Safeway, King Soopers or Walmart

26 May 2010 17:46 #11 by pound dog mom
Since my shopping motto is "if it is not on sale, I do not need it this week" we shop at both SW and KS. Wal-Mart is a little out of the way but I like the super center in El Rancho when I get out there.

I love the vastness of SW and the specialty counters (the sushi is not bad if you have them make it while you wait.) KS reminds me of the Piggly Wigglys we had when I lived in ND just the open doors, come on in, heck I halfway expect saw dust on the floor. Plus KS has that little area I can take my dogs out to and they are so spoiled that they expect their little walk if we are at the store.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jul 2010 08:27 #12 by The Viking
I keep finding better prices at Wal Mart lately. So I have been picking up a lot more there everytime I am down on 470.

12 Jul 2010 08:47 #13 by ComputerBreath
Pricewise, the commissary at the base (either Buckley or Peterson...but Buckley has a better store) is where I go. City Market in Breckenridge is the nearest chain store, and their meat sucks. I buy milk and bread there as their prices are equivalent or cheaper than the bases and the quality is the same, sometimes I'll pick up other items (pre-packaged usually).

Safeway is out of the way for me to shop at, though I will stop sometimes when I'm on my way back from Denver. In order for me to go shopping I have to plan, as I usually make it to the base once every 4 to 6 weeks, depending on what I need. One of those runs is what I call a "meat run" where mostly what I buy is meat. It takes me all day...we usually leave Fairplay about 8 am and don't get back until 4:30 or 5, but believe me it is worth it.

An example of the price difference: Oscar Meyer Center Cut Bacon is $2.50 per package at the commissary...at City Market in Breckenridge it is about $6.00!!

12 Jul 2010 13:22 #14 by stcroix2
Generally it's Safeway for their Super Supreme Skim Milk, Walmart for their Peppers, KS for their fruit, and Scanga Meats down in Salida for Meat... all the rest just happens for us at whatever market we are at. Diane watches the prices, I'm not as price conscious, unless the price is way out'a line. Our local market, Prathers is pretty decent, when compared to what we had up here previously they are F A N T A S T I C! You've seen a mechanic's hands, well, that is how our Store Clerks' looked... it was ridiculous, and thanks to good old capitalism, they went broke.

12 Jul 2010 15:33 #15 by FredHayek
Kings mainly, but Costco every couple of months too.

BTW, I prefer going to non-grocery Wal-Marts and Targets. Once they offer both, it seems like the they hurt selection on the non-groceries and the groceries don't seem fresh enough, maybe not enough turnover?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Jul 2010 15:56 #16 by Abner
King's is my choice, I love the Boar's Head deli. Also every $50 spent, King's gives me 200 free cell minutes and the gas discount at Loaf N Jug.
I wish all King's would go back to the old store layout and offer more foods and less non-food products. Patio furniture? - That's what Wal-Mart is for!

13 Jul 2010 09:03 #17 by wildiris
Prefer KING SOOPERS!

13 Jul 2010 09:04 #18 by JMC
Kings usually seems more crowded to me. This poll reflects that pretty well.

13 Jul 2010 12:51 #19 by Maizy
Safeway for me. I go to Kings once in a while, but always go back to Safeway. I like Safeway's layout much better. I do like the Boars Head at King's, and I like their large selection of non-food items. I think Safeway's people are much friendlier.

15 Jul 2010 14:04 - 15 Jul 2010 14:10 #20 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Safeway, King Soopers or Walmart

residenttroll wrote: I like the ambiance of SW.

"The ambiance" of a grocery store?...ha ha ha ha ha

I just can't image any man I know, or any man, boy or male toddler in my family saying "I don't like the ambiance in King Suuuuperrss".

RT, do you have a lisp?

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds