Community Meeting Re: Rezoning Request for St Malo Catholic Center, Pine

19 Oct 2016 12:24 #71 by FNP
I stand corrected, I looked at old Forest Service information. I just checked the National Interagency Fire Center database: www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/fireInfo_stats_lightng-human.html . in 2015 about 85% of the fires were human caused.

The National Parks Service would understandably show a high percentage since thats where the people are. The bottom line remains the same; more people = more fires.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Love My Country

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Oct 2016 07:39 - 20 Oct 2016 07:40 #72 by Love My Country
Very thoughtful public comments, concerns and recommendations provided to Jeffco on the proposal -- over 40 as of yesterday. jeffco.us/amandaItoI/PublicDocs/ ... 20citizens)/3.%20Citizen%20Comments/?C=M;O=D

In particular I thought these from Randy Brame yesterday were noteworthy and solution-focused. Brame offers a preventive approach to block the most egregious problems seen up at the Archdiocese's previous retreat at St Malo in Allenspark CO.

"Recommendation Ideas:
· Approve only Initial Proposal size of 45,000 square feet; any expansion requires new approval.
· Retreat users charged a daily fee for fire protection – amount goes to Elk Creek Fire District
· Any PD approval includes restriction: no use by general public for lodging, camping, and
restaurant; all Retreat users are pre-registered, no drop-ins (was an issue in Boulder County)"

If you haven't submitted your recommendations by email yet to Jeffco, there is still time. Send to the Jeffco Case Manager for this rezoning request, Justin Montgomery: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Have a great day!

24 Oct 2016 06:27 - 24 Oct 2016 09:11 #73 by Love My Country
UPDATE: Received news this morning that, according to Elk Creek Fire Department Chief Bill Mclaughlin, the Archdiocese sent a proposal last week that does not meet the ECFD requests. So at this time, ECFD remains OPPOSED to the project.

Additionally, since August 24, Glenelk has been requesting a formal visual impact analysis from the Developer, because the largest structures will be placed on the hills just north of the property along S Elk Creek Road. Despite the fact the Developer's own 'balloon study' revealed that the largest structure will be visible to at least one home in the Glenelk Community (or perhaps because of it), on Thursday they refused to perform a formal visual impact analysis which would include images of the proposed structure superimposed on the site, both with and without tree screening. They advised Glenelk via email "we do not have the time" and haven't been directed to prepare any more than this.

PLEASE GET INVOLVED!!
Write Emails or letters to Jefferson County Commissioners and permit Case Manager. State your opposition, concerns, questions, or recommendations, AND include Case #16-105311RZ. Include all 4 email addresses:

Libby Szabo: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Casey Tighe: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Donald Rosier: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Justin Montgomery: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PUBLIC HEARING @ 8:00 a.m. OCTOBER 25 AT JEFFCO ADMIN BUILDING
100 Jefferson County Pkwy.
Admin and Courts Facility
Golden, CO 80419

24 Oct 2016 12:23 - 24 Oct 2016 12:27 #74 by Love My Country
10.24.2016 Elk Creek Fire Department Restates Opposition to Proposed Development. Full correspondence from Jeffco file attached, and excerpt here:

To: Justin Montgomery
Subject: Fwd: RE: Emmaus Catholic Retreat Center
Date: Monday, October 24, 2016 6:12:25 AM
Forwarded message
From: "Bill McLaughlin" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date: Oct 24, 2016 6:10 AM
Subject: RE: Emmaus Catholic Retreat Center
To: "Bob Saas" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Cc: "Diane Koenig" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>, "Deacon Hoffman"
<This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>, "Keith Parsons" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>, "Michael
Six" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>, "Jonathan Rosenthal" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>, "Lou
Bishop (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
All,
I am still assigned to the fire near Westcliffe. I have read the proposed MOU and it will not
work as written, primarily as it is not a binding document. The archdiocese could decide next
week to cancel these offers without any recourse. Further, this proposal certainly does not
meet the "good neighbor" claims that the archdiocese has been trying to make. Offering to ask
the residents to only subsidize half the cost of fire protection to the project is still asking the
residents of the fire district to subsidize the project. We will remain in opposition to the
project at this time.
Attachments:

24 Oct 2016 14:56 #75 by Mountain-News-Events
Here is the link to the Citizen Comments: jeffco.us/amandaItoI/PublicDocs/Rezoning...0Citizen%20Comments/

The BOCC Hearing is tomorrow at 8am at the Jeffco Administration Building, 100 Jefferson County Pkwy. Golden CO. If you cannot attend, it will be live-streamed . Here is the agenda:

File Attachment:

File Name: JeffcoBoar...enda.pdf
File Size:55 KB

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!
Attachments:

25 Oct 2016 08:26 #76 by Mountain-News-Events

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

25 Oct 2016 10:00 #77 by HappyCamper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mountain-News-Events

25 Oct 2016 12:37 #78 by Mountain-News-Events
They are continuing the rezoning request until December 6th.

25 Oct 2016 12:42 #79 by HappyCamper
I know Sharon is going to have a link to the meeting once it is available I encourage all to listen to the entire meeting.

There is a specific agenda for that next meeting.

25 Oct 2016 22:53 #80 by Mountain-News-Events
No meeting video posted yet, we'll keep checking.

Wildfire worries delay Jefferson County rezoning decision on Catholic retreat center
Commissioners will take up the Emmaus proposal again on Dec. 6
By John Aguilar | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
PUBLISHED: October 25, 2016 at 6:29 pm

GOLDEN — Jefferson County commissioners for the second time in as many months have postponed a vote on whether to allow a large Catholic retreat center near Conifer to move toward construction, deciding Tuesday afternoon that they needed more information on the potential wildfire hazards posed by the project.

The commissioners’ indecision was largely due to last-minute objections that Elk Creek Fire Protection District fire chief Bill McLaughlin expressed about his mostly volunteer department’s ability to provide fire protection to a facility that could have a structure exceeding 50 feet in height and guests numbering in the thousands per year.

McLaughlin, who was helping crews battle the Junkins fire on Tuesday, was unable to attend the hearing. That left the commissioners without answers to critical questions about the fire danger the Emmaus Catholic Retreat & Conference Center, planned for 247 acres just off U.S. 285 at Shaffers Crossing, could present to surrounding foothills neighborhoods.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds