Considering leaving the rat race behind and retiring abroad?

09 Apr 2021 10:05 #21 by FredHayek
Quite an interesting lifestyle choice. Uprooting yourself. What do you miss most about the US? I just read an article from an ex-pat living in Matzalan, and she said she missed certain American snacks. She would ask guests from the states to bring her some. She also would get lonely. The natives will never really accept you and while her Spanish is getting better, it can be hard to be fluent. She says she does best with one on one conversations. Do you hang out with other English speakers?
And like you said, it can be hard to find work if you want to keep yourself occupied. I know a couple Americans who live in Puerto Vallarta. They eventually got work visas because they were bored. (They were a 30 something same-sex couple.) One sold real estate, the other has a catering business.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Apr 2021 09:15 #22 by Wayne Harrison

FredHayek wrote: Quite an interesting lifestyle choice. Uprooting yourself. What do you miss most about the US? I just read an article from an ex-pat living in Matzalan, and she said she missed certain American snacks. She would ask guests from the states to bring her some. She also would get lonely. The natives will never really accept you and while her Spanish is getting better, it can be hard to be fluent. She says she does best with one on one conversations. Do you hang out with other English speakers?
And like you said, it can be hard to find work if you want to keep yourself occupied. I know a couple Americans who live in Puerto Vallarta. They eventually got work visas because they were bored. (They were a 30 something same-sex couple.) One sold real estate, the other has a catering business.

We didn't view it as an "uprooting," but a "re-planting," if I may continue with that analogy. My wife was born in the UK and her family emigrated to the United States, so she had already done that once before.

I didn't want to spend the end of my life in the same place I had been living for decades. I wanted to experience something new. There's a whole world out there. Why limit your life to the same spot?

Ticos (Costa Ricans) are much more friendly to foreigners than Mexicans, IMO. Many of them speak English, due to the large influx of tourists. Since COVID-19, we've limited our social interactions to two American couples that we have lunch with (separately) every week.

Many expats have cravings for things they can't get here and ask friends and family to "mule" down stuff. There's even a FB group dedicated to that. One thing I like about Costa Rica is the wide variety of imported stuff from South America, North America, Europe and China. For instance, you'll find Cadbury chocolate bars (imported from Canada) at most checkout stands. We drink wines from Chile, Argentina, Spain and the U.S.

Since we are in the land of sugar cane, it's cheaper to put real sugar in a product, rather than High Fructose Corn Syrup (you only find it in U.S. products). I grew up in Texas, so I'm kind of a cane sugar snob (no sugar beets for me).

The natives do accept Gringos who aren't loud-mouthed and rude. It's nice being greeted by my name when I go to the pharmacy, my local meat and pork guy, favorite restaurants, doctor and dentists.

You mileage may vary. It's not for everybody, but it's right for us.

12 Apr 2021 09:55 #23 by homeagain
My spouse was an Air Force "brat"...then he joined the Air Force,so-o-o he has lots of traveling in life. I,on
the other hand have lived in Colorado,Alaska (my "home"),even tho I am a 3rd gen Coloradan...We lived
in Conyers,Geo for 3 years...NOT a pleasant experience...first time with hi humidity...felt like walking thru half
congealed jello. First time I opened a window at 6AM,taking a deep breath of cool fresh air,NOT...stunned
at the sensation of heaviness and warmth...it was then I discovered...I MISS THE MOUNTAINS,I have
had those majestic pinnacles all of my life. WASILLA was our home in Alaska,Pioneer Peak, rises almost
6800 feet STRAIGHT UP, from sea level ,approx.200 feet. It was an awesome view from our breakfast nook.

So, when U decided to take the road less traveled...I am in awe of U.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne Harrison

12 Apr 2021 11:10 #24 by Wayne Harrison
We live at 3,600 feet, less than 5 miles from the Continental Divide, and about 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean.

13 Apr 2021 12:00 #25 by Pony Soldier
I had actually almost made the decision to retire down there but have reconsidered because of a pending grandkid. I think we'll just vacation there for now but may move in the future.

14 Apr 2021 09:09 #26 by Wayne Harrison
Another thing to consider: Costa Rica has strict gun control laws. You have to obtain a government permit, and that requires a mental health exam.

14 Apr 2021 09:20 #27 by FredHayek

Wayne Harrison wrote: Another thing to consider: Costa Rica has strict gun control laws. You have to obtain a government permit, and that requires a mental health exam.

If you want to do it legally...I remember during the Contra wars, the CIA would recruit locals to fight against the Sandinistas. These men would take their bonus pay and their rifle, desert to Costa Rica, and then sell the rifle there.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Apr 2021 10:50 #28 by Wayne Harrison
One of the CIA planes that supplied Contra rebels in Nicaragua and that had been captured was dewinged and trucked to Costa Rica by a restaurateur. It is now "El Avion Restaurante in Manuel Antonio.

Attachments:

15 Apr 2021 13:46 #29 by homeagain
COOL! would love to see inside and sample the food.....

15 Apr 2021 17:00 #30 by Wayne Harrison

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds