Considering leaving the rat race behind and retiring abroad?

29 Apr 2021 12:19 #41 by Wayne Harrison
Costa Rica, the Ideal Place Where Americans Would Like to Relocate in 2021

Costa Rica is one of the 10 countries in the world where Americans would go to live this 2021. This is revealed by the most recent list of the prestigious Travel & Leisure magazine in its April issue.

thecostaricanews.com/costa-rica-the-idea...cating-to-this-2021/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2021 13:23 #42 by homeagain
It will be interesting to WATCH what happens....when they publish 10 best cities to retire in USA....it
explodes within 1 or two years...MONTROSE has been discovered,as has the Western slope. There
is more traffic,more crime, more NEW BUILTS, more people...just 6 years ago,it was a non de-script
agriculture based little berg.....Grand Jct has become "the city"....most chain stores are in G. Jct., it
is kinda like HIGHLAND RANCH or that general area.

30 Apr 2021 21:02 #43 by FredHayek

homeagain wrote: It will be interesting to WATCH what happens....when they publish 10 best cities to retire in USA....it
explodes within 1 or two years...MONTROSE has been discovered,as has the Western slope. There
is more traffic,more crime, more NEW BUILTS, more people...just 6 years ago,it was a non de-script
agriculture based little berg.....Grand Jct has become "the city"....most chain stores are in G. Jct., it

Really? My sister is trying to sell her home in Grand Junction but she claims the economy is depressed because the shale market has tanked. She needs to find retirees to buy it.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 Apr 2021 22:04 - 30 Apr 2021 22:07 #44 by Wayne Harrison
The Colorado oil shale market collapsed a long time ago, I thought. Back in the 80s?

01 May 2021 06:45 - 01 May 2021 06:48 #45 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote:

homeagain wrote: It will be interesting to WATCH what happens....when they publish 10 best cities to retire in USA....it

Really? My sister is trying to sell her home in Grand Junction but she claims the economy is depressed because the shale market has tanked. She needs to find retirees to buy it.

[/b]

I think ANOTHER realtor IS REQUIRED....the new developer of my defunct sub division is based out of Gr].
Jct. and the market is HOT....BUT, location,location,location is always the mantra. IF her house is
at the entry level 200,250 or under it should have been SOLD. Depending upon conditions of house,
EVERYTHING is being snapped up...HIGH ENDS are going like there is no tomorrow. Flipping redo's
is big also....her house should have been SOLD.

01 May 2021 06:50 #46 by homeagain
Just read yesterday....CORONA is coming back into C.R. and the gov. is making changes to mitigate
damage,have U seen that piece of news and have U seen any repercussions?

01 May 2021 08:53 #47 by FredHayek
Wayne, how does it feel to be part of the 1%? In Costa Rica, you are the landed gentry.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 May 2021 07:56 #48 by Wayne Harrison

homeagain wrote: Just read yesterday....CORONA is coming back into C.R. and the gov. is making changes to mitigate
damage,have U seen that piece of news and have U seen any repercussions?

COVID-19 never left, so it can't be making a comeback. The daily case counts are higher than the previous peak and yes, there have been repercussions. The government has shut down all non-essential services this week, including restaurants. They can only offer food to go. Driving is restricted by the last digit of your license plate number. I can't drive on Wednesday this week and Saturday. (This restriction will continue for the rest of the month). A 9 pm driving curfew is in force. City parks are closed. There's a lot of other stuff that I can't think of at the moment. It's mostly spreading because young adults are having big parties, I think. In town, I hardly see anyone not wearing a mask.

We're just thankful the government here offered COVID-19 vaccinations to everyone, including us, at no charge.

04 May 2021 08:08 - 04 May 2021 08:27 #49 by Wayne Harrison

FredHayek wrote: Wayne, how does it feel to be part of the 1%? In Costa Rica, you are the landed gentry.

Not quite. We don't own land or a house. We rent.

We're maybe upper middle-class here, same as we were in the U.S. Surgeons are the highest paid, with the top salaries at about $290,000 USD a year.

www.salaryexplorer.com/best-paying-jobs.php?loc=52&loctype=1

Salary here is figured at 13 months, since all Ticos get a month's extra pay on Dec. 15, by law. This works is the employer offers a yearly salary and divides that by 13. If by the hour, the extra 160 hours is figured into the payment equation. Taxes and healthcare payments are deducted, just as in the U.S.

04 May 2021 09:18 #50 by homeagain
so-o-o, it appears we have the SAME situation here( in country)....young adults R driving the "FREE"
finally "fun time"....it will be interesting to watch the result...here in Montrose country we R green,meaning
we R stable in numbers and seeing decreases.....lots of maskless people, 100 % capacity in dining.(Yikes)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds