The 10 most dangerous toys of your childhood

15 Nov 2010 08:58 #11 by Grady
It was actually my dad’s toy Fire engine. So probably Circa 1920s. All steel, the ladder was spring loaded and would smack you in the head if you weren’t paying attention. I used to use the ladder as a catapult to launch small rocks, green walnuts, small cars, and maybe little green army guys. It was more of a siege engine than a fire truck to me.
The link below looks exactly like it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 8Aa1v5iGDw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Nov 2010 09:10 #12 by TPP
Steel wheeled skateboards, and very small rocks hurt.
My Dad & Mom wouldn't give me a B-B gun, until I passed the NRA test, (they were instructors).
Organe fights, dirt clod fights, under ground forts, tree houses, (felt out a couple times), took care of horses, so got bit, and the one stomped on my foot... There's so much more, stepping on nails, that needed stiches, My buddy, step on one end of a board, it popped up and the nail hit him right in the middle of his forehead, as far as I know the scar is still there...

15 Nov 2010 09:15 #13 by ScienceChic
Wow. I really can't think of any. We had lawn darts, but only played them with Dad so there was always an adult present. My brother and I still have never broken a bone between us, he only had stitches once after falling into our fireplace hearth head first, but that was it. Either we were really lucky, or played carefully, or both I guess! Mostly we were outside, running up and down our creek and 18 acres of hillside forest playing...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Nov 2010 09:35 #14 by HEARTLESS
Of my own, a Crossman 760 pump pellet/bb gun. Learned the cost of "know your target AND WHATS BEYOND IT." Took out several neighbors garage windows, worked it off at home doing yard work. And people wonder why I live in the mountains, only yard tools are chainsaws and splitters now. :lol:
Friend had all the neat and really dangerous stuff. Remember playing chicken with the big jarts/lawn darts thrown skyward. No deaths or serious injuries, we did get smarter after a few close calls.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

15 Nov 2010 10:18 #15 by RenegadeCJ

Science Chic wrote: Wow. I really can't think of any. We had lawn darts, but only played them with Dad so there was always an adult present. My brother and I still have never broken a bone between us, he only had stitches once after falling into our fireplace hearth head first, but that was it. Either we were really lucky, or played carefully, or both I guess! Mostly we were outside, running up and down our creek and 18 acres of hillside forest playing...

We played "Defensive lawn darts". One person on each team got to be "defense". You put on a football helmet, and could grab/knock the other team's darts out before they landed. If you caught them, it was a bonus point.

We also played all foul 21. Typical basketball game of 21, but you didn't take turns. You just had to get the ball and shoot. You could foul all you wanted, and if the ball ended up in grass, tackling was fair game.

Full contact tackle football with no protective equipment.

Ahhh...the memories!

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

15 Nov 2010 10:55 #16 by pacamom
I rode my bike without a helmet. Sledded with one of those metal/wood sleds. Rode horses bareback without a helmet.

Made boats from 2x4's when I was about 4. Using a real hammer - I do have a picture of that somewhere.

Used to jump off the sandbox playhouse, till I jumped right on a nail. Couldn't get my tennis shoe off because it was nailed to my foot.

Go-karting on a highway that was under construction.

The most dangerous thing of all??? I walked to/from school starting in 1st grade. About a mile each way.

I had lawn darts too. (Jarts!). Now the safe version is lawn dice. LOL

15 Nov 2010 11:02 #17 by Grady

TPP wrote: Steel wheeled skateboards, and very small rocks hurt.
My Dad & Mom wouldn't give me a B-B gun, until I passed the NRA test, (they were instructors).
Organe fights, dirt clod fights, under ground forts, tree houses, (felt out a couple times), took care of horses, so got bit, and the one stomped on my foot... There's so much more, stepping on nails, that needed stiches, My buddy, step on one end of a board, it popped up and the nail hit him right in the middle of his forehead, as far as I know the scar is still there...

My dad wouldn't let me get a BB gun, he thought they lead to bad habits. I did get a .22 when I was 12 after passing the Hunter Safety.
I did almost put my own eye out with a neighbors BB gun so I guess he was right. We also discovered that you could shoot wooden strike anywhere matches out of a BB gun, and they would light if you bounced the matches off something hard. Pretty cool on a summer’s night. :Whistle

15 Nov 2010 11:18 #18 by Wayne Harrison
I Facebooked this link. Thanks, CG!

15 Nov 2010 12:17 #19 by daisychain
My dad made me a sling shot when I was 8. My grandpa gave me a huge bag of marbles that same year! :Whistle

15 Nov 2010 14:17 #20 by TPP
[center:h7iewnsc]WARNING GRAPHIC!!!! [/center:h7iewnsc]

Hell, my latest was when I slipped, (on black ice and landed on my sun glasses) Left a blood trail up the driveway. MY toy ATC w/plow.

"WE don't need no Stink ‘in, stitches", just some instruction from me, some Sturry ,<sp?> Strips, while Wiffie taped me up, and it worked.

NOTE: Also “Breathe-Right” strips work very well.

[center:h7iewnsc]WARNING GRAPHIC!!!! [/center:h7iewnsc]

Broken bones, the bone part of my nose playing "flag football" cracks in a lot of bones, like when the horse stomped on my foot, ribs, arms, and got in a fight guy got in a kidney punch, try hiding that from your parents, go thing I had 3 younger sister, (2 in there teens, I will not go into detail).
I had a great childhood, but there are always some parts you'll hide in the little dark room, with the locked door and still some how thing get loose...

I may be getting older, BUT I refuse to GROW UP!

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds