Community Meeting Re: Rezoning Request for St Malo Catholic Center, Pine

21 Aug 2015 18:38 - 21 Aug 2015 18:39 #41 by MyMountainTown
Our apologies, the video of last night's Community Meeting is taking longer to process than we'd anticipated (it's nearly 2 hours long). Below is last week's Elk Creek Fire Protection District Board of Directors Meeting during which Chief McLaughlin did review a meeting he had with representatives of the Archdiocese of Denver about the Camp St Malo Retreat Center development. His comments about that topic begin at about minute 11:50.

We'll get last nights meeting uploaded as soon as possible.

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Aug 2015 08:51 #42 by MyMountainTown
Camp St Malo Community Meeting video is now uploaded. The questions asked by the audience are a little hard to hear, so they are all written below. We'll try to get time stamps added to them later so you know for certain when the answer is given to any of them that you might be interested in particularly.

If you would like to ask additional questions of the Archdiocese representatives, Michael Six, who is now the Director of this Camp St Malo Retreat Center project, will be at DW's 285 Diner every Wednesday morning at 7am and he would love to meet with you.

Camp St Malo Rezoning Request Community Meeting
August 20, 2015
89 in attendance

Introduction - Allison , Jeffco Planning & Zoning

Agenda
1. Pre-Application Meeting
2. Community Meeting
3. Rezoning
4. Site Development Plan
5. Building Permit

@15:53 Keith Parson, CFO of Archdiocese
@ Michael Six
  • Question about parking lot construction
  • Question about existing house use?
  • Question about hiking trails (red lines)
  • Question about lighting at intersection - traffic study required, not conducted yet
  • Question about evacuations due to past fires, will campfires be allowed for campers
  • Question about how many people they anticipate - 120 in single camping cabins,
  • 160 in chapel, 100 in youth retreat, 60 campers in yurts, 1-2 in hermitages
  • How many wells do you intend to drill?
  • Do you anticipate having a generator or backup power to run wells in case of power outage
  • Question about traffic count on Elk Creek vs on Hwy 285 at Shaffer's Crossing
  • Question about what the developers' plan is for water downstream with multiple wells planned
  • Statement about land use of retreat
  • Question about water rights - does the Lewis family still have the rest of those?
  • Question about previous facility, what was the cause of the fire?
  • Question about wastewater treatment
  • Question about staff & overnight guests
  • Statement about difference between this development & previous plans for multiple homes
  • Question about fire issue: where there will be fire hydrants, buildings with sprinkler systems, fire breaks with school nearby
  • Question about testing of well water for quality/use-ability
  • Question about water transportation to buildings in case of fire.
  • Question about what they are doing with previous property (are they abandoning it)
  • Question about pond - open to public to fish?
  • Question about elk migration through that area. What will they do to prevent any changes
  • Question about traffic/turn lanes/bus stop, ugly look of water tanks
  • Question about future plans for site, will it grow bigger?
  • Does the county have any requirements to work with natural wildlife to ensure minimal disruption?
  • Question about where are guests coming from?
  • Question about children coming? Public or private Catholic schools
  • Question about what the buildings will look like. Why do you need campsites?
  • Question about noxious weeds & herbicide used
  • Will CDOT be brought in to consult on access
  • What's the possibility of the property being subdivided in the future?
  • Question about real estate clause that Archdiocese can't sell if this is not approved?
  • Will smoking be allowed on the property?
  • Question about weddings/receptions, alcohol use permitted
  • Question about possible secondary egress
  • Would the church be willing to provide an easement at Sunset where there's a blind curve in order to help improve the sight line?
  • Statement in support of project
  • @1:29:06 Question about using gray water for fire use, lighting dimming at night
  • Question about renovating white octagon building
  • Statement in support of project
  • Question about half-built road already in existence - it's off of their property
  • Question about existing road access
  • What's the time frame on this project?
  • Question about phasing of project
  • Do you plan to build more if this project is approved?
  • What does the county require for parking based on projected occupancy
  • Ideas about fencing
  • Statement about being prevented from building garages on their own properties
  • Question about proximity of camping to Douglas Ranch residential area
  • Question about camping area

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

22 Aug 2015 15:35 #43 by Archdiocese
Just a quick correction to one of my comments at the meeting: I will be at DW's on Wednesdays from 8:00 AM until 10:00 AM. I went Friday at 7:00 AM, but they don't open until 8:00! I still had a nice conversation with one resident sitting outside on the half-wall. Looking forward to meeting and hearing from many more local residents!
-Michael Six, Director of Operations, St. Malo

22 Aug 2015 16:05 #44 by ScienceChic
Thank you Sir! Wednesday's from 8-10: I'll add it to our Community Calendar too.

Thank you for your time and well-researched information, it was a very good community meeting.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Aug 2015 22:09 #45 by Ashley
Thank you SC for providing the video.

A couple of comments:

This is one of the better community meetings I have seen. But then the Archdiocese can afford the very best at the parishers' expense. I appreciate that they answered questions to the best of their ability because it is still in the formative stages. And I do appreciate that they are listening to residents concerns.

But based on water capacity/storage this is a massive development, bigger than a Ramada Inn as referenced in the meeting.

I still would like to know more about the capacity of the sewage treatment and hopefully will learn more over time.

And parking for at least 125 vehicles gives some indication as to the amount of vehicles that could be there. But it doesn't mean that it would be limited to that amount. 300 people is a lot of people and it isn't limited to that amount either. The former St. Malo had a very large number of vehicles/people. And I doubt that all would be confined to the building areas and trails so that there would be any number of people in the meadow. And while smoking could/would be restricted there is too much opportunity for unsupervised smoking anywhere on the property creating much higher risks.

As a downstream owner, my first thought is to have the water tested in the creek in my immediate area now and to recommend to all who live in the area to have a well test done so if your well is impacted you have some proof. Claiming that it has been w/o supporting documentation will get you nowhere.

This should be done for any development that would have occurred, not targeting the Archdiocese.

The time frame at least gives those residents who are concerned about wildfire and water issues an opportunity to sell.

As to the question of water rights that Ron Lewis had and didn't lose, it is separate and distinct from the land and may be kept or sold to other users even if the land were in foreclosure. Rarely does a bank/financer have the water rights as collateral, commonly only the land.

More thoughts later.

23 Aug 2015 08:28 #46 by Ashley
Besides a hotel/motel type setting on the property might as well have a bar too, considering weddings and receptions will be allowed, usually resulting in a large number of people, besides regular scheduled activities and alcohol will be allowed and served.

Nice way for a retreat to get around commercial zoning issues and not pay any taxes.

The biggest problem down the road is that the massive well and sewage system will be prime for a commercial venture. Right now it isn't zoned for one but Jeffco in its zeal to gather tax revenue will more than likely allow commercial in the future, since it is already planned for some of 285.

And the Archdiocese doesn't have a clue about wildfires and the impact it will have on the area. It isn't if there will be a wildfire but when and as Elk Creek Fire Chief has pointed out it will most like move north towards the retreat. Even mitigating as per guidelines won't necessarily save anything as we learned in the Lower North Fork Fire.

I like your enthusiasm but you don't have a clue the impact you are making on this community.

If you object in general to parishoners contributions being wasted on such extravagant purchases please contact the Archbishop and the Pope.

Archbishop Aquila
St. John Paul II Center for the New Evangelization
1300 S. Steele St. Denver, CO 80210
(303) 722-4687

or press the link to send an email. archden.org/contact/ .

Specific objections should be sent to Jeffco so you are on the record.

11 Oct 2015 21:19 #47 by Ashley
I still own a home near the proposed Church Retreat so have been talking with neighbors about the issue. Apparently not everyone is on board with what the Church is trying to do.

It does seem that some are so deluded because there is a possibility that the meadow wouldn't be developed by the Church based on the info they have provided.

But after learning about wind turbines and cell phone towers, once the zoning is changed that meadow could potentially be full of the above or other based on the rezoning.

So please think carefully before jumping on a bandwagon that could potentially change the meadow and area. A residential subdivision would likely restrict any potential for future change based on covenants while almost all other zoning would allow for much more future development. Even with restrictions on the Church they still have the opportunity to sell in the future and that meadow could be full of stuff based on the zoning. Something to seriously consider.

SC I posted here rather than the other thread the Archdiocese recenlty started since there are some who would want to see the links and background info provided in this thread.

11 Oct 2015 23:23 #48 by ScienceChic
Totally fine to bump this thread Ashley, as it does contain the history and is good to review.

One thing that the rep from Planning & Zoning said during the presentation at Our Lady of the Pines is that even if the zoning is changed, the plans that the church has submitted for development are approved as is. If they try to make changes, it has to be put back through the building approval process so they can't just add something like a wind turbine. If it goes against what is approved in the county's master plan then it won't be approved.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Oct 2015 14:44 - 12 Oct 2015 14:45 #49 by Ashley
Yes I recall the Jeffco representative saying that. The problem though is that most rezoning can be changed and once a rezoning is done it makes it much easier to ask for more uses of the property, especially if it is resold.

As it was explained to me, if it was a residential subdivision the platting runs with the land meaning that it takes all the residents of the subdivision to change it, which rarely ever happens. All other rezonings opens the land to further changes, usually less restrictive which doesn't necessarily mean it would be an open meadow. There could be wind turbines, cell towers, dump, marijuana manufacturing business when jeffco decides to allow sales/manufacturing, quarry like the one across the road or any other request since the platting does not run with the land and obligate it like a subdivision does.

Shortsightedness could mean a much bigger disaster down the road. Don't be deluded into thinking this is a good option just because it is a church and they said this is all they are going to do. Once granted down the road they could ask for more and more than likely get it because it has already been rezoned, not to mention the profit they can make if they chose to resell it with the new rezoning. Picture hotel/motel or other when the sanitation and water have been developed on the site.

Although this isn't in Jeffco, the old TJ Woods building in Bailey was granted commercial zoning years ago with the stipulation that it would be used only for wood products. TJ is no longer there and the new owners are now requesting commercial w/o any limitations so that they can have a marijuana manufacturing business which is next to a residential subdivision. Lucky them. I hope they enjoy the aromas wafting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: triciaaka

19 Sep 2016 10:21 #50 by ScienceChic
Some developments on this case: September 13th was the Jeffco Board of County Commissioner's Hearing to approve the Re-Zoning application . I have some concerns, the most important of which is that Elk Creek Fire Protection District adamantly opposes this project as it is submitted. The initial plans for a 45,000 sq ft retreat center have been expanded; it is now a 100,000 sq ft, 55' tall, 5 story building. Not only is the fire department not equipped to handle such a structure (they have no ladder truck which would cost district taxpayers $1.5M, per Chief McLaughlin), but the addition of this size structure will change the ISO rating for the district and everyone's insurance rates would go up, per Chief McLaughlin's testimony.

The Planning Commission had voted 6-1 to approve the plans as submitted, making an exception to the 285 Corridor Master Plan guidelines and allowing the 55' high building. After the 3 hour hearing, Casey Tighe made a motion to delay approval until October 25th and Libby Szabo voted in favor so that the Archdiocese and ECFPD have time to meet and work out the fire mitigation, protection, and fire egress issues. I urge you all to watch the 3 hour BOCC Hearing video with the P&Z presentation, public testimony, Chief McLaughlin's testimony (at 1:14:00 minute mark), and the Archdiocese representatives' testimonies. jeffersonco.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=2238

I agree with Libby Szabo that this development project has good potential and that the obstacles aren't insurmountable; it bothers me that a building has been proposed that exceeds our mountain development guidelines and wasn't brought to the attention of the fire department or the public so I'm hoping we can continue a dialog and find a compromise. The Archdiocese's plans for fire mitigation of the property seem very thorough and carefully considered by two well-qualified individuals; however, I take exception to their implication that if ECFPD can't adequately protect their retreat center, then how could they protect 43 homes that would go in instead?
  1. Homes are smaller
  2. homes won't require the purchase of a ladder truck that isn't in the budget for which the taxpayers would have to assume financial burden of after just passing a mill levy for new equipment
  3. additional homes wouldn't raise everyone else's insurance rates
  4. additional homes would add to the district's tax base/funding (see minute mark 2:28:00).
Their plans to create a 300,000 gallon water tank in addition to having a building that has sprinklers seems that it will help firefighting capability. They mentioned creating a second egress out of Douglas Ranch, but I'm not sure if that has been pursued in earnest. Having one owner of 247 acres makes it more likely that an egress can be created rather than trying to coordinate between 43 different land owners, so that is a plus, but I'd like to know that they are serious about planning that construction. The arguments that Staunton will eventually have camping with fire pits (thus raising fire risk) I don't believe compares since 1.) Staunton has full-time law enforcement on property 24/7 to keep an eye on things and enforce proper fire safety whereas Krogh Ranch will not, and 2.) as Chief McLaughlin mentioned, Staunton has had 35 years to plan and prepare for it.

I didn't hear of a wildlife study but it doesn't seem that they will be building so much that it would disrupt wildlife migration or habitat, though more information would be appreciated.

While this retreat will add to traffic congestion on our worst days/hours in the summer, and I had to shake my head a little at the gentleman who was citing traffic studies that call Friday and Sunday afternoons as "off-peak" (certainly must be based on city driving and not mountain traffic - even Casey Tighe disputed his argument there), the amount of traffic they will create is minimal compared to what comes through Staunton State Park each year. These guests coming up will be unfamiliar with the Shaffer's Crossing exit and it remains a dangerous intersection.

Some times of note in the hearing:
@7:25 One are of plan not in compliance - building higher than 35'
@10:42 Community concerns review
@13:05 Planning commission recommendation is to approve, 6-1 vote, approve 55' building, affected agencies must approve plan before STP can be approved
@13:45 Applicant and public comment/testimony period. Applicant mentioned they haven't met with Elk Creek Fire since August 11, 2015
@1:14:00 Chief McLaughlin
questions regarding Fire Marshall Shelly Hunter's letter contradicting Fire Chief's testimony
@1:56:00 Traffic
@2:05:00 Addressing fire mitigation concerns and impact on wildlife
@2:24:00 Addressed previous retreat that burned in Allenspark, looking at egress, studying landowner plots with possible road access
@2:28:00 retreat vs 43 homes (initial zoning allows for development of up to 43 homes on this land)
@2:40:00 Next step if re-zoning is approved. Site development must go through public hearing, agencies involved would get re-contacted, homeowners in area notified of public meetings, etc.
@2:25:00 camping and fire pits at camp vs at Staunton, proposed mitigation of property.

What do all of you think?

The following user(s) said Thank You: triciaaka, Love My Country

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds