Tourists - a short rant

05 Sep 2010 22:49 #1 by Local_Historian
We got to Coney Island for dinner tonight, about 7 pm, tons of people there, long line.

Expected, right? after all, summer dinner time, it is the middle of a holiday weekend.

Women in front of us complain and complain and complain about the length of the line and the time it is taking. And that it is getting cold. Hello, nighttime, fall, mountains! But still they stay in ine, and place their order. The boy tells them it will be several minutes.

five minutes later they are back in the door, talking to the boy at the cash register. He is very nice to them, ends up giving them a refund. They are snarky and bitchy and nasty to him for no reason other than "this takes too long".

It's not McDonald's, it's a cook to order restaurant. If you were in a sit down restaurant, it would take just as long - would you be jumping out of your seat demanding a refund if your steak took longer than 5 minutes? No? Then don't expect every restaurant that is not high end to be fast like a fast food place.

It's tourists like that that give the rest a bad name, and make the locals long for the long weekend to be over.

So if the owner/manager reads this - or someone wants to pass it along - the kids were doing great tonight, especially in light of the crowds even after dark. Don't be hard on them about the refunds - it was totally not their fault, at least in one case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Sep 2010 09:08 #2 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Tourists - a short rant
Maybe they need a snarky sign or one of those timer signs you see at ammusement parks. "from this point approximately 20 minutes to place your order".

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

06 Sep 2010 11:43 #3 by PondLady
Replied by PondLady on topic Tourists - a short rant
It doesn't just happen at Coney Island and it's not just tourists...

06 Sep 2010 12:06 #4 by MalamuteMom
Replied by MalamuteMom on topic Tourists - a short rant
Amen to that. I get bitched at for being late due to accidents, breakdowns, traffic, riders who need directions or other help. It's all beyond my control. People are generally ruder and more impatient these days, it's just the tourists and holiday weekend that make it worse for everyone.

06 Sep 2010 14:56 #5 by Wayne Harrison
I guess it depends on your definition of "fast food."

Perhaps the tourists were expecting to be served in a timely manned and just pulled off the highway for a quick snack.

When I was a kid, we didn't have fast food. We only had slow food.

06 Sep 2010 15:08 #6 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Tourists - a short rant
Fast food = antelope

Regards,
Major Bean

06 Sep 2010 20:00 #7 by Travelingirl

Wayne Harrison wrote: I guess it depends on your definition of "fast food."

Perhaps the tourists were expecting to be served in a timely manned and just pulled off the highway for a quick snack.

When I was a kid, we didn't have fast food. We only had slow food.

You're old.

07 Sep 2010 07:30 #8 by pound dog mom
I guess I still believe in the old saying, treat people the way you want to be treated. I like to be nice to people and have people be nice to me. All these grumpy people should live somewhere where rudeness is just a way of life. In Los Angles, you are afraid to even look at someone wrong for fear of your life. Maybe, if they went there for a while they would calm their booties down. Heck fast food... you cannot even order in most of the places because they do not understand you so it takes an forever just to place an order (and then it is usually wrong.) No way, I will take the long lines at Coney Island with the great kids that work there and their ability to service me as best they can with all the weekenders.

07 Sep 2010 09:49 #9 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Tourists - a short rant
I don't go there because it IS so slow.

07 Sep 2010 09:50 #10 by Scooby72
Replied by Scooby72 on topic Tourists - a short rant
I just posted a bit of a rant regarding 285 traffic and crappy drivers in the Ring. :)

This weekend was just obnxious - hopefully it will slow down a bit.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds