Would you risk your life to save your dog?

06 Jun 2010 09:17 #1 by Wayne Harrison
Woman Drowns Trying To Save Dog From Canal

LARIMER COUNTY, Colo. -- A woman who jumped in 40-degree water to save her dog from a canal drowned Saturday afternoon.

The woman, whose name wasn't released pending an autopsy, lived at Eden Valley, a Seventh Day Adventist Church community just west of Loveland. The canal runs alongside Eden Valley.

According to Loveland Fire and Rescue, the woman was hiking with her dog and a friend, when her dog jumped into the canal. She jumped in after the dog. The dog got out on its own, while the woman was swept downstream.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23 ... etail.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2010 09:23 #2 by serenity
Yes - it would be a visceral response - no thought - my dogs are my family. It is not the smart thing to do, but I believe it would just be automatic.

To err is human, to forgive is canine~

06 Jun 2010 09:30 #3 by JMC

serenity wrote: Yes - it would be a visceral response - no thought - my dogs are my family. It is not the smart thing to do, but I believe it would just be automatic.

Exactly, I couldn't help myself.

06 Jun 2010 09:45 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I don't think I've ever seen a sign like that before that says "Certain Death If Entered."

Here's the video report on her death:

[clipsynd:3tsfkarg] www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/1499816?wpid=8958 [/clipsynd:3tsfkarg]

06 Jun 2010 13:17 #5 by JRSK
I don't know how I would react.... It's a sad sorry and I hope it doesn't happen again!!

06 Jun 2010 13:20 #6 by Sunshine Girl
As much as I love my dog I have 3 kids to think about. I would try everything short of putting myself in mortal danger though. My kids love our dog too, but they love their mom more.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

06 Jun 2010 13:29 #7 by Hoot Owl
I think it was just an unfortunate knee jerk reaction. I trust my dogs ability to swim more than mine. Going in after a dog is foolish, they will likely climb on you and make matters worse

06 Jun 2010 13:31 #8 by LopingAlong
Yes, I would, no thought needed. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd risk my life for someone else's dog. To clarify though, I would first look for another solution, not just jump into a swift moving canal. :dog:

06 Jun 2010 13:38 #9 by Hoot Owl
Would the size of the dog matter? If you are going to jump in, wouldnt it make more sense to get in front of the animal rather than chasing it? All in all a very sad outcome.

06 Jun 2010 13:57 #10 by pound dog mom
I would also take the leap and try to save the animal (not just my own). If I was certain they were beyond being able to get out on their own I just know all common sense would leave me at that moment.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds