Howdy from Chicago

06 Apr 2013 16:42 #1 by bailey bud
Hey guys - let me rant for just a minute or so ----

I'm in Chicago for an academic conference.

I don't get Chicago ---- exotically dressed people spending money they don't have for things they don't need --- to impress people they don't even like.

There's no book store on the Golden mile (apparently, people don't read as much as they used to).
There is an Eddie Bauer store - but their biggest sale item is shorts.
There is an Orvis store --- that I really don't get (not like Lake Michigan is gold medal trout fishery) - that as far as I can tell - doesn't sell much, at all.

There's a dozen or so watch stores, lots of expensive clothing stores, a pricey American Girl store, and a very busy Lego store.

The city is jam-packed with expensive hotels with menus that overflow with words I wouldn't even want to try to pronounce -
(notable exception is Billy Goat Tavern).

Right now - I just wanna go home.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Apr 2013 17:01 #2 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Howdy from Chicago
Get off the golden mile. (Lake Michigan has some awesome fishing) I spent my formative fishing years on Lake Michigan.

Grant Park and "The bean"
Awesome museums -
Uno's Pizza
Second City
Lincoln Park Zoo
Lincoln Park
Navy Pier
Sear's Tower (although I dont think it is called that anymore)
Go for a boat ride out on the lake, or cruise the river

06 Apr 2013 17:13 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Howdy from Chicago
I have never been to Chicago. It sound interesting but I hate the Midwest mostly for one reason only. The HUMIDITY!

06 Apr 2013 17:19 #4 by pacamom
It's humid, but living there you get used to it except for the really high humidity days. Just like here, it is dry and we dont like it when the humidity gets above 10% or so. LOL

Chicago is so much fun - trains and the El, and subways and miles of shoreline and all the unique neighborhoods with there own little "downtowns". Great restaurants (away from the Golden Mile) - which I think really is/was the Magnificent Mile, great theater, parks. The list is endless. I like visiting, but would not want to live there.

06 Apr 2013 17:21 #5 by appleannie
Replied by appleannie on topic Howdy from Chicago
Don't miss the Museum of Science & Industry.

Lots of interesting things to do around Chicago but the golden mile is sorta boring.

06 Apr 2013 17:41 #6 by [Raven]
Replied by [Raven] on topic Howdy from Chicago
The Magnificent Mile is really for tourists, so that's why it stinks. Probably the least interesting place in Chicago. For a nice, relaxing time, head to the Garfield Park Conservatory.

06 Apr 2013 21:30 #7 by pacamom

[Raven] wrote: The Magnificent Mile is really for tourists, so that's why it stinks. Probably the least interesting place in Chicago. For a nice, relaxing time, head to the Garfield Park Conservatory.

Many many years ago, my grandmother worked not too far from the conservatory. I drove by there a few years ago trying to avoid traffic on the expressway. It is amazing to me that a place so peaceful and beautiful is surrounded by neighborhoods that I contemplated running red lights in just so I would not have to stop.

06 Apr 2013 23:11 #8 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Howdy from Chicago
Glad to know you are safe.

"28 Arrested In Mob Attacks On Mag Mile, Red Line"

Things started turn bad around 6:00 p.m. Saturday, with teens purposely bumping into people, and causing fights among themselves.

Fifteen juveniles and two adults were arrested and charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct in connection with the incidents on Michigan Avenue.

Community activist Andrew Holmes witnessed some of the problems, while shopping with his family.

“You had a group of teens, close to maybe 500. They assaulted a Chicago police officer that was mounted on a horse and all of a sudden they assaulted a citizen walking the streets, just a normal citizen shopping and enjoying the weather,” said Holmes.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/30/ ... ing-scene/

07 Apr 2013 07:10 #9 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic Howdy from Chicago
bbob ---

that explains all the police presence last night.

Oddly - not any mention of it in the Tribune.

Big story here is (not surprisingly) the death of Roger Ebert.

07 Apr 2013 10:31 #10 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic Howdy from Chicago
The ornamental architecture of the older buildings downtown really makes one think of the gangster days of Al Capone. That is the only thing that I like about Chicago. Other than that it is the a**hole of the world.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds