Casa Bonita: Landmark Or Eyesore?

23 Apr 2014 10:56 #1 by FredHayek
Casa Bonita is celebrating 40 years but that may all come to an end. The JCRS shopping center has been bought and the new owner wants to raise the rent by a huge amount that may force the Mexican restaurant to close.
Think it is time for it to go? Or is a trip to Casa Bonita one of the kitschy things you have to do as a Denverite or even a tourist?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Apr 2014 12:57 #2 by ScienceChic
I personally wouldn't care if it closed, but it does draw a lot of people and that's always good for business (and supporting the local economy!) so I hope it stays.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Apr 2014 14:57 #3 by homeagain
NOT sure if that side of town has a "farmers market" venue....but I think Casa Bonita has worn
out it's "wonder".....the community (which I once lived in) would be better served by a fresh
market venue like SW Plaza has down in Littleton......OR a Sprouts..... :)

23 Apr 2014 16:12 #4 by Mtn Gramma
Perhaps worn out its wonder to you, but I have yet to see a kid not be enthralled. Took all the grands (ages 4 to 16) there last year - their first time - and they're already asking if they can go back this summer. Its target audience is not adults.

23 Apr 2014 16:27 #5 by Honda Rider
I loved it when my parents used go there when I was a kid, havent been there since I was 8yrs old, I think its time for a visit. I do think they are a part Denver history and should stay.

23 Apr 2014 17:34 #6 by FredHayek
When I was a kid I thought the place was huge but last time I visited I just noticed how well they did creating the illusion of size.

23 Apr 2014 17:59 #7 by homeagain

homeagain wrote: NOT sure if that side of town has a "farmers market" venue....but I think Casa Bonita has worn
out it's "wonder".....the community (which I once lived in) would be better served by a fresh
market venue like SW Plaza has down in Littleton......OR a Sprouts..... :)

Well there you go....I have NO children/grandchildren......so I guess THAT is the reason I have
another POV......I hope they have done some "renovating/cleaning" to the interior because
the last time I was there it was shabby/run down and the "dimming of the light" ambiance did
NOT hide the obvious......disclaimer....it's been a VERY long time since I entered the doors to
that establishment.....HOPE it's changed.

23 Apr 2014 18:01 #8 by homeagain

Mtn Gramma wrote: Perhaps worn out its wonder to you, but I have yet to see a kid not be enthralled. Took all the grands (ages 4 to 16) there last year - their first time - and they're already asking if they can go back this summer. Its target audience is not adults.

This quote did not follow my previous quote above...... :smackshead:

23 Apr 2014 20:05 - 23 Apr 2014 22:10 #9 by otisptoadwater
Good points made about the target audience not being adults and also about the potential economic impacts of a large business closing. It's been a few years since I have been in that part of town but if memory serves me correctly it's not the prettiest area and there aren't a lot of other big businesses in the neighborhood.

Even more years ago my Little Brother insisted on taking his soon to be six year old daughter to Casa Bonita for her birthday. Of course being the older brother I proceeded to tell him what a bad idea that was, it seemed to me like a waste of time and money for food that barely rivals the quality of a cheap TV dinner. Besides, I was visiting on leave and I wanted to see the sites worth seeing, eat the best food, and enjoy the local watering holes.

What I didn't account for was how much fun the kids had, we got a table on the upper floor right next to the cliff diving pool and the divers were entertaining enough but then the guy in the ape suit came out and "escaped" from his trainer. The guy in the ape suit must have noticed the balloons, gifts, and birthday cake on our table because he made a bee line right for us! At first it was funny then it got scary for little kids and the "ape" backed off and went in a different direction. My niece is 19 years old now but if you ask her about Casa Bonita she'll recount the story of her sixth birthday party and what an adventure she had that day!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 Apr 2014 21:56 #10 by FredHayek
Great story Otis. A lot of memories have been made there. I knew a couple of guys who were Casa Bonita divers.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds