Community Meeting Re: Rezoning Request for St Malo Catholic Center, Pine

11 Aug 2015 08:00 #21 by ZHawke

Archdiocese wrote: The water will come from wells. Steps have been taken to ensure access and rights to water are appropriate and in order.

Thank you. That being said, will research be done to try and determine what, if any, impact additional wells being drilled might have on local water table levels? I'm not trying to be an alarmist. It's simply that some residents' wells in other areas we're familiar with have had their wells go dry as a result of someone else drilling a new well nearby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Aug 2015 09:22 - 11 Aug 2015 09:22 #22 by Archdiocese

ZHawke wrote: will research be done to try and determine what, if any, impact additional wells being drilled might have on local water table levels?

Yes

11 Aug 2015 13:40 #23 by Ashley

Archdiocese wrote: The Archdiocese of Denver is a non-profit religious organization. We have been granted tax exemption. It is not that we choose whether to use our exemption or not. We operate as a tax exempt entity.

The water will come from wells. Steps have been taken to ensure access and rights to water are appropriate and in order.

So as a tax exempt entity you will not pay any taxes to Jeffco? That is correct?

I understand and appreciate that everything is in its beginning stages. So the miminum amount of vehicles initially could be 30 cars. With what is planned what is the maximum number. Surely there will be times when many activities will be going on. An estimate would be appreciated and I understand it is only in the beginning stages and subject to change but what is the maximum that you could project over many years that you may own it.

Also related to this the pods with 16 plus 2 adults is that per pod or for all pods? Will they be bussed in or brought in via vehicles?

And a comment from some of the posts by you and others on another website. You initially mentioned that trails would be available for use by others, then defined it further to say not to the public but available to those who live by and have the same values as you. You do realize that offering to some and excluding others smacks of trying to bribe nearby residents to vote in your favor. I don't think that initially was/is your intention but why do nearby residents get to use it and those who live further distance but are impacted don't? Perhaps this one needs to be reevaluated, made clear or eliminated altogether.

Thank you.

14 Aug 2015 07:48 #24 by Ashley
What specifically will be done? Wells are a major problem in the mountains with more being impacted over time with new growth. And if it will have an impact on the surrounding community what would the Archdiocese be willing to do to mitigate.

So far the retreat does not pay any taxes, adds a huge volume of vehicles and people which affects the wildlife, increases wildfire risks and adds to an already heavily burdened water table.

Wouldn't a more remote location make more sense?

Archdiocese wrote:

ZHawke wrote: will research be done to try and determine what, if any, impact additional wells being drilled might have on local water table levels?

Yes

15 Aug 2015 07:55 - 15 Aug 2015 07:58 #25 by Ashley
My home is close to your proposed development. We have the Preble's Meadow Jumping Mouse. I know you are in the early stages of development but what has been done to study the impact on this endangered species. rockymountainwild.org/species/mammals/pr...meadow-jumping-mouse

I read with interest on another website that you do not expect to have a large number of people at any one time. If that were indeed true and could rely on the veracity of your statements then why the need for a multitude of enormous buildings. Wouldn't one building for 30 people suffice considering that they would all be coming at different times and could use the same structure. What I see proposed and what you state do not appear the least bit accurate.

And one more comment. I have many family who are priests, sisters or other family who spend much time cleaning the church and volunteering for so many other duties. They live in poverty while the Archdiocese decides it needs to spend 2 million to purchase land and probably just as much to build the structures when there are so many more other pressing needs, never mind the impact to this community. My opinion of the Archdiocese has certainly changed based on what I am seeing. Surely this is not your intent?

16 Aug 2015 08:59 #26 by Ashley
Archdiocese I am looking at the site plans, what is the size of the proposed sewage treatment plant? Since it must accommodate all the numerous buildings and the number of people to be there, more likely the site plans belie your statements of initially 30 cars. As asked before what is the maximum that could be there based on the number of buildings and the size of the proposed treatment plant?

One thing I do like is location of the buildings, although lower on the hill rather than on the ridge so as to mute the lighting to all the surrounding areas. If I am looking at the topo correctly the hill across from the proposed buildings might also block visual to some of Douglas Ranch subdivision or do they get to see all of the buildings, lighting and traffic?

Now for some other comments. From another website, negative on road maintaining and snow plowing by the county if houses are built. If you notice from the Preserve and the Reserve the county usually does not accept roads, they prefer that they be up to code but kept private and maintained by the residents in the subdivision. At least there would be a lot more support of the county in taxes with homes that zero from the Archdiocese.

If the Archdiocese of Denver has so much money to waste on a retreat they could opt to pay taxes rather than take their tax exempt status. Better yet not build and use the money to help all the Catholics in South America who live in abject poverty if they can't spend it on the low income in their own Archdiocese.

18 Aug 2015 08:26 #27 by Ashley
Thanks for having this thread here. It gives an opportunity to discuss even if the Archdiocese proves to be unresponsive.

In Jeffco building is not allowed in riparian areas. Their rules are much stricter than Parcko. That is why the proposed Archdiocese buildings are higher up in the trees. If it was residential you would not see any building in the riparian areas either.

If you were here for the Hi Meadow fire, there were some in Jeffco who purchased or built homes in riparian areas long before it was restricted. When their homes burned, the insurance covered the rebuild but not the foundation, septic, leachfield. And Jeffco would not allow a rebuild if it was in a riparian area. So some who lost their homes who were already shocked by their loss were even more so when they had to pay and rebuild their foundation, etc. higher up if they could. Some could not.

18 Aug 2015 08:52 #28 by ScienceChic
I did not know that part of the history, thank you Ashley.

I'm guessing that the Archdiocese is realizing they have a lot of information to process and this will take some time to address it all. I'm sure they'll be back!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Aug 2015 16:24 #29 by Archdiocese
Ashley, the Archdiocese sees a strong need for a religious Retreat and Conference Center. We are constantly hearing from individuals and organizations who are so happy that we are working to provide for a peaceful place to get away from their daily struggles and recharge their “spiritual batteries”.

We are glad to see that you are concerned about the plight of the poor and disadvantaged both in the local communities and internationally. So is the Archdiocese. Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Denver currently manages over 30 ministries serving more than 50,000 people in need annually. The Archdiocese has worked with volunteers in all of its programs and understands that burnout is a major problem.

Retreats are one way we have of ministering to our volunteers and inspiring new people to volunteer. Retreats are also used to enrich marriages and enliven the faith life of existing members of Catholic Parishes throughout the Archdiocese. Many of our seminarians received the calling to the priesthood while on retreat at St. Malo before it destruction by fire. Spiritual retreats are an integral part of a healthy faith life in the Church.

We want to hear more about your concerns, and hope that you and many other local residents will come to the Community Meeting at 6:00 PM this Thursday at Our Lady of the Pines.

18 Aug 2015 19:50 #30 by Ashley
Thank you Archdiocese, I really do appreciate your response.

I do understand the need for a retreat. I can think of the priests and sisters in my family who work tirelessly and could use something like this on occasion.

But my question is whether this is the right place for a retreat as massive as it will be which will impact all the residents in the area because of water, wildfire, wildlife, traffic, etc. issues.

I am hoping that this Thursday will be an opportunity to learn more about the proposal by residents and for you to learn about all the concerns residents have. To also be willing to redo your proposal so as not to impact an entire community. Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds