Would you be interested in paid private forums? Poll

09 Oct 2010 10:42 #1 by MyMountainTown
285bound.com has had inquiries from some individuals that have expressed interest in owning their own forum on our site. The paid forum would be their own and they would be able to pick their own members and discuss any topics they choose. We are curious what our members think.

Would you be interested in paid private forums?

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Oct 2010 10:58 #2 by archer
I think you might be opening a whole can of worms with that idea.....setting up cliques within the 285Bound community where you have to be invited to join. It could well cause a feeling of the "in crowd" vs the "outsiders". I would suggest to those who want their own forum that they set up their own message board outside of 285Bound. I know of several boards that limit the membership to friends etc. I realize it might be a source of income, but the downside is you lose the sense of an inclusive community that you are trying to foster.

09 Oct 2010 12:07 #3 by Hoot Owl
Sounds like the back rooms at Pinecam. Archer is correct, sets up cliques.

09 Oct 2010 12:18 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Would you be interested in paid private forums? Poll
Back rooms are not public, I think that may be a bit different.

09 Oct 2010 12:25 #5 by CC
It sounded like a great idea when I first heard but, after reading archer's post...I think she may be right.

09 Oct 2010 12:50 #6 by Local_Historian
Personally? Not interested. But if other people think they cannot live without it and they're willing to pop cash in your pocket for it, then go for it.

09 Oct 2010 13:35 #7 by The Viking
Scary to say but I totally agree with archer on this one. I thought this site was about bringing everyone we could in our community together. We can all discuss local businesses and the community together. Not sure why people would feel the need to discuss with just a select few individuals about certain topics. I thought that is what email is for? Or if it is their business, then they can have a website to direct those certain individuals to, to discuss things.

09 Oct 2010 13:42 #8 by JMC
Just for clarification, somebody wanted to discuss politics with like minded people only and said the opposing views were not letting a serious dialogue take place. The suggestion was that he would like a forum to only have discussion with people of the same political persuasion. He offered to pay for his own area so we thought we would see what all of you thought.
Thanks

09 Oct 2010 15:01 #9 by cydl
Why not do that in email?

09 Oct 2010 15:12 #10 by robin

JMC wrote: Just for clarification, somebody wanted to discuss politics with like minded people only and said the opposing views were not letting a serious dialogue take place. The suggestion was that he would like a forum to only have discussion with people of the same political persuasion. He offered to pay for his own area so we thought we would see what all of you thought.
Thanks

I find this an interesting concept. If someone wants to pay to have their own area, why not accommodate them? It doesn't mean that they will not continue to participate in other forums, it only means they would like a place which would be private yet still be a forum type place, unlike public forums, facebook and the like.

As far as private areas (mentioned in another post), such as "backrooms", every forum I know of has that, not just Pinecam! I have a new forum and it also has a "backroom". It's a place where you can discuss server problems and technical issues, kick around ideas about your forum, and yes....even discuss problems concerning members and things like that. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Back to the paid private area, it's like inviting people into your home...you don't allow just anyone in there who wants to come! :)

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds