Considering leaving the rat race behind and retiring abroad?

17 Apr 2021 07:37 #31 by homeagain
Can U own land,as a gringo?...I think Hawaii will not allow new comers to own, I not sure on that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2021 08:00 #32 by Wayne Harrison
You can, but it's better to rent the first year or so (we're still renting). That way you can try different areas and not be stuck with a place that looked nice but isn't what you really wanted.

Also mortgages here are a year or less, with banks.

17 Apr 2021 08:09 #33 by homeagain

Wayne Harrison wrote: You can, but it's better to rent the first year or so (we're still renting). That way you can try different areas and not be stuck with a place that looked nice but isn't what you really wanted.

Also mortgages here are a year or less, with banks.

[/b]

THANKS, I do not understand the bolded...is land that inexpensive?

19 Apr 2021 08:54 #34 by Wayne Harrison
No. Gringo-type houses are expensive here, but banks only finance one year. That means you get owner financing, cash up front, or 12 really large monthly payments. \
In this country, houses are passed down from generation to generation. But also, unmarried mothers are given a small, unfurnished house, if they are homeless, that can't be sold until after the child turns 18.

19 Apr 2021 19:36 #35 by homeagain

Wayne Harrison wrote: No. Gringo-type houses are expensive here, but banks only finance one year. That means you get owner financing, cash up front, or 12 really large monthly payments. \
In this country, houses are passed down from generation to generation. But also, unmarried mothers are given a small, unfurnished house, if they are homeless, that can't be sold until after the child turns 18.

WHAT a concept....protecting your vulnerable population.....LESSONS to be learned by our nation.

20 Apr 2021 07:19 #36 by Freezeman
Our Nation needs more policies that discourage marriage HA?

20 Apr 2021 07:39 #37 by homeagain
I read it as PROTECTING CHILDREN and addressing the homeless issue.....children r the MOST vulnerable...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne Harrison

27 Apr 2021 09:53 #38 by Wayne Harrison
Sad news: Another American tourist has drowned in a rip current off one of Costa Rica's most popular beach towns. His body wasn't found for a week and they identified him through a chest tattoo and his swim suit.

According to the United States State Department, more Americans die of drowning in Costa Rica than from any other cause. Jaco Beach averages about 200 drownings a year, including both Costa Ricans and tourists.

The second and third causes for American deaths in Costa Rica are by suicide and in car crashes.

27 Apr 2021 13:08 #39 by homeagain
Does SURFING in your area have big waves? Is it a magnetic for body surfing/boards? Or just a casual
catch some sun and surf crowd....oh yes and what ABOUT SHARKS???

28 Apr 2021 21:18 #40 by Wayne Harrison
Yes, but not being an island in the middle of the ocean, they aren't the size of Hawaii most times. Costa Rica has great surfing on both the Pacific and the Caribbean.

You don't have to worry about sharks.

It's the crocodiles you have to worry about.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds