of that, not sure how that's vain...

Your original post made it sound like you chose to spell something out on your plates rather than just taking the next number in line.... and that is what's called a "vanity" plate.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

03 Aug 2010 09:18 #18 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic So, what's your plate?
My wife has the bless our troops plate and someone actually came up to her in a parking lot and asked her where she got it. Duh, at the DMV!

I prefer the original green plate. Greenies unite!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 Aug 2010 12:51 #19 by The Boss
Replied by The Boss on topic So, what's your plate?
Don't know my plate, I think it blew away. I am pretty sure it is the CO one with the mtns. on it.

I do find vanity plates to be just that, a little vain, but those with extra money to spend are welcome to buy such things. Always curious why they pick the state as the default charity. But please, less I have to pay.

The thing I find odd is wanting to customize what amounts to a criminal preidentification tag. The only functions of the plate are to show you paid your car tax and to allow LE to find or fine you (plates are easy to remove from stolen cars). Don't tell me that is how you find your car in a lot, you can put a cute flag on for that. Seems like such number would also work well on the front and back of our shirts - show that you paid your taxes and allow LE to find or fine you, just in case.

But in general I assume vanity plates mean vanity.

But I have been some pretty poor backwoods hick kind of places where vanity plates were the norm. They went along well with the Jacked up Pickups, which were easier on the eyes than these not so vain people....god bless 'em.

I say supporting troops and other causes are great, but have no place on our plates...what % really makes it past the DMV.

06 Aug 2010 21:30 #20 by Scooby72
Replied by Scooby72 on topic So, what's your plate?

navycpo7 wrote:

You should have gotten US NAVY plates. But I only have the Honorable Discharged Veteran plates too. Gonna change them out to US Navy plates. The ones that I give breaks to, say Vietnam Veterans. I am not, Gulf War, Bosnia, but I think those men and women have earned my respect more than I should have thiers.

I went back and forth on which one to get, I felt like the US Navy should be for active - but I may change in a couple of years. And I do agree, I see purple heart, vietnam vet, etc., and I am inclined to stop and shake their hand. Which of course isn't possible since we are driving, but I try to make eye contact and give them a head nod. I work at the VA and we lose so many vets - very sad, incredible people and rich history. And of course, lest we not forget our current troops. :) /salute

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds