Would you be interested in paid private forums? Poll

09 Oct 2010 16:01 #11 by The Viking

JMC wrote: Just for clarification, somebody wanted to discuss politics with like minded people only and said the opposing views were not letting a serious dialogue take place. The suggestion was that he would like a forum to only have discussion with people of the same political persuasion. He offered to pay for his own area so we thought we would see what all of you thought.
Thanks

Oooooohhhh...... Now I get it. Kind of like Jonestown. Jim Jones wants all of the like minded thinking people to be in one place so that won't hear opposing sides of the issues or be influenced with the facts. They want to be isolated where no one will confuse them and they can all have a love fest with their own opinions whether they are correct or not and no one can point out differently. All the way up until it is time to drink the koolaid again. That is a perfect analogy and it fits. Let them do it if they want. If they don't like to have adult debates with opposing views and opinions, then they should just lock themselves in their own little room and just pat each other on the back, totally oblivious as to what is happening in the real world. :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Oct 2010 16:05 #12 by The Viking
Looking at the poll, I don't see much traction for this. It just seems it would divide the site. And people can always block those who they don't want to read and continue all debates with others. As someone said, I know it may be a revenue generator for you but I don't think it is good for the site. I think many people on one side or the other will drift into those 'feel good' rooms and we won't have as many posters in certain forums which will then make those who stay in the ring and the courthouse, tired of talking to the same few who stayed.

09 Oct 2010 16:12 #13 by archer

The Viking wrote:

JMC wrote: Just for clarification, somebody wanted to discuss politics with like minded people only and said the opposing views were not letting a serious dialogue take place. The suggestion was that he would like a forum to only have discussion with people of the same political persuasion. He offered to pay for his own area so we thought we would see what all of you thought.
Thanks

Oooooohhhh...... Now I get it. Kind of like Jonestown. Jim Jones wants all of the like minded thinking people to be in one place so that won't hear opposing sides of the issues or be influenced with the facts. They want to be isolated where no one will confuse them and they can all have a love fest with their own opinions whether they are correct or not and no one can point out differently. All the way up until it is time to drink the koolaid again. That is a perfect analogy and it fits. Let them do it if they want. If they don't like to have adult debates with opposing views and opinions, then they should just lock themselves in their own little room and just pat each other on the back, totally oblivious as to what is happening in the real world. :thumbsup:

Oh boy....here I go saying viking has nailed it....

robin......I understand what you say about inviting only certain people to your home, but this isn't a home it's a community message board, and one that has stated that all are welcome and will not be moderated (except for certain stated violations). Having a private area on a public board is a form of moderation that says....hey, you are not welcome here in this part of the board. Once again I urge those who want their own forum to start their own board, it really isn't hard to do and for a private board not expensive either.

09 Oct 2010 16:14 #14 by The Viking

archer wrote:

The Viking wrote:

Thanks

Oh boy....here I go saying viking has nailed it....

robin......I understand what you say about inviting only certain people to your home, but this isn't a home it's a community message board, and one that has stated that all are welcome and will not be moderated (except for certain stated violations). Having a private area on a public board is a form of moderation that says....hey, you are not welcome here in this part of the board. Once again I urge those who want their own forum to start their own board, it really isn't hard to do and for a private board not expensive either.

We agreed twice in one day. We need to get together for a drink and celebrate!

09 Oct 2010 16:28 #15 by archer

The Viking wrote: We agreed twice in one day. We need to get together for a drink and celebrate!

Come on down to AZ and I'll have a cold ale waiting for ya......or a raincheck till spring. I really do hate this feeling of being in exile, though I did get 3 days at home in CO last week!

09 Oct 2010 16:44 #16 by Nmysys
I have now read through all the replies while thinking about the original question, and I have to say that I agree with the majority that paid forums would be divisive, and at the same time am feeling guilty for my own divisive actions recently. Maybe I'm finally growing up! I shudder at that thought!

Sorry 285Bound Crew.

09 Oct 2010 17:23 #17 by serenity
"only have discussion with people of the same political persuasion" - JMC

Sorry to say - veddy, veddy boring.........sounds like a "mutual admiration society." Some might call it a "circle _____." :bs:

To err is human, to forgive is canine~

09 Oct 2010 17:38 #18 by major bean
I do not see any harm that could come of forums which are hosted by 285Bound. I cannot imagine members avoiding the forums that you provide without charge to only post in the private forums.
One guideline that I would suggest is that the threads in a hosted forum should not be viewable by those who are not members. The reason is easily divined.

Regards,
Major Bean

09 Oct 2010 17:49 #19 by robin

285 Bound wrote: owning their own forum on our site. The paid forum would be their own and they would be able to pick their own members and discuss any topics they choose.

Maybe I misunderstood this...but from the above it sounds like they would own their own forum and that it would be hosted by the owners of 285bound for a fee. From what I gather it would not be part of this community website, therefore, would not affect it at all.

09 Oct 2010 17:57 #20 by major bean

robin wrote: Maybe I misunderstood this...but from the above it sounds like they would own their own forum and that it would be hosted by the owners of 285bound for a fee. From what I gather it would not be part of this community website, therefore, would not affect it at all.

My understanding is that the forum would be another forum on this board. So it would technically be a part of this community. But that is merely an assumption.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds