Tiny House Nation Premieres in July, One Home in Conifer!

26 Jun 2014 22:10 #1 by ScienceChic
Tiny House Nation, premiering July 9 10ET/11PT. One of our neighbors will be featured as one of the homes built in this show! Kristen Moeller and Dave Cottrell, who lost their home in the Lower North Fork Fire, had a Tiny Home built (500 sq ft) and the film crew just left. Their episode will air sometime in August, no date set as of yet.

http://www.fyi.tv/shows/tiny-house-nation

In “Tiny House Nation,” renovation experts and hosts, John Weisbarth and Zack Giffin, travel across America to show off ingenious small spaces and the inventive people who live in them, as well as help new families design and construct their own mini-dream home in a space no larger than 300 square feet. From pricey to budget friendly, “Tiny House Nation” is not a typical design show, but one that proves size doesn’t always matter – it’s creativity that counts.

http://kristenmoeller.com/2013/12/excer ... iting-for/

[youtube:2nbm2avy]
[/youtube:2nbm2avy]

Sharing my journey in "walking through fire" after losing my home to the Lower North Fork fire in 2012.

http://kristenmoeller.com/2013/06/fires ... r-comfort/
https://www.facebook.com/kristenmoellerfanpage
https://twitter.com/KristenMoeller

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Aug 2014 09:20 - 02 Aug 2014 09:20 #2 by ScienceChic
The date has finally been released for the episode that Kristen and David's house will be shown - August 13th! I'm so excited for them - can't wait to see it!

Littleton, Colorado home to star on FYI's "Tiny House Nation"
By Jordan Gonzalez
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/02/2014

(Photos by Cyrus McCrimmon, The Denver Post)
LITTLETON — When it was clear that she had to evacuate her home in 2012, Kristen Moeller put her two dogs, Tigger and Roscoe, in her car first.

There wasn't time to save much else as the flames from the Lower North Fork Fire were creeping closer each minute from the valley below their front yard. A friend threw some wedding photos in a bag and the pair scrambled to a waiting car.

When Moeller and her husband, David Cottrell, returned to the site days later, only a charred totem pole had survived. Their dream house, Cottrell's extensive tool collection, their boat — all were gone.

More than two years later, the property remains scarred, with charred trees instead of a shady forest canopy. But they do have a new house — one that's a mere 500 square feet — to replace the 1,200-square-foot one that burned.

Moeller and Cottrell's house will be featured in an episode on Aug. 13 at 10 p.m.

View more images of the home

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MtnSIG

04 Aug 2014 11:19 #3 by ScienceChic

04 Aug 2014 19:44 #4 by Venturer
Thanks for the link. It reminds of their previous home but w/o the decks and 3rd level.

05 Aug 2014 19:03 #5 by ScienceChic
From Denver Channel 7:
Smaller dream house replaces home lost to fire - Video
Kristen Skovira
2:45 PM, Aug 5, 2014

On the ashes of their dream home lost during the Lower North Fork Fire, Kristen Moeller and David Cottrell now live in a 500 square foot house. Their solar panels are nearly as big.

"Most people, most average Americans and most of our friends, nobody lives in something this small, so people say, 'How are you doing it?' Moeller said.

06 Aug 2014 08:09 #6 by Freezeman
"space no larger than 300 square feet"
500 square feet is about twice the size. So I guess that does prove that size doesn't always matter.LOL

06 Aug 2014 10:11 #7 by swansei
After learning how many decks and foliage/trees near the house ignite in a wildfire, the new home and its surroundings with a lot of rock is encouraging. I hope there is some comment on it in their episode.

I am wondering if this is only part time and if they continue to live full time at their home in Evergreen.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

08 Aug 2014 16:39 #8 by Ashley
We have watched a couple of episodes. Very creative uses of space in the tiny homes. I wonder how long for bear to find the refrigerator and rotisserie on the deck.

Some of the former homes have a massive amount of stuff. A smaller footprint is a fine idea but I also wonder about keeping the economy afloat by buying all that stuff.

09 Aug 2014 20:21 #9 by Venturer
Do you think it will catch on in the USA? We are used to big everything.

Wouldn't work well if you need a wheelchair to get around.

It certainly would take less time to clean.

Perhaps more time spent in the beautiful outdoors?

09 Aug 2014 20:24 #10 by Venturer
When we spent time in Japan, we learned that many purchase new, keep for a year, throw it away and not recycle it and buy new to boost the economy.

Ashley wrote: We have watched a couple of episodes. Very creative uses of space in the tiny homes. I wonder how long for bear to find the refrigerator and rotisserie on the deck.

Some of the former homes have a massive amount of stuff. A smaller footprint is a fine idea but I also wonder about keeping the economy afloat by buying all that stuff.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds