How about a Kindness/Help Needed Forum

14 May 2010 11:06 #1 by Sunshine Girl
Ok, not trying to bring up a bad subject here or be a buzz kill here but I WOULD REALLY love to have a separete forum where people in our community can feel free asking for help. My personal feeling is that it's harder to ask for help than to not say anything. Maybe all you have to offer/ask for is a prayer. Maybe it's help with a bill. Perhaps you're struggling to provide something for your child. To me (JMO) it doesn't matter. If you're in need and willing to ask for help, then I would at least like to hear about your needs. Maybe I can help, maybe I can't.

IMO what happened regarding this issue at another site (wink wink) was the worst of what our community is about. I would like to think we've all come a long way since then and can take what we've learned (what we all did right and wrong) and come back better and stronger.

I know these are tough times, but for a lot of people out there even better financial times can still be tough.

So, maybe you're saying, "What is it that you want?" I would like a forum that is solely for people who need our help. No mean comments or judgements. If a thread of someone needing help bothers you then don't go in there. Period. I would rather try to help someone than say, "Take it behind closed doors." That is just wrong IMO!

Anyways, what do you all think? Too me helping each other out is THE BEST THING about a great community. Thoughts....

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 May 2010 11:14 #2 by Rockdoc
Good point. We are here to help our neighbors whatever their needs may be. I'm game and willing whenever possible. It makes it easier to help those truly in need when there is a focal point. Make it happen.

14 May 2010 11:20 #3 by MyMountainTown
Hi,

At this point we have a community Events and News Forum. I think those posts would be welcome there. We can tweak the description a little bit for it.

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

14 May 2010 11:29 #4 by Sunshine Girl
Ok. I was trying to avoid mixing multiple things together because it seemed like that was a problem before. However, just starting off it might make sense.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

14 May 2010 11:38 #5 by MyMountainTown

Rockdocs Sunshine Girl wrote: Ok. I was trying to avoid mixing multiple things together because it seemed like that was a problem before. However, just starting off it might make sense.

That is fine. We are still changing things. We don't want to have too many forum topics but what if we do this? We can make a subfourm in that topic.

720-608-0285

14 May 2010 11:50 #6 by Sunshine Girl
That sounds great! Then if people don't want to see or to read about this subject they won't. :woo hoo: Thank you!!!!!

14 May 2010 12:47 #7 by The Viking

285 Bound wrote:

Rockdocs Sunshine Girl wrote: Ok. I was trying to avoid mixing multiple things together because it seemed like that was a problem before. However, just starting off it might make sense.

That is fine. We are still changing things. We don't want to have too many forum topics but what if we do this? We can make a subfourm in that topic.

Not sure this would work but could it be a forum where the requests just go to a few administrators who can then post it annonymously? Some may really need help but be afraid or ashamed to ask if everyone can see who it comes from. At least the request would be out there for people to help.

Kind of like the Christmas tree when people put their requests on the tree for a doll for a 7 year old girl or for clothes for a 10 year old boy, but you don't know who it is going to. If the person willing to help wants or needs to know who it is, then they can but not everyone on the site. Or if someone needs clothes for thier kids or food or anything, it can be posted and people can offer to help but only the few who get the requests know who it goes to. Does that make sense?

I know you are just getting started and have a lot on your plate so that can be food for thought later.

14 May 2010 15:06 #8 by LopingAlong
Viking, I love that idea! The problems can be handled as they arise--for example, no one should post how much help they did or did not give. Keep THAT private. Posting annonymously makes a lot of sense and if it turns out that someone keeps asking for more and more and more, then maybe there should be some sort of limit imposed. Like you can't ask for your rent to be paid every month for 3 years; that sort of thing.

It's good to be able to help and to ask for help and to have a community that is willing to give is fabulous. I think suggesting a Pay it Forward attitude is also good!

14 May 2010 15:13 - 10 Dec 2014 11:54 #9 by MyMountainTown
Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the great ideas. Keep them coming. We love your input!! We are going over it all and not changing things in a piece by piece way. We will go through all the information then decide how to implement your ideas. This is still a beta version so we will be making changes. . So, keep giving us the ideas and we will look at them all and try to implement them in the next version. You may see some of them right before going really public with the site or soon.

Thanks again.

720-608-0285

14 May 2010 18:15 #10 by Sunshine Girl

LopingAlong wrote: Viking, I love that idea! The problems can be handled as they arise--for example, no one should post how much help they did or did not give. Keep THAT private. Posting annonymously makes a lot of sense and if it turns out that someone keeps asking for more and more and more, then maybe there should be some sort of limit imposed. Like you can't ask for your rent to be paid every month for 3 years; that sort of thing.

It's good to be able to help and to ask for help and to have a community that is willing to give is fabulous. I think suggesting a Pay it Forward attitude is also good!

I think a combo of a public and private way to ask for help would be awesome Viking. That way no one has to feel like this is a taboo subject or has to feel ashamed. And some people are much more private as well. However, I see no reason why people can't also post "a need" in a public forum if they want to.

As far as people abusing the system then people will just stop helping them. I LOVE THE PAY IT FORWARD idea. That's really what all this is about anyways. If someone has an unexpected bill that came up and is really stressed by it then bartering is a great idea too.

I would rather give people the benefit of the doubt than close doors because I'm afraid someone might abuse the forum. It's the same thing as if you have something for sale and nobody buys it. Ok then. We all need a hand sometimes. There is no shame in that whatsoever. And if it has it's "own area" to go then why would people be uncomfortable with it. I think sometimes there is such a stigma attached to this kind of thing and I think that's the biggest shame of all. :peace:

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds