Obama's Gulf Oil Spill Commission and the Missing Experts

30 Jul 2010 01:02 #1 by Rockdoc

Instead of an oil spill commission staffed with experts, as promised in his Oval Office address, the president has announced a panel with membership that reads like a Who's Who of radical environmentalism. Former Senator Graham of Florida, for example, has consistently pushed for a ban on oil drilling, and Frances Beinecke of the National Resources Defense Council has argued for the global warming agenda -- including linking "global poverty" to global warming, an argument used at the Copenhagen conference to support reparations to be paid to nations such as Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe for our supposed global crimes.
In fact, if you peruse the names of the council members, there isn't a single expert in oil drilling, oil platform rigs, or petroleum engineering. The panel's membership doesn't even include a single oil drilling company executive, or even a field engineer. In fact, the only technical-minded person on the commission at all is Cherry Murray, Dean of Harvard's Engineering School.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/06/ ... missi.html

Oh please do read the article to get a comprehensive view. I find it shocking that even in the face of this disaster, Obama attempts to make political hay.

Solid recommendations and decisive action was missing during the whole process of getting the Deepwater Horizon well under control. i kept wondering why? Now I understand given the make up of the watchdog panel Obama put in charge. While very bright people, they were clueless about oil exploration. Hence naive approaches and lack of expertise resulted in endless delays while the group underwent a steep learning curve at our and BP's expense. If there were not so many holdups on whether or not BP was allowed to proceed, the well would have (note not could have) been capped much sooner. Crap like this is totally frustrating. What in the hell was he thinking? Do you really want to insure the work to be done is sound and relevant information is gathered or do you want to train people in frontier oil exploration processes? It sure would have made much more sense to have the brightest experts working towards a solution than some ignorant group that is drowning in deep water because they are not trained in survival skills.

And to those of you who will jump to the defense of such a group, I say Bull Sh**. It is one thing to bring different line of expertise to bear during a brainstorming session and quite another to offer "professional" guidelines in disaster management. It is inexcusable.

I realize extrapolation of something like this is dangerous, but if this reflects the Modus operandi, we are indeed in deep sh**. Disgusted, Franz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jul 2010 07:21 #2 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

31 Jul 2010 06:43 #3 by Rockdoc
I'm more frustrated by this today than when I first came across the article. How does anyone justify such action?

To me this is like going to the doctor's office with a medical problem and then having our government insist that all physicians must have their diagnosis evaluated and ok'ed by top flight economic experts they appointed to oversee all medical evaluations. Perhaps you would be ok with this but I sure as hell would object. When I'm in need of medical treatment I want medical not economic expertise. Simply stupid and insulting.

31 Jul 2010 06:53 #4 by LOL
Good info Doc, and just think of all the other non-expert commissions out there in Obama land and Congress making our policy. Doubt this is the only one. Clueless bureaucrats and suits ruling the world!

They don't want experts telling them the truth. Its all a side show.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

31 Jul 2010 08:01 #5 by The Viking
Great article Franz! Thanks.

02 Aug 2010 10:39 #6 by ScienceChic
I am very disappointed that no experts in oil drilling, geology, or likewise are included. This panel could have been a lot more balanced and thus had a greater potential to put together a much more comprehensive, inclusive policy. I can only hope that they draw deeply on testimony from these kinds of people in their search for information to create effective, intelligent policies.

However, the article did get one thing wrong - there is a oil exec on the panel (William Reilly serves on the board of ConocoPhillips), and Terry Garcia has this listed in his CV, which I think is good background experience for this type of disaster:

From 1994 to 1996, he was NOAA's general counsel. In that capacity he led the implementation of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Restoration Plan for Prince William Sound and the Gulf of Alaska.

About the Commission http://www.oilspillcommission.gov/page/about-commission

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gener ... -Dark.html
Why the Deepwater Horizon Commission Will be Operating in the Dark
Written by Geoffrey Styles
Wednesday, 23 June 2010 01:07

I don't often urge my readers to take action on the subject of one of my blogs, but in this case, if you share my concerns about the omission of critical experience from the staffing of this commission, you should contact the White House and your Representatives in Congress to express that view.

I also have a problem with BP stifling the scientists that it does hire.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/ ... 4607.shtml

BP has been trying to hire marine scientists from universities around the Gulf Coast in an apparent move to bolster the company's legal defense against anticipated lawsuits related to the Gulf oil spill, according to a report from The Press-Register in Mobile, Ala.

In a letter to BP's CEO Tony Hayward, NRDC director Peter Lehner said the company should give the money to an independent entity like the National Academy of Sciences, which would then dole out the sums to other scientists. "Anything less must be construed as BP's attempt to control the study," NRDC blogger Sarah Chasis said.

"More than one scientist interviewed by the Press-Register described being offered $250 an hour through BP lawyers," the article said. "At eight hours a week, that amounts to $104,000 a year."

I absolutely deplore this, but in this economy, many would be tempted, and have, to take that offer. It does not bode well for the rest of us when special interests and the government run roughshod over ethical execution of investigations of disasters that affect us all.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Aug 2010 06:10 #7 by homeagain
NOT the first time this has happened......after the9/11 tragedy,the question of air quality and health concerns over the pulverized
building materials (dust) became a issue. ALL were assured the quality of the air was adequate to resume activity. Fast foreward to
today, the rescue workers and other groups in the area have been DENIED health benefit monies to cover the cost of EXTREME health
issues resulting from inhaling of pulverized cement,glass,drywall,ect. of the Twin Towers. WHO in their sane mind,wouldACCEPT the
results of BP/or the gov as the TRUTH????

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds