Terrifying drive on 285!! I had forgotten all about black ice!

10 Oct 2018 09:21 #1 by ConradFam
Day 2 of commuting to Littleton from Bailey. I live about 6 miles up 43 so have that to drie before I get to 285. I turn on 285 from the Loaf and Jug where 43 starts. I took it slow and easy through the 43 part with not much issue. And was cruising quite nicely on 285 until I got just past Bailey! I saw people ahead of me braking so I braked and kept sliding and sliding! I nearly rearended someone but luckily I was able to get over. I never thought the sliding would stop. It had to have been the longest patch of ice ever. I haven't had to deal with that for 3 years! I lived in Ohio for 13 years and then Florida the past 3. It's been awhile! I am not used to black ice going downhill either. That was quite terrifying. I think I need a refresher winter driving course. My 18 years old son has never driven in winter weather so I am worried about him. UGH!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Oct 2018 09:42 #2 by ScienceChic
These are the days I hate the most. It's so dangerous out, yet we don't know until people start having problems. We posted the Freeze Warning that CDOT and the National Weather Service put out yesterday, but it was more for down the hill, I don't think they knew it would affect this high up in elevation. However, whenever those warnings go out, always be alert just in case because it can easily be more wide-spread, as we saw today.

Good tires, taking it slow, and remembering to make no sudden movements with the steering wheel (turn into the slide) or braking hard, and you'll do your best driving in snow and ice. As many like to say, four-wheel drive doesn't mean four-wheel stop! :) I used to downshift to slow down going downhill rather than use my brake. Having extra weight in the vehicle helps a lot, and it's not a bad idea to carry a shovel and kitty litter or sand (in addition to your emergency kit) in case you slide off and need to dig yourself out. The one time I hit black ice near Safeway and did a 180 before landing in the shallow ditch, I was lucky to have not hit anyone in the process and be able to drive out of it but 285 has some steeper shoulders where it's not so easy to get out without extra assistance.

The worst spots on 285: Turkey Creek Canyon because it gets less sun and it's tough to keep traction around those curves, and Windy Point because of drainage issues and the fact that bad weather seems to start there (and it's another curve you have to go slower for).

This might be helpful too! Preparing for Winter in the Mountains

On a side note, you've got some PMs from people interested in your boxes ConradFam! Go to your Profile Page to find them, or click the message underneath the Logout button on the right. :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Oct 2018 09:56 #3 by ConradFam
Thanks! Unfortunately my TV is not hooked up yet! . I can't find the remotes! Nor will I be able to get cable or Directv out where I live! My hubs does not want a pole put up. Directv said Dish might be able to do something. I haven't checked. I am here with my 18 year old now! My husband is back in Florida wrapping things up so I am a lone ranger for awhile longer. I did trade my car for a 4X4 pick up but I have only had it a few days. I did start using the downshift feature after that happened but it was still scary because I hadn't used it before so it was trial and error. Seemed to help though. Tomorrow I will be the one going 35 down the mountain! :) Don't worry, I'll stay to the right! LOL! As far as tires, mine are brand new (new vehicle) but not aggressive. It will be awhile before I will be able to buy some. I also need to find a place to get a couple of sandbags for the back of my truck. was hoping I'd have a little more time to not have to worry about this but nope!! :D

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds