DSL now in Bailey and Crow Hill

13 Aug 2010 21:24 #1 by EVCO HI SPEED
DSL is coming to downtown Bailey and Crow Hill next week from EvCo. See more in Mountain Classifieds / Business Forum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2010 06:25 #2 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic DSL now in Bailey and Crow Hill
Great news

16 Aug 2010 20:03 #3 by navycpo7
This is somewhat misleading, as there has been alot of places on crow hill that already have DSL and have had it for some years.

16 Aug 2010 21:02 #4 by Mtn Gramma
And a lot in Burland that still don't.

16 Aug 2010 21:04 #5 by chocolove
The south side of Crow Hill doesn't have it yet. We signed up today but now I have some questions as we weren't given any options on services or charges. Also, is this on Qwest lines?

16 Aug 2010 21:06 #6 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic DSL now in Bailey and Crow Hill

chocolove wrote: The south side of Crow Hill doesn't have it yet. We signed up today but now I have some questions as we weren't given any options on services or charges. Also, is this on Qwest lines?

Yes, EVCOHS uses Quest lines, not a lot of options just wireless or not. Great service but about $10 a month more than Quest.

16 Aug 2010 21:31 #7 by navycpo7

Mtn Gramma wrote: And a lot in Burland that still don't.

alot of that has to do with the limitations of the lines. DSL piggybacks on the normal Qwest line to your house. So if another provider (called a clec) provides your services, not always but alot of the time you will pay alittle more as they rent the lines from Qwest. It is alot of legal mubo jumbo but that is sorta the short version. The DSLAMS have to be installed. TI's have to be installed, Especially since most of the phone lines past Wandcrest are on Pairgain systems that use T1's. So there is alot of things that have to happen for DSL to be there. Most important of which is enough cable pairs and ensuring they have been conditioned for this.

The other item to this is that Qwest is its own ISP. They can provide you with MSN for your internet service or you can go with another which I did without a problem.

17 Aug 2010 07:51 #8 by 2wlady
I don't remember where I heard this, but didn't the federal gov. have some kind of requirement that DSL had to be available in rural areas within 10 years? And now the deadline is approaching? And the phone companies are trying to get out of it by saying that if there is wireless and satellite available, then the phone companies don't need to do anything?

Just wanting to know if anyone else knows anything about this.

17 Aug 2010 09:35 #9 by LadyJazzer
I don't know... A friend just tried to sign up for the "new" DSL service in Bailey, and was told that they couldn't provide it because even though she was in the area where the new service was available, Qwest said they didn't have the capacity to actually provide it. They suggested she call Earthlink and look at going with a dish...

17 Aug 2010 16:58 #10 by navycpo7

LadyJazzer wrote: I don't know... A friend just tried to sign up for the "new" DSL service in Bailey, and was told that they couldn't provide it because even though she was in the area where the new service was available, Qwest said they didn't have the capacity to actually provide it. They suggested she call Earthlink and look at going with a dish...

Come on LJ EVCO stated in the paper and to the PCBB that it would be there in 2 weeks over 2 weeks ago. They also said that everytime you call Qwest you get someone that does not speak english, tech support that I have always talked with was in Iowa and spoke better english than me. They also said for qwest to come into the house to look for the problem would cost 100.00 dollars. Another lie. It may or may not depending on how long it would take them to find the problem, and thats only if the problem is in the house. The best one though, is they stated that DSL can provide high speed internet over lousy phone lines. NOT TRUE EVCO. Those lines have to be in fairly good working order. Otherwise it has an impact on your DSL as the DSL signal piggy backs on the phone line. (also impacts the phone line.) So it must be true because the recieved a personal phone call from Qwest telling them this.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds